Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recce Trip Over

Wikiposts

Recce Trip Over

Old May 14th 2012, 4:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce Trip Over

Originally Posted by Oink
At least I live in Canada so I might have a bit more insight.
Yeah but you're obviously jaded and cynical and therefore, according to you, your "insight" should be ignored anyway.
Old May 14th 2012, 5:15 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Yeah but you're obviously jaded and cynical and therefore, according to you, your "insight" should be ignored anyway.
It's interesting that you spend so much time on the Canadian forum commenting on somewhere you don''t live. But then again, you live in Maryland, so I guess projecting anywhere is better than facing up to that.

Last edited by Oink; May 14th 2012 at 5:36 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 5:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
It's interesting that you spend some much time on the Canadian forum commenting on somewhere you don''t live. But then again, you live in Maryland, so I guess projecting anywhere is better than facing up to that.
Here we go again.

Correct, I don't currently live in Canada. I have lived in Canada previously. I may be moving back there in the next year or two. Therefore I keep up to date with what's happening there.

I'm a Canadian citizen. 2 of my kids were born there and all 4 kids are Canadian citizens. My wife is a Canadian citizen. I visit Canada multiple times a year (I was there again just 2 weeks ago) because I vacation there, I visit friends & family there, I work there sometimes and my company has multiple offices there which I visit frequently. My daughter goes to college there. Over the past couple of years I have helped her through many of the same things that anyone else moving to Canada would likely have to go through at some point:

- opening a bank account
- getting a provincial health insurance card
- getting a driver's license
- applying for a Canadian passport
- dealing with other government agencies
- building a credit history
- finding an apartment to rent
- dealing with utility companies
- obtaining a cell phone & plan
- shopping for just about everything
- public transportation
- health care
- cross border issues with the US (e.g. customs, immigration)

So although I don't live in Canada, I think I know enough about living/working/visiting there to contribute to the forum at times. I wouldn't suggest to you that you abstain from commenting on UK issues simply because you don't live there - you might have something useful to contribute.

Your opinion of Maryland is of absolutely no concern or interest to me whatsoever. I've covered every corner of this state and it's a great place to live and visit. Whether you still choose to judge the entire state on some personal experience of yours is entirely your concern and your problem.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 14th 2012 at 5:48 pm.
Old May 14th 2012, 9:53 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I have asked that question too whenever I hear someone moaning about where they live rather than just changing things by moving back to the UK. I've yet to hear a reasonable explanation.
As I've discussed with you before, there are many reasons why somebody cannot return to the UK - perhaps they are married to a Canadian that doesn't want to move, so they have the choice of their marriage ending or leaving, or perhaps they have adult children that are settled there and they don't want to leave, or perhaps they have a husband that is halfway through a work secondment, or perhaps they don't have the $20k or so it would cost to move back, or perhaps............etc, etc.

As I've suggested previously, maybe you could read the Moving Back to the UK forum to see the many sad stories about people who are desperate to return (not necessarily from Canada, from all over the world) but who cannot.

It's not always as easy as you think it is I'm afraid, particularly if you moved with young children who are now grown up, settled and 'Canadianized' - that seems to be a regular problem for many.

Old May 15th 2012, 3:05 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
As I've discussed with you before, there are many reasons why somebody cannot return to the UK - perhaps they are married to a Canadian that doesn't want to move, so they have the choice of their marriage ending or leaving, or perhaps they have adult children that are settled there and they don't want to leave, or perhaps they have a husband that is halfway through a work secondment, or perhaps they don't have the $20k or so it would cost to move back, or perhaps............etc, etc.

As I've suggested previously, maybe you could read the Moving Back to the UK forum to see the many sad stories about people who are desperate to return (not necessarily from Canada, from all over the world) but who cannot.

It's not always as easy as you think it is I'm afraid, particularly if you moved with young children who are now grown up, settled and 'Canadianized' - that seems to be a regular problem for many.

I think these are very good points. You don't necessarily have control over your destiny as much as you might like. I hope we never find ourselves in this scenario; so far so good though!
Old May 15th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Forum Addict

I understand all that. I was simply stating that I have never PERSONALLY heard a reasonable explanation. While there are undoubtedly some people is a very tricky situation, I haven't met them. All the moaners I have met (and there have been many) were not actually in such dire straits that they couldn't possibly change their situation.

Last edited by MarylandNed; May 15th 2012 at 6:30 am.
Old May 15th 2012, 6:58 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

I understand all that. I was simply stating that I have never PERSONALLY heard a reasonable explanation. While there are undoubtedly some people is a very tricky situation, I haven't met them. All the moaners I have met (and there have been many) were not actually in such dire straits that they couldn't possibly change their situation.
You have now, so perhaps you can put it to bed, so to speak.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Tangram
You have now, so perhaps you can put it to bed, so to speak.
Nah...I think most moaners are simply that...moaners. Those that really are up sh*t creek without a paddle are in a very small minority IMO.
Old May 15th 2012, 8:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Nah...I think most moaners are simply that...moaners. Those that really are up sh*t creek without a paddle are in a very small minority IMO.
Your lack of empathy astounds me.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Your lack of empathy astounds me.
As I already told you, I'm sure that there are immigrants out there in sticky situations that they can't get themselves out of for whatever reason. I just don't know them personally. If I did, I'm sure I'd sympathize and try to help if I could.

However, when you meet people (and I have met many) who are ONLY unhappy because they can't turn their new country into their old country, I can't sympathize at all. A lot of people emigrate with the wrong attitude and then moan about it when they can't change the big things or the things that happen to them. They often fail to see that they have control over their own destiny by changing those things that they can change - their attitudes and their reactions to the things that happen to them.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:12 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Exactly! How do you know for sure?

Maybe ALL these people you have met who moan about the Country they are in don't tell you the truth about what's really happening.

Not everyone is open about their lives and some people feel embarrased if they are totally skint and can barely afford to live.
Old May 17th 2012, 1:11 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geordie Lass
A whole 2 months!

Rose tinted glasses some will no doubt comment now...
i have lived here 2 months also..so far i actually prefer Edmonton over Calgary
Old May 17th 2012, 3:39 am
Forum Regular

Philbo2005 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am very glad you enjoyed it, we are going on our (cold) recce trip in November and aim to do both Calgary and Edmonton, can't wait!!
Old May 17th 2012, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
i have lived here 2 months also..so far i actually prefer Edmonton over Calgary
Whereabouts in Calgary are you? why do you prefer Edmonton? (I've not heard a lot of good things about Edmonton) so am intrigued!