Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The recce begins

The recce begins

Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all
Default The recce begins

Morning all

We are here in Calgary and its nearly 2am and you guessed it I cant sleep.

We left Edinburgh 6.30am yesterday for the drive to Manchester no hiccups so arrived in good time. Zoom flight was delayed an hour but they made it up in the air. Not a bad flight booked premium for the space and it was worth it. Food was rubbish but hey what's new. The crew were great, the best crew I have ever seen on any flight.

we were met by Julie Parry our realtor contact at the airport and she took us to our hotel. We are at the Econolodge University, Its basic but clean, was cheap and has internet its also across the street from a c-train station.

Our plans so far are for a trip to Airdrie today, when everyone else in Canada wakes up and tomorrow a trip to Okotoks.

Mrs L says it feels right here and considering we've only been here a few hours its a good start.

Cheers all

Tom
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The recce begins

Have fun, Tell Julie we said Hi and she's not to show you OUR HOUSE.

Sharon
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

thanks will do.

Any joy on your house I see you managed to dump the agents good on you.

I hate jet lag, Calgary v Edmonon tonight and I just know I;m gonna flake. Lynne being a shift worker doesn't seem to suffer so she's sleeping like a babe. We need to find a shopping mall though, Lynne didn't manage to get a decent fleece before we left. It was lovely and mild when we arrived and she thought it would be ok but by the time we headed out for food it was getting pretty cold. Shopping house hunting combined with Scotland beating Italy and Calgary beating Edmonton what could be better.

Cheers
Tom
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Blimey, thats a quick turnaround. Last time I knew you guys were just looking now you are bloody there!!!! Suspense back here is amazing (no not about your trip the game) Got my job offer in writing myself yesterday although no job description. WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!

Njoy the time there, oh yes let me know about the property realtor, we are not going to calgary but maybe she has a contact in Edmonton (rental side of things)

cheers
off to get the beer and crisps in for for the footie
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

forgot to say, Calgary customs was a doddle the guy was cool about the whole job interview recce thing so no worries. He deserves worldwide public servant of the year from me though. The folks in front of us were an older gent with a young guy and his wife, his son and daughter in law on their first trip. the son was asked a question which I didn't hear but the response was obviously not to the officers liking to which he replied in a voice loud enough for the rest of the hall to hear "just answer the question, if you want to be a dick, be a dick but spare these people in the queue some time"

Straight out of the customer care handbook, brilliant absolutely brilliant

Tom
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

by the by anyone reading this, have you moved to Canada without doing a recce? We went yrs ago but then never were thinking of moving there. Most people it seems on this forum seem to be going for a recce. I can't get the time at present and the job starts in April (Tom, sorry for hijacking your thread with that quick question)
Keith
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Last time I knew you guys were just looking now you are bloody there!!!! Suspense back here is amazing (no not about your trip the game) Got my job offer in writing myself yesterday although no job description. WAHOO!!!!!!!!!!
Good stuff on the offer whats your timescale?

Tell me about it but we sent off Lynnes resume on spec just to see what interest there was. We expected a polite "well how serious are you can you come and see us" but instead got an instant phone call from Calgary Health with a specific job in mind choice of locations, relocation allowance and all the help Lynne needs with Licence issues exam etc.

At that point we figured they were serious so we better get serious too. We didnt want to get too far along the way without having been here, I wouldnt want people putiing in work on our behalf and then find we came for a visit and it wasnt for us. So teh kids are with the inlaws for a week and we are here. I'm scared witless tbh this is quite spontaneous by my standards. As I said Lynne says it feels right so we're doing ok for now.

I'm not a big footie fan but Scotland qualifying would be huge and from the group of death too.

Cheers
TL
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom, sorry for hijacking your thread with that quick question
Hijack away I'm just wittering coz its 3am and nobody else has jet lag
Old Nov 17th 2007, 8:59 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=lauder99;5565731]Good stuff on the offer whats your timescale?

Well its currently GET ME THE JD FIRST before I definitely say yes. I mean I know the generic JD but i would like to see what i am expected to do! The job offer letter is great, we had lost sight of the trip and all but know its looking good for January sell my volvo c70 t5 gt auto 49500 miles only (quick plug there) get the house marketed for renting it out, Cutting out some bits but in the end mover end March starting April 2nd or 3rd week. I have a bit of rectal flutter just now . Ask you OH she may have heard of that terminology!!
Catch your later all the kids have a crap cold and gotta get the meds in as well as the beers. They need if for the dreaded X-Factor
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:04 am
BE Enthusiast

yeah Lynne said in Manchester yesterday damn we'll miss xfactor I was strangely unconcerned.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:09 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
thanks will do.

Any joy on your house I see you managed to dump the agents good on you. Phoning round new agents today
We need to find a shopping mall though, Lynne didn't manage to get a decent fleece before we left. It was lovely and mild when we arrived and she thought it would be ok but by the time we headed out for food it was getting pretty cold.

Cheers
Tom
Chinook Mall is on the way to Okotoks, Al and I spent a little time there.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

redarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of lightredarmy990 is a glorious beacon of light

i have a job offer in calgary and i havent done a recce trip as too busy so this will be a proper adventure hopefully i will love and apply for permanent residence im going over in jan or feb
Old Nov 17th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Enthusiast

OMG just found an email in my spam folder from yesterday. One of the Architects firms I sent my resume want to meet me on Monday. I am really nervous now
Old Nov 17th 2007, 3:57 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keefrto
by the by anyone reading this, have you moved to Canada without doing a recce? We went yrs ago but then never were thinking of moving there. Most people it seems on this forum seem to be going for a recce. I can't get the time at present and the job starts in April (Tom, sorry for hijacking your thread with that quick question)
Keith
We did - just checked out the place we moved to on the internet and then got on the plane and here we are!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lauder99
OMG just found an email in my spam folder from yesterday. One of the Architects firms I sent my resume want to meet me on Monday. I am really nervous now
GOOD LUCK

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.