Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

The recce begins

The recce begins

Old Nov 22nd 2007, 10:22 am
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future
Default Re: The recce begins

What a gutter, did they not ask Lynne what her hrs were prior to you putting in all the effort? I won't go on cos I think you guy's are already battered and bruised from this experience. Regards the contact at CARNA, i called them directly and each time spoke with the international person who was good. I will pm the details for you. The bit about the obs training is something CARNA can advise on very quickly, especially when like the UK, Canada is in the poo regards nurses. THEY NEED US. I am on a late shift and will keep check on the forum but I really believe all is not lost
Keith

Last edited by keefrto; Nov 22nd 2007 at 10:30 am.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ScottishJim
Hi Tom,
Sorry to hear that you've met with a hurdle.
I've found that it is all part of the course and seems to be sent to try us all.

When you think you are winning something happens that just takes the wind out of your sails. DO NOT GIVE UP.

Follow these Instructions....
Retreat (for the moment), regroup and replan, THEN CHARGE AT THE WALL AGAIN!!!

Carry out this procedure each time a brick wall appears. Please note that some walls may require several Head butts!!

Treat each hurdle as a Challenge!!!

As`a good friend said to me very recently when we got some MAJOR hassle with the Edmonton Employer so close to heading over this January "You didn't think it was going to be easy, did you??"

DO NOT GIVE UP.
I'll bet you that everyone who is either thinking of going to Canada, in the middle of going to Canada or now in Canada can tell you of the same ups and downs, joy, anger, fears and frustration experienced in trying to get there.

Cheers and good luck with the BRICK WALL!! Remember this is a "recce" to "Gather information" both the good and the bad. Treat it all like a Business plan that has to be constantly adjusted depending on what is happening.

DO NOT GIVE UP!!

Best wishes

Jim
PS. is there any specific training courses, skills or Qualifications that your wife has that she may not have thought important but may be important.
Also try other hospitals in other areas, many of the smaller city/town hospitals are short staffed with more people heading into these areas to work in the Oil/gas industries and increasing the population to more than resources can cope with.
Very well said Jim! Tom, as they say around these parts, dust yourself off and get back in the saddle. The Health Regions in this province are desperate for nurses and so surely there must be something that can be done. Best wishes!
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Thanks guys

Yesterday was the lowest of days but we are absolutely sure this is for us so the fight certainly goes on, we are off to the mountains today to have some non recce time get a it of perspective back on it all then home Friday.

did they not ask Lynne what her hrs were prior to you putting in all the effort
they told Lynne on teh phone this might be an issue but they said " dont worry about it we have a couple of ways to resolve that." told us yesterday that they actually cant do anything. They say they would do anything but CARNA wont play ball.

If they told us that from day one our strategy would have been different. Its not all as negative as it felt yesterday. calgary health will still offer Lynne a job no matter how long this takes and if there is something they can do that CARNA will allow they will do it. It all hinges on what CARNA say and we need to wait 8-10 weeks for that.

We might consider a student visa to get Lynne the hours she needs, I would get an open work permit and could accept the job I was offered, the downside is we dont know how long the visa would last and how accommodating my employer might be about a short stint. The uni year doesnt start till september either so the job might not be there then.

If CARNA would guarantee that a specific course or set of courses would satisfy them hat might be an option.

I will email tha company that offered me a job and see if they would apply for LMO but we talked around it at the interview and didnt seem keen. Maybe I could persuade them but again the 20 odd week wait might put them off.

I think we might have options the big decision right now is doe we stick in a standard SW application in the mean time incase none of this works out?

thanks for the support guys.

Tom
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 1:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hart50 is an unknown quantity at this point

Have fun in the mountains! By the way, if you're looking for a lunch spot I hear the new Crazyweed in Canmore is great.
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 2:29 pm
Forum Regular

ScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the roughScottishJim is a jewel in the rough

Hi Tom,
When you are in any other towns or different areas, check up on if there is a local Chamber of Commerce, this can be a quick way of getting a list of local businesses for contacts in your field of work , also sometimes the Chamber of Commerce folks will just hand you a Yellow pages for free which is another useful source of contact info.

