Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Recce trip NS/NB

Recce trip NS/NB

Old Dec 28th 2019, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond repute
Default Recce trip NS/NB

We have a family holiday/recce trip booked in May to Nova Scotia and will also be travelling to New Brunswick, so excited!!

Does anyone have any tips for contacting employers to arrange meeting up? Its a while away I know but we are eager and want to be organised should we be calling employers or emailing? Also how often in advance is it recommended to contact?

My husband works in manufacturing with qualifications and experience in lean manufacturing/process improvement and I work in recruitment, anyone from these areas have any organisations in mind which would suit our skills we could get in touch with?

We were also looking into the idea of my husband getting his HGV licence before we go as another option, are there any trucking companies in the Atlantic region hiring foreign drivers?

thank you
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 1:31 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce trip NS/NB

Hello and welcome to BE! You've picked a great time of year for a recce trip. Spring is almost upon us by then and everyone is cheering up!

I have been here 7 years so I can't tell you much about looking for work before you arrive, but there will be someone along shortly, I am sure, who will have up to date info.

I know that previous posters have asked about HGV and not far from me in Woodstock there are loads of Haulage companies, it is a hub I believe as it is so close to the border.

In NB you have your 3 Cities, Fredericton (the Capital, and solidly Government centered) Moncton (bigger population, more entrepreneurial?) and Saint John (busy and historically more blue collared). All very different feeling and even rather different climacticly. If I had to do it all over again in NB I'd move to Moncton.

I don't know much about NS but my family travel there often and love Halifax.

Out of the cities it is profoundly rural, which some people absolutely love and it doesn't suit others.

We need more people, badly. We have an aging population, poor immigrant retention and need to regenerate. There are opportunities here for the right sort of people.

Why are you thinking of moving to this bit?

Old Jan 2nd 2020, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

Mastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond reputeMastersgrad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Hello and welcome to BE! You've picked a great time of year for a recce trip. Spring is almost upon us by then and everyone is cheering up!

I have been here 7 years so I can't tell you much about looking for work before you arrive, but there will be someone along shortly, I am sure, who will have up to date info.

I know that previous posters have asked about HGV and not far from me in Woodstock there are loads of Haulage companies, it is a hub I believe as it is so close to the border.

In NB you have your 3 Cities, Fredericton (the Capital, and solidly Government centered) Moncton (bigger population, more entrepreneurial?) and Saint John (busy and historically more blue collared). All very different feeling and even rather different climacticly. If I had to do it all over again in NB I'd move to Moncton.

I don't know much about NS but my family travel there often and love Halifax.

Out of the cities it is profoundly rural, which some people absolutely love and it doesn't suit others.

We need more people, badly. We have an aging population, poor immigrant retention and need to regenerate. There are opportunities here for the right sort of people.

Why are you thinking of moving to this bit?
Hi MillieF and thank you for your reply!!

glad to hear we have picked a good time to go we are so excited to get over there and take it all in

we really like the idea of NB or NS as they are beautiful landscapes, seemingly lots to do outdoorsy for our two boys and also we get the small town/city vibe which we want as we would like to avoid anymore rat races lol.

do you think my husband has any chance with haulage companies or do they only want really experienced people? He does have experience of driving larger trucks in the past but not HGV specifically.

can you think of any manufacturing companies or recruitment companies in your area to recommend contacting?

also as we are bringing our children are there any places you suggest for us to visit?

Its good to hear your positive experience of NB thanks again!
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting! Did you work out a route to be able to apply for PR in the end?

Regarding job hunting - I'd thoroughly recommend reading a few of our wonderful Wiki sections on the subject - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

Regarding becoming an HGV (commercial) driver - there's more to it that rocking up and expecting a license to be exchanged, you generally need a couple of years experience and air brake exams may feature too. You can read more here: https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/rmv/p...#appprocessgp4

We have a sub forum for trucking too - lots of good info! https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 2nd 2020 at 4:16 pm.
Old Jan 2nd 2020, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
How exciting! Did you work out a route to be able to apply for PR in the end?

Regarding job hunting - I'd thoroughly recommend reading a few of our wonderful Wiki sections on the subject - https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Categ...Hunting-Canada

Regarding becoming an HGV (commercial) driver - there's more to it that rocking up and expecting a license to be exchanged, you generally need a couple of years experience and air brake exams may feature too. You can read more here: https://novascotia.ca/sns/paal/rmv/p...#appprocessgp4

We have a sub forum for trucking too - lots of good info! https://britishexpats.com/forum/trucking-118/
thank you! Well i was just shy of the 12 months skilled experience for EE when I went on Mat Leave and was told I wouldnt have a job to go back to, but that has changed recently and my employer contacted me to interview me for the position again so fingers crossed it would be basically like I went on Mat Leave and resumed as usual! Having said that looks like the CRS cut off has increased quite a bit and I would only get around 455

we are also looking into potentially AIP or hoping to secure a job offer when we go over in May. I’m also in the pool for the IEC so that could be a potential foot in the door if i’m lucky enough to get an ItA.

