Reload this Page >

Recce Trip - Travellers cheques

Recce Trip - Travellers cheques

Old Jul 25th 2007, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

Darren M is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recce Trip - Travellers cheques

Hi,

I'm going to Calgary in a couple of months on a recce trip staying with a friend I know. I visited a couple of years ago and found it was problematic getting travellers cheques changed. This time I was considering taken some dollars to cover for the first few days and then using an ATM for the remainder of the two weeks. Does anyone have any advice?

Darren
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice
Default Re: Recce Trip - Travellers cheques

the only thing i would note is the bank charges in the UK for withdrawing (your own!) money via the ATMs!
depends on who you bank with as to how much they charge!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:10 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce Trip

Originally Posted by Darren M
Hi,

I'm going to Calgary in a couple of months on a recce trip staying with a friend I know. I visited a couple of years ago and found it was problematic getting travellers cheques changed. This time I was considering taken some dollars to cover for the first few days and then using an ATM for the remainder of the two weeks. Does anyone have any advice?

Darren
We went in march and found it was erratic whether or not our cards would work. Some worked in some places and others worked in others. So try to take a range!
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:11 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by thundercat600
the only thing i would note is the bank charges in the UK for withdrawing (your own!) money via the ATMs!
depends on who you bank with as to how much they charge!
Thanks, I'll enquire about that before making up my mind.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:13 am
Lloydminster AB

kate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond reputekate white has a reputation beyond repute

we alway took cash saves any bother and banks cant charge you
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:13 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by gryphea
We went in march and found it was erratic whether or not our cards would work. Some worked in some places and others worked in others. So try to take a range!
Thanks for the advice, can you remember what the bank charges for making the withdrawls were?
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:15 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the advice, can you remember what the bank charges for making the withdrawls were?
I can't really remember. I think it may have been free for transactions and 1 or 2 quid for withdrawels

really not sure though
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:16 am
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Hi,

Darren

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...442788&page=11

Post #418
Old Jul 26th 2007, 12:30 am
BE Enthusiast

thundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nicethundercat600 is just really nice

Originally Posted by smitp11
was going to mention nationwide but didn't!
just remember that if you with draw cash from the credit card you will get charged, but fine for making purchases
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:10 am
Forum Regular

ill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the roughill_only_miss_eastenders is a jewel in the rough

I changed my travellers checks at the bank with no problem (even tho i had forgotten to sign them!) That was in Cornwall Ontario, so dont really know about where you are going but would have thought the banks all work in the same way.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 1:19 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

I always brought travellers cheques and had no problems changing them at the banks in and around Toronto. The rates might not be super great but on smallish amounts covered by travellers cheques it's a few dollars and better than losing cash.
In my last few trips before moving here though I was banking with Barclays in the UK and discovered they had an agreement with ScotiaBank which allowed you to withdraw cash from their ATMs for no fee, as if you were using a Barclays machine. Don't know if that still exists as it was 6-7 years ago but worth finding out, or finding out if your bank has a similar agreement with a bank in Canada.
Also remember that cash advnaces from a credit card are charged at a higher interest rate than regular purchases, usually in the 20%+ range and that credit card company's apply payments to balances in a specific order, so you could say have a balance of $5000 dollars at 14% interest and withdraw $500 at 30% cash advance rate, all your payemnts will go towards the lower interest blanace first, before they go towards paying off the cash part, meaning you will pay the higher interest on that amount for the longest so they can maximise their return. They do the same thing with promo balance tranfers. You transfer X amount for the great low rate but if you then use the card for a purchase that balance sits their generating interest revenue until you pay off the low interest balance transfer which often takes a while.

Drew
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:10 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Hi,

Darren

I would bring cash in dollars, credit card and if you need to use an atm then make sure you take out sufficient. There is a charge, but it is the same amount if you take out $20 or $100.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:13 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Hi,

Darren
I would bring dollars for the first week, use the credit card and if you need more cash take out sufficient to last. The charge is the same if it is $20 or $100 withdrawal.
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:16 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

We use our ATM cards to draw money as dont like the travel cheque stuff!!

American express used to have a travel card, but they have withdrawn it

We bank with tsb and they charge £1 for each withdrawel you do, so max the withdrawel is the best advise like helen said.
We also noticed that we used our debit card in walmart and was charged by our bank for this as well.....they app use the visa part of the debit card :curse:

gill
Old Jul 26th 2007, 2:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

My ancient father used traveller's cheques last year no problem, the only place that wouldn't take them was Best Buy. I wouldn't use them personally but if you do, use them as cash, it's not common to exchange them for cash and many banks will only do it for customers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.