Recce Trip

Old Feb 12th 2012, 12:46 pm
Just Joined

R_AWhite is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Recce Trip

It ain't called Nova Scotia for no reason.
Old Feb 12th 2012, 1:16 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

We have been here nearly a year and my weather observations are:
Spring - horrible, brown landscape, fog (yes FOG) and chilly, at the same time as the UK was green and going through a heatwave so was a shock
Most of June - never seemed to stop raining

Summer - fabulous, hot, seemingly never ending season, long days, humidity, little to no FOG that I recall

Autumn - also long (to me) and like a British summer time, still warm and hot days but no humidity. Didnt see any fog that I remember

Winter - its been a mild winter or so i have been told but what springs to mind is snow, ice, freezing rain (couple of times) blue skies, sunshine, a few rainy and overcast days.

You can tell me all the stats that there are, this is what I have seen. The stats also say that the average summer temp is 21 or something like that, my memory of summer was a whole lot hotter than that.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:44 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
We have been here nearly a year and my weather observations are:
Spring - horrible, brown landscape, fog (yes FOG) and chilly, at the same time as the UK was green and going through a heatwave so was a shock
Most of June - never seemed to stop raining

Summer - fabulous, hot, seemingly never ending season, long days, humidity, little to no FOG that I recallAutumn - also long (to me) and like a British summer time, still warm and hot days but no humidity. Didnt see any fog that I remember

Winter - its been a mild winter or so i have been told but what springs to mind is snow, ice, freezing rain (couple of times) blue skies, sunshine, a few rainy and overcast days.

You can tell me all the stats that there are, this is what I have seen. The stats also say that the average summer temp is 21 or something like that, my memory of summer was a whole lot hotter than that.
You forgot bugs!
You can't actually sit outside and enjoy the wonderful summers as you get eaten alive
Old Feb 13th 2012, 6:58 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
You forgot bugs!
You can't actually sit outside and enjoy the wonderful summers as you get eaten alive
oh yes, I was focusng on the weather. The bugs are indeedy soul destroying
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:01 am
Happy

although when I go for an evening stroll I am fine, they dont seem to bite me. Its if I dare to do some weeding or stop for a chat that they land in droves....
FIL came for a visit at the end of last summer and said he was bitten lots, I was right next to him and they didnt seem to get me, perhaps they have moved on
Old Feb 14th 2012, 1:30 am
Just Joined

samandgray is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Enjoy you recci trip...........try to make it more of a business trip. I moved to Ottawa, On, from London UK 3 years ago. Canada is a wonderful country, full of opportunity but it will be more stressful then you think. If have a network of friends and family in country it will certainly help you. If you would like to know more about how I found the visa process, the good points, bad points and what I may have done differently please feel free to message me.
Gray
Old Feb 14th 2012, 3:43 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
although when I go for an evening stroll I am fine, they dont seem to bite me. Its if I dare to do some weeding or stop for a chat that they land in droves....
FIL came for a visit at the end of last summer and said he was bitten lots, I was right next to him and they didnt seem to get me, perhaps they have moved on
Try chain smoking American cigarettes, bugs don't like Marlboro Reds. I believe Gitanes also work though not quite as well.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 7:26 am
Happy

Originally Posted by dbd33
Try chain smoking American cigarettes, bugs don't like Marlboro Reds. I believe Gitanes also work though not quite as well.
oh yes sounds like a great idea.
Old Feb 15th 2012, 12:51 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
London loses out big time compared to most North American cities - even to cities like Vancouver and Seattle which are often regarded as having British style weather.
Originally Posted by el_richo
What does that have to do with Nova Scotia?
Nothing...welcome to BE!
Old Feb 15th 2012, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Macbarflan
We live in Scotland, where its cold and wet in the winter and hot and wet in the summer.
Hot? Don't you mean less cold?