thank you for all the links I will have a good read of those tonight! We were a bit unsure whether my husband should do his licence as we didnt know of anything would come of it but with it being part funded by his current employer he may aswell just go for it I suppose
Old Jan 3rd 2020, 4:26 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mastersgrad
can you think of any manufacturing companies or recruitment companies in your area to recommend contacting?
Careerbeacon.com is a careers website with an Atlantic Canadian focus (although it has widened across Canada of late). Filtering on manufacturing jobs gives this list: https://www.careerbeacon.com/en/sear...category_id=13

Big employers in NS - Iriving (Oil, Pulp, Shipyards), IMP Aerospace etc. Google is your friend as is Linked In. Your husbands lean engineering skills may be a good route in.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 3:29 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

Where is BristolUK for this thread?
Old Jan 4th 2020, 7:08 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Careerbeacon.com is a careers website with an Atlantic Canadian focus (although it has widened across Canada of late). Filtering on manufacturing jobs gives this list: https://www.careerbeacon.com/en/sear...category_id=13

Big employers in NS - Iriving (Oil, Pulp, Shipyards), IMP Aerospace etc. Google is your friend as is Linked In. Your husbands lean engineering skills may be a good route in.
Thank you for your help! We will have a good look over those and make a list of companies to contact. Do you think there is any ideal time we should start reaching out to employers? Also do you think we should be emailing or phoning?

Old Jan 4th 2020, 12:34 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carcajou
Where is BristolUK for this thread?
I have no experience of the job market here, having retired early before my move.
Old Jan 4th 2020, 3:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

thank you! Well i was just shy of the 12 months skilled experience for EE when I went on Mat Leave and was told I wouldnt have a job to go back to, but that has changed recently and my employer contacted me to interview me for the position again so fingers crossed it would be basically like I went on Mat Leave and resumed as usual! Having said that looks like the CRS cut off has increased quite a bit and I would only get around 455

we are also looking into potentially AIP or hoping to secure a job offer when we go over in May. I’m also in the pool for the IEC so that could be a potential foot in the door if i’m lucky enough to get an ItA.

thank you for all the links I will have a good read of those tonight! We were a bit unsure whether my husband should do his licence as we didnt know of anything would come of it but with it being part funded by his current employer he may aswell just go for it I suppose
For the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Project you can qualify to apply if the employer is on the designated list for that Province. Each Atlantic Province has a designated Employer list - you can find the links in the link below
Atlantic Canada Live Event

More info on AIPP = https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html

As to the HGV (Commercial vehicle license) - he would need 2 years of experience or have MELTS and have a minimum of 1 year of experience in order to obtain a Class 2 (or 1) license in most Provinces - and there are often additional tests to take. It won't be a quick route to PR if that is what you were thinking (some Provinces don't include trucking in their Provincial programs). If he is having to pay for it he may be better waiting until he arrives and take it here.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 4th 2020 at 3:46 pm.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 6:49 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

My husband works in manufacturing with qualifications and experience in lean manufacturing/process improvement and I work in recruitment, anyone from these areas have any organisations in mind which would suit our skills we could get in touch with?
We were also looking into the idea of my husband getting his HGV licence before we go as another option, are there any trucking companies in the Atlantic region hiring foreign drivers?
thank you
I would suggest that your husband would be a chocolate teapot in NS and NB regarding his current field of work. Any sort of change and or improvement is generally met with fear and excuses as to why we just do it like we always have. Anything that might require an ounce more of effort,thought or cost will be roundly poo pooed as impossible. I of course say this with tongue in cheek but I am not joking either. In terms of manufacturing then you are most likely to find work in Halifax, Saint John and Moncton. Fredericton and Charlottetown PEI are nice places but not much in the way of manufacturing. He will quite likely end up working for the evil empire (Irving) as they basically own everything. Google is your friend regarding how they like to operate.