"The Grizzly Paw" in down town Canmore does some DEEEELLLIIISSSHHHHESSS food especially the desserts and you can sit outside (they have over head propane heaters) and view the mountains.
This doesn't make you even more determined to get out there.

Cheers

Jim
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauder99
Thanks guys

Yesterday was the lowest of days but we are absolutely sure this is for us so the fight certainly goes on, we are off to the mountains today to have some non recce time get a it of perspective back on it all then home Friday.

they told Lynne on teh phone this might be an issue but they said " dont worry about it we have a couple of ways to resolve that." told us yesterday that they actually cant do anything. They say they would do anything but CARNA wont play ball.

If they told us that from day one our strategy would have been different. Its not all as negative as it felt yesterday. calgary health will still offer Lynne a job no matter how long this takes and if there is something they can do that CARNA will allow they will do it. It all hinges on what CARNA say and we need to wait 8-10 weeks for that.

We might consider a student visa to get Lynne the hours she needs, I would get an open work permit and could accept the job I was offered, the downside is we dont know how long the visa would last and how accommodating my employer might be about a short stint. The uni year doesnt start till september either so the job might not be there then.

If CARNA would guarantee that a specific course or set of courses would satisfy them hat might be an option.

I will email tha company that offered me a job and see if they would apply for LMO but we talked around it at the interview and didnt seem keen. Maybe I could persuade them but again the 20 odd week wait might put them off.

I think we might have options the big decision right now is doe we stick in a standard SW application in the mean time incase none of this works out?

thanks for the support guys.

Tom
Hi Tom

Glad your feeling a little brighter today. I would deffo complete the SW application as when Lynne does get the registration sorted out they will be able to fast track your PR.

Sharon
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:21 pm
Forum Regular

keefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant futurekeefrto has a brilliant future

Just to make you feel at home, its snowing up here in the shires!!:t humbsup:
Old Nov 22nd 2007, 11:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

lauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to alllauder99 is a name known to all

Hi all

What a superb day we walked on Lake Louise this morning, the mountains are awesome there are no words to do it justice. Here's a couple of pics.

Cheers

Tom

Last edited by lauder99; Nov 22nd 2007 at 11:49 pm.
Old Nov 23rd 2007, 6:36 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Great pics, makes me want to be there again
Old Nov 25th 2007, 4:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi all

We are back and its time to reflect. We had a great time and it was a huge wrench to leave, if we didn't have kids back here we might have gone on the run .

Calgary is a great place and we knew within a day or two that we wanted to live there it feels like home. The house market is booming but we were able to find a nice house in our budget and provided we manage our money ok that should be so for the foreseeable future. There is no shortage of work provided you can get a visa or work permit. I came back with a job offer and so did Lynne. My offer didnt seem so keen on engaging in the immigration process but I am pursuing that and Lynnes is dependant on CARNA which we wont hear about for 8 weeks.

The company I interviewed with have stopped advertising for employees as they say the applicants just are not applying from adverts. I guess this probably applies in a lot of fields there are more jobs than people able to do them so advertising just isn't worthwhile. If your job hunting and not seeing many adverts then dont assume as, I initially did, that it means your trade or business is not recruiting they may just be saving their advertising budget. Cold calling does seem to yield some results.

We did a bit of cost comparison and electrical goods seem much cheaper than the UK ordinary furniture Ikea etc. seems a little cheaper, good furniture is more expensive but we cant afford it here either so doesnt matter to us. Groceries will depend entirely on what you eat, whether you cook a lot or a little. Convenience food exists but not to the same extent as here and we didn't try it so cant comment on quality. The way we live with a couple of young kids and little time to cook we didn't reckon our groceries budget would be that different to the UK.

All in all we think we can hae a good standard of living and probably achieve it on one salary, or at worst one and a half salaries. Given that we are currently getting by on two full salaries that's a huge incentive for us.

