Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

reasons for moving to canada

reasons for moving to canada

Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:46 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: reasons for moving to canada

Originally Posted by clay
teenager argueing with some others and he pulled a handgun and fired a shot, police arrested him, think he missed his target, seems to be a gun related crime every week reported in the Metro, hence why I was asking seriously why this is the best place in the world to bring up kids, we have a 4 year old and are deciding whether to stay ( not just because of the gun crime rate ) just in general.. schooling etc.... whats your thoughts ? seem to read about kids from the Uk being at least a year in front when they start school, our little one is still in daycare, so not that concerned yet.. we are happy with the daycare here though... and what her prospects are in NS when she;s older...
Hmmm, well my oldest started school in the UK at 4.5 years so when she arrived here she was a year ahead but she was copying in maths as she simply couldnt keep up and she could read but couldnt tell you what she was reading about. Now, shes loving maths and enjoying reading, she can explain what the point of what shes reading is. I felt that they went along at a pace in the school in England, it seems to be more relaxed here, theres more time to take it in. But this is just what I have experienced.

I am hoping both of mine go to University here when they finish school as we are realising thats pretty much a necessity to get a decent job. That was always on our radar though, wherever we chose to live.

I do think its a shame that theres a crime rate in Halifax, but its a city, the two seem to go hand in hand. I still prefer it it 100% to any Southern UK City but again thats me personally, my view.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 1:03 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
Hmmm, well my oldest started school in the UK at 4.5 years so when she arrived here she was a year ahead but she was copying in maths as she simply couldnt keep up and she could read but couldnt tell you what she was reading about. Now, shes loving maths and enjoying reading, she can explain what the point of what shes reading is. I felt that they went along at a pace in the school in England, it seems to be more relaxed here, theres more time to take it in. But this is just what I have experienced.

I am hoping both of mine go to University here when they finish school as we are realising thats pretty much a necessity to get a decent job. That was always on our radar though, wherever we chose to live.

I do think its a shame that theres a crime rate in Halifax, but its a city, the two seem to go hand in hand. I still prefer it it 100% to any Southern UK City but again thats me personally, my view.
That's an understatement.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 9:39 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
That's an understatement.
All I care about is that shes learning, shes not stressed, shes only 8. At the end of the day all the kids that are in Uni are educated and doing well. Its not a bad thing to be more relaxed....
Old Feb 11th 2013, 11:44 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
All I care about is that shes learning, shes not stressed, shes only 8. At the end of the day all the kids that are in Uni are educated and doing well. Its not a bad thing to be more relaxed....
I couldn't agree more with that. My son could spout long poems by Jean de la Fontaine, which seems to be a requirement for all French Schoolkids, but was terrified of getting a bad mark - as in really scared. He is in grade 6 here and quite a bit ahead of the other kids, but that's giving him time to enjoy settling in more I think. When talking 'long term', Canada is more of a level playing field for children, my kid won't be penalised because he has 'funny foreign' parents here, because a great majority of kids do. I do, and am, having a few daily struggles here but that's just because I don't quite tick all of Canada's boxes, and I'm not totally sure that I want to - but my son does and maybe he might end up being an unemployed bum, but that won't be due to lack of other choices.
Old Feb 11th 2013, 12:08 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by MillieF
I couldn't agree more with that. My son could spout long poems by Jean de la Fontaine, which seems to be a requirement for all French Schoolkids, but was terrified of getting a bad mark - as in really scared. He is in grade 6 here and quite a bit ahead of the other kids, but that's giving him time to enjoy settling in more I think. When talking 'long term', Canada is more of a level playing field for children, my kid won't be penalised because he has 'funny foreign' parents here, because a great majority of kids do. I do, and am, having a few daily struggles here but that's just because I don't quite tick all of Canada's boxes, and I'm not totally sure that I want to - but my son does and maybe he might end up being an unemployed bum, but that won't be due to lack of other choices.
I sometimes find it hard here too, its a different country. I am slowly feeling more like I fit in but sometimes its 1 step forward, 2 steps back on that front
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:26 pm
Just Joined

spike50 will become famous soon enough

oh dear, not many good reasons to batter the other half with
so far , theres guns , schooling is good /bad
erm
come on people give some positives

oh and the cheese is crap

so ill bring my own wensleydale
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

ninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond reputeninaDGBCA has a reputation beyond repute

It really depends on where you'd end up. Ottawa: summer and sunshine from latest end May until at least September with temp between 25 and 35 degrees. Warm lakes and rivers with beaches. Very humid. Lots of mosquitos
Vancouver: mid 20s and a lot of rain. Not much snow. Weather prob most similar to the UK
Calgary: dry and warm with the possibility of a sudden cold day even in June, lakes won't warm up a lot but great for hiking and stunning views.
Maritimes: close to the Ocean, moderate warm, moderate rain, sometimes bad storms in Halifax. Laid back people
Prairies: hot in summer and very cold in winter. Saskatoon is supposed to be very nice.
Nunavut: cold

It's like saying "I want to work in Europe where is best?" It all depends if you want the hot summer, but then you'll end up with the cold winter, too. If you want to skii and hike or rather spend your holidays in Vermont,USA. If you want to be near the Ocean or hate humidity...............
You see what I am trying to say. Maybe find out first where you want to go and then ask specifically what is in that area. Or find out what you expect from Canada and we might be able to tell you where to look for a job.

Like I said before we moved because OH got a better job, more responsibility, more money, better weather and lots nicer for the kids than where we were before.
I wasn't really fussed as where to go and would have happily stayed in the UK but at the time there were no real job opportunities for OH in the UK. but it is nice here. OH had a job offer from Auckland, NZ, too. We choose Canada because flights back are cheaper and quicker and our parents are getting old and won't be able to fly 24 + hours to see the grandchildren. And with 3 kids we couldn't afford NZ - UK once a year.

Last edited by ninaDGBCA; Feb 13th 2013 at 7:54 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 7:51 pm
Banned

Boink is just really niceBoink is just really niceBoink is just really niceBoink is just really niceBoink is just really niceBoink is just really niceBoink is just really niceBoink is just really nice

Originally Posted by spike50
oh dear, not many good reasons to batter the other half with
so far , theres guns , schooling is good /bad
erm
come on people give some positives

oh and the cheese is crap

so ill bring my own wensleydale
I read that a picture says a thousand words. Show her how she will look after assimilation. If that doesn't get her scampering over here i don't know what will.

Good luck, she sounds like a hard nut to crack.

Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:52 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boink
I read that a picture says a thousand words. Show her how she will look after assimilation. If that doesn't get her scampering over here i don't know what will.

Good luck, she sounds like a hard nut to crack.
What a shame that you did not also read that grown ups don't judge people on their looks.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

That cigarette ash ^^^^ is about to fall
Old Feb 13th 2013, 8:58 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
What a shame that you did not also read that grown ups don't judge people on their looks.
I think it looks very pretty.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 9:58 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF
Were you made to feel like "funny foreign parents" in France? It seems fairly multicultural these days??
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by Shard
Were you made to feel like "funny foreign parents" in France? It seems fairly multicultural these days??
Probably didn't have nothing to do with ethnicity or culture.
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:33 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bats
I guess you're judging as Boink probably meant she may start smoking
Old Feb 13th 2013, 10:44 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I guess you're judging as Boink probably meant she may start smoking
You may have a point there.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.