I am an HGV driver that lived in Moncton for 8 years before moving to Windsor ON. I would say that unless your husband is looking to do it as at least a medium to long term career change that going down this route will not serve you well. The industry is very different here than in the UK and is in a state of change right now. This will take several years to settle. The jobs that you would be able to get are long haul. On the road 7-10 days home for 2. It is a difficult life for experienced drivers. There is a shortage of drivers. There is a reason for this. The money just is not worth it. Well paid local jobs are few and far between and generally sewn up by the locals. If you do decide to go down this road then most employers would want at least 2 years experience so it would depend on your time frame. The UK HGV is not recognized here and he would have to take the theory, air brake and practical test here. Millie mentioned Woodstock NB. I dont doubt for a second her good intention but avoid this like the plague. Cowboy country.
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
For the Atlantic Immigration Pilot Project you can qualify to apply if the employer is on the designated list for that Province. Each Atlantic Province has a designated Employer list - you can find the links in the link below
Atlantic Canada Live Event

More info on AIPP = https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration...ion-pilot.html

As to the HGV (Commercial vehicle license) - he would need 2 years of experience or have MELTS and have a minimum of 1 year of experience in order to obtain a Class 2 (or 1) license in most Provinces - and there are often additional tests to take. It won't be a quick route to PR if that is what you were thinking (some Provinces don't include trucking in their Provincial programs). If he is having to pay for it he may be better waiting until he arrives and take it here.
thank you for the info! We have been cross referencing the designated employer lists with google searches to see which companies look like his skills may fit most! How far in advance would you suggest to contact employers? We were thinking maybe mid/late April as we go at the end of May?

no we knew it wouldnt be a quick process if he decided to get his HGV licence but its a potential rout eventually if need be. Is the MELTs similar to an IELTs? Not come across that before!

thanks for all your info and help
Old Jan 19th 2020, 7:17 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alex2201
I would suggest that your husband would be a chocolate teapot in NS and NB regarding his current field of work. Any sort of change and or improvement is generally met with fear and excuses as to why we just do it like we always have. Anything that might require an ounce more of effort,thought or cost will be roundly poo pooed as impossible. I of course say this with tongue in cheek but I am not joking either. In terms of manufacturing then you are most likely to find work in Halifax, Saint John and Moncton. Fredericton and Charlottetown PEI are nice places but not much in the way of manufacturing. He will quite likely end up working for the evil empire (Irving) as they basically own everything. Google is your friend regarding how they like to operate.

I am an HGV driver that lived in Moncton for 8 years before moving to Windsor ON. I would say that unless your husband is looking to do it as at least a medium to long term career change that going down this route will not serve you well. The industry is very different here than in the UK and is in a state of change right now. This will take several years to settle. The jobs that you would be able to get are long haul. On the road 7-10 days home for 2. It is a difficult life for experienced drivers. There is a shortage of drivers. There is a reason for this. The money just is not worth it. Well paid local jobs are few and far between and generally sewn up by the locals. If you do decide to go down this road then most employers would want at least 2 years experience so it would depend on your time frame. The UK HGV is not recognized here and he would have to take the theory, air brake and practical test here. Millie mentioned Woodstock NB. I dont doubt for a second her good intention but avoid this like the plague. Cowboy country.
thanks for all your info! Definitely helps with how we approach employers. He has actually contacted Irving a couple of times as they have been advertising a lean manufacturing opening for quite some time now but they don’t seem to interested, he has been emailing and liaising with HR via linkedin but no luck really.

We wouldn’t be able to travel to Woodstock on our trip anyway as it is approx 5 hrs drive from where we are staying but were just interested in our options if he were to get his licence. Again thanks for your input
Old Jan 19th 2020, 8:10 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

thanks for all your info! Definitely helps with how we approach employers. He has actually contacted Irving a couple of times as they have been advertising a lean manufacturing opening for quite some time now but they don’t seem to interested, he has been emailing and liaising with HR via linkedin but no luck really.

We wouldn’t be able to travel to Woodstock on our trip anyway as it is approx 5 hrs drive from where we are staying but were just interested in our options if he were to get his licence. Again thanks for your input
If you have read the Wiki it mentions that Canadian employers are slow or dont respond to people out of the country. Irving are no different unless it is something highly specialised/rare skill set. The job may well be penciled in for someone they are just advertising it to go through the motions. Another problem that you may come up against it that companies like to promote within first, hire friends and family second then if that fails recruit. Preference is then given to locals. As a foreigner you are basically at the back of the queue. I am not trying to be negative or rain on your parade its just that we have to work harder to get the same opportunities as the locals do. I would keep an eye out for local job events etc when you are here. If you are able to meet someone at these events it can help your chances. It is more about who you know than what you know.
Old Jan 20th 2020, 1:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

When you are on your recce trip see if there are any job fairs on. Getting yourself in front of a human being in NS is absolutely key. From time to time there are job fairs especially for immigrants. From the link below, looks like there is one in April:

https://canadianimmigrant.ca/careerfair/halifax

And, from the below link a few more dates:

Halifax Job Fair - July 29th, 2019

My experience was that this was a more efficient way to get in front of a human being than calling / e-mailing / pounding the streets. It is also a great way to start your network building. I hope this helps as an idea as I note none of the dates seem to coincide with your trip dates.

EDIT: I just noticed on that last link that May 11th is mentioned. Get the resumes all Canadian formatted and, if that date coincides, go along.

Last edited by Tumbling_Dice; Jan 20th 2020 at 1:42 am.