As for the weather you probably wont believe this but we were wandering around Calgary quite happily in -10 or lower last week and never felt that cold within minutes of getting outside in Manchester we were shivering and it was +1 or so but it was damp and grey we definitely felt colder here. I cant explain it but its definitely true, the cold there is not as bad as the numbers might make you think. We like the cold and the snow was great, it was snow like I remember it as a kid. I was in heaven wandering about the streets in soft snow making that creaking sound as you walked on it.

Sorry if this isn't particularly objective but we LOVED it. We don't have a house to sell so as soon as we can get a TWP we are off.

If your thinking about it get over there and see for yourself I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The info we received from this board helped us get teh most out of our week and Julie and Eds enthusiasm is very infectious and IMO entirely justified. they looked after us great and gave us ideas and pointers that we would have missed otherwise.

We had a great trip that convinced us of what we want for our future and our kids we are crossing our fingers for CARNA and working hard on any other front that presents itself. thanks for your support guys it was really helpful especially on Wednesday when we were pretty low.

Cheers
Tom

a quick pic of me out on the ice of Lake Louise
Old Nov 25th 2007, 6:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by lauder99
Hi all

We are back and its time to reflect. We had a great time and it was a huge wrench to leave, if we didn't have kids back here we might have gone on the run .

Calgary is a great place and we knew within a day or two that we wanted to live there it feels like home. The house market is booming but we were able to find a nice house in our budget and provided we manage our money ok that should be so for the foreseeable future. There is no shortage of work provided you can get a visa or work permit. I came back with a job offer and so did Lynne. My offer didnt seem so keen on engaging in the immigration process but I am pursuing that and Lynnes is dependant on CARNA which we wont hear about for 8 weeks.

The company I interviewed with have stopped advertising for employees as they say the applicants just are not applying from adverts. I guess this probably applies in a lot of fields there are more jobs than people able to do them so advertising just isn't worthwhile. If your job hunting and not seeing many adverts then dont assume as, I initially did, that it means your trade or business is not recruiting they may just be saving their advertising budget. Cold calling does seem to yield some results.

We did a bit of cost comparison and electrical goods seem much cheaper than the UK ordinary furniture Ikea etc. seems a little cheaper, good furniture is more expensive but we cant afford it here either so doesnt matter to us. Groceries will depend entirely on what you eat, whether you cook a lot or a little. Convenience food exists but not to the same extent as here and we didn't try it so cant comment on quality. The way we live with a couple of young kids and little time to cook we didn't reckon our groceries budget would be that different to the UK.

All in all we think we can hae a good standard of living and probably achieve it on one salary, or at worst one and a half salaries. Given that we are currently getting by on two full salaries that's a huge incentive for us.

As for the weather you probably wont believe this but we were wandering around Calgary quite happily in -10 or lower last week and never felt that cold within minutes of getting outside in Manchester we were shivering and it was +1 or so but it was damp and grey we definitely felt colder here. I cant explain it but its definitely true, the cold there is not as bad as the numbers might make you think. We like the cold and the snow was great, it was snow like I remember it as a kid. I was in heaven wandering about the streets in soft snow making that creaking sound as you walked on it.

Sorry if this isn't particularly objective but we LOVED it. We don't have a house to sell so as soon as we can get a TWP we are off.

If your thinking about it get over there and see for yourself I doubt you'll be disappointed.

The info we received from this board helped us get teh most out of our week and Julie and Eds enthusiasm is very infectious and IMO entirely justified. they looked after us great and gave us ideas and pointers that we would have missed otherwise.

We had a great trip that convinced us of what we want for our future and our kids we are crossing our fingers for CARNA and working hard on any other front that presents itself. thanks for your support guys it was really helpful especially on Wednesday when we were pretty low.

Cheers
Tom

a quick pic of me out on the ice of Lake Louise
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/s...04&limit=last7
Love the picture. Glad you feel at home in Calgary, lets keep our fingers crossed that CARNA come up trumps.