Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

reasons for moving to canada

reasons for moving to canada

Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:48 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons for moving to canada

Originally Posted by Shard
You will note that there does at least seem to be consensus on cheese.
and bacon
Old Mar 3rd 2013, 10:55 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
and bacon
Not necessarily on bacon, because some people in the UK prefer streaky bacon in the first place (not me). Also, you can get back bacon cut at the meat counter or the butchers.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:03 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spike50
well im all fired up to move to canada ,ive started the ball rolling getting some interviews for a job (trucking) now all i have to do is convince the other half .
just a bit of background , i have run my own truck for a number of years but sold it last year because i was just treading water so to speak and could only see it getting worse ,
since then we foster and childmind , i have been doing part time driveing for a local firm really just to keep me up to speed .
there doesnt seem any future here but my other half thinks this is ok , i dont , i have always strived to make things better and feel a bit stood still , just waiting for god .

so ..........i have looked round and a couple of mates have moved to ca and seem to enjoy it, ive done loads of research for myself and really like the idea of it and big mileages which i have always prefered ( i use to do spain and italy with my own motor so quite use to it )

here is my dilema , what did you move for ? all my missus sees is cold winters , give me some arguements please ,
thanks
I know we're 9 pages into this, but I would suggest reasons for moving to Canada should be your own reasons, based on what you've seen & on your experiences. I will never know how anyone has the balls to emigrate when they've not been to their new country. I think that even when you have visited a number if times, have a number of Canadian friends whom you keep in touch with & one half of your pairing has a job to go to, it's still hard.

So look at your life now, where you are & what you like/don't like and compare with where you think you'd like to settle in Canada. If you're not sure about that yet, then go take a trip, explore and compare. If your partner goes on the trip too, then hope that she loves it enough to see her future there.

Good luck! Katie
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:05 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by misskatpaw
I know we're 9 pages into this, but I would suggest reasons for moving to Canada should be your own reasons, based on what you've seen & on your experiences. I will never know how anyone has the balls to emigrate when they've not been to their new country. I think that even when you have visited a number if times, have a number of Canadian friends whom you keep in touch with & one half of your pairing has a job to go to, it's still hard.

So look at your life now, where you are & what you like/don't like and compare with where you think you'd like to settle in Canada. If you're not sure about that yet, then go take a trip, explore and compare. If your partner goes on the trip too, then hope that she loves it enough to see her future there.

Good luck! Katie
That is SO TRUE !
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:09 am
Outsyder Adventurer

misskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud ofmisskatpaw has much to be proud of

That is SO TRUE !
Old Mar 4th 2013, 12:16 am
Yo

BTW great blog. Beautiful photos, especially the moonrise. You guys look like you have found your place in the world.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:21 am
Outsyder Adventurer

BTW great blog. Beautiful photos, especially the moonrise. You guys look like you have found your place in the world.
Thank-you! and thanks for taking the time to browse it, Shard

I'm always the annoying one with the camera, making everyone wait while I photograph everything..but sometimes it's really worth it!
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:28 am
Yo

Thank-you! and thanks for taking the time to browse it, Shard

I'm always the annoying one with the camera, making everyone wait while I photograph everything..but sometimes it's really worth it!
I suppose if you have a bow and arrow on your back, nobody will dare making too many complaints!

Those look like high quality knives you are stocking, they remind me of Oppinel knives from France.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 1:57 am
Outsyder Adventurer

I suppose if you have a bow and arrow on your back, nobody will dare making too many complaints!

Those look like high quality knives you are stocking, they remind me of Oppinel knives from France.
I guess! Although most people know i'm not the violent type, usually

Yes the Helle knives are top quality, their website is also a lovely place to browse if you're into that sort of thing www.helle.no
Old Mar 5th 2013, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spike50
well im all fired up to move to canada ,ive started the ball rolling getting some interviews for a job (trucking) now all i have to do is convince the other half .
just a bit of background , i have run my own truck for a number of years but sold it last year because i was just treading water so to speak and could only see it getting worse ,
since then we foster and childmind , i have been doing part time driveing for a local firm really just to keep me up to speed .
there doesnt seem any future here but my other half thinks this is ok , i dont , i have always strived to make things better and feel a bit stood still , just waiting for god .

so ..........i have looked round and a couple of mates have moved to ca and seem to enjoy it, ive done loads of research for myself and really like the idea of it and big mileages which i have always prefered ( i use to do spain and italy with my own motor so quite use to it )

here is my dilema , what did you move for ? all my missus sees is cold winters , give me some arguements please ,
thanks
Some of it's cold, but Canada's a big place with lots of climates. You can live on the West coast if you don't like the cold, but like the UK, it'll be damp, with dull days in the winter.

Some of the colder places have a different cold from the damp chill of a UK winter. Take Calgary. Our friends in the UK assume it's freezing and snows all the time, but the key thing here is that it's dry, and sunny - we get far more sunny days than anywhere in the UK, including Cornwall. And the summers? Again dry, and warm.