Recce Trip - Move March

Recce Trip - Move March

Old Jan 25th 2019, 2:27 pm
GBO
Just Joined

GBO is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Recce Trip - Move March

Hi all,

Firstly thank you for ALL your work over the years, the site has been brilliant for research.

Im 28, born in Kitchener but lived in UK my whole life - finally decided to relocate to Canada - Toronto to be exact. Canadian passport so no visa issues (Lucky me)

I’m in talks with a few companies and will be doing final interviews in person in Toronto 3-8th of Feb when I’ll also be doing a recce of sorts. Will be staying in Liberty Village Air BnB and will practice commute etc to see what it’s like - I’d appreciate any suggestions on places similar to LV - don’t want pounding nightlife so entertainment district, whilst close to LV, doesn’t interest me to live! I love sport, love a beer so somewhere social with people of a similar age - any ideas on places to look at, living wise? I commute 30 mins in London so probably look for the same in TO.

Would also appreciate recommendations for things to do that week which are normal things in your day to day working life - things that will give me an idea of what it’s like working 9-5 (ish) in the city. And any other things I really should see!

I work in Finance and will be earning c.$90k so I’d guess a budget of up to 1600 a month ? (Or am I going to high?) - what should I be looking for at those prices? Perhaps it’d be better to live with someone else as I’m new and would apprsciate a new social circle. (I don’t know anyone! Haven’t been to Canada since I was 14 years old)

Id also appreciate advice on banking - would I be likely to get a CC on that salary?

Will probably have more questions but not springing to mind As I write this!

look forward to your responses and thank you all in advance
Guy
Old Jan 25th 2019, 2:37 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Recce Trip - Move March

I work in LV, and commute in either from Oakville (about 40 min trip on the train) or from Spadina and Front St West via 504 King Streetcar (probably 10 - 15 mins). So the commute from LV to downtown is pretty good. obviously during rush hour it can get a bit busy, but it's bearable.
I'd suggest popping onto realtor.ca and look at rental prices around LV, as I have a feeling 1600 is a bit low (basing that on 1 bed, 1 bath).
Old Jan 25th 2019, 2:39 pm
GBO
Just Joined

Originally Posted by sharkus
I work in LV, and commute in either from Oakville (about 40 min trip on the train) or from Spadina and Front St West via 504 King Streetcar (probably 10 - 15 mins). So the commute from LV to downtown is pretty good. obviously during rush hour it can get a bit busy, but it's bearable.
I'd suggest popping onto realtor.ca and look at rental prices around LV, as I have a feeling 1600 is a bit low (basing that on 1 bed, 1 bath).

Thanks for that - I was actually putting that price as a guess for a room to live with someone else - My research has shown me 1800+ for a decent 1 bed to live alone so you’re right there. I’d be leaving the house at 6:30/7am - is it mad at that time as well?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would join the Balmy Beach Club, live as near to that as feasible, bicycle to work along the lake in summer, take the tram in the shoulder seasons and not leave the flat in winter. I'd talk to each bank about their immigrant package (it'll be called Welcome or similar), one of them will give you a credit card with a low limit to get you started.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 3:43 pm
GBO
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbd33
I would join the Balmy Beach Club, live as near to that as feasible, bicycle to work along the lake in summer, take the tram in the shoulder seasons and not leave the flat in winter. I'd talk to each bank about their immigrant package (it'll be called Welcome or similar), one of them will give you a credit card with a low limit to get you started.
thanks for this - not really the bike to work type of fella though!

Would I not be exempt from a “Welcome” package of sorts as I’m a Canadian citizen?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 4:31 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

British passport as well?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 4:32 pm
GBO
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
British passport as well?
yes
Old Jan 25th 2019, 4:48 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBO

yes
Have you an accent?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 4:56 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Have you an accent?
Do say: I'm newly arrived from the UK to live in Toronto.

Don't say: I wanna open a bank account eh?
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Do say: I'm newly arrived from the UK to live in Toronto.

Don't say: I wanna open a bank account eh?
It likely won't matter as the bank person will only have been in Canada for five minutes longer than the OP. I was in the TD in Cabbagetown the other week and I thought "cor luv a duck me ol china, they ait from rahn 'ere", as one would, when confronted by a staff as diverse as the cast of an advert for a university.

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 25th 2019 at 5:04 pm.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:03 pm
GBO
Just Joined

It likely won't matter as the bank person will only have been in Canada for five minutes longer than the OP.
The irony of thanking everyone for the helpful info over the last year then when asking properly myself, these are the answers I get! 😂
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:06 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by GBO

The irony of thanking everyone for the helpful info over the last year then when asking properly myself, these are the answers I get! 😂
Really, everyone is from somewhere else. Anyway, if you say "I've just arrived in Canada" they're not likely to ask for details.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 5:43 pm
GBO
Just Joined

Really, everyone is from somewhere else. Anyway, if you say "I've just arrived in Canada" they're not likely to ask for details.
okay fair enough - wasn’t sure if the rules were different for Visa / Passport holders, considering one has an end date and one doesn’t.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 10:41 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GBO
Thanks for that - I was actually putting that price as a guess for a room to live with someone else - My research has shown me 1800+ for a decent 1 bed to live alone so you’re right there. I’d be leaving the house at 6:30/7am - is it mad at that time as well?
No it should be ok at that time.
Old Jan 25th 2019, 11:35 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Ref the above posts, if you have lived outside of Canada for more than 2 years (which you have) you become a 'returning resident' and are treated by banks etc the same as a new resident - my wife returned with me last year after 12yrs away from canada and got all the same deals, and in some cases penalties, as me, the genuinely new resident.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.