Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Reasons to move or NOT move to PEI?

Reasons to move or NOT move to PEI?

Old Feb 27th 2013, 9:23 am
Forum Regular

cyasoon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reasons to move or NOT move to PEI?

Hi there. It's a toss up, for me and my family to move back to Canada from the UK to go to either PEI (lovely scenery, cheap housing) or New Brunswick. Originally from the West Coast, I know very little about either of these provinces.

PEI seems a nice place to grow old in. Can others who have moved to PEI advise of the economy, what its like for kids, small town life? amenities, schools? Looking Summerside or Alberton areas.

thanks to you all.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 11:23 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reasons to move or NOT move to PEI?

Well PEI was in a list of the Top 20 Places to retire to last month, but I believe that that was based primarily on cost, and that the PEI government, didn't exactly welcome their inclusion with open arms either. NB is fairly large area, where were you thinking of?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 2:30 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cominghome
Hi there. It's a toss up, for me and my family to move back to Canada from the UK to go to either PEI (lovely scenery, cheap housing) or New Brunswick. Originally from the West Coast, I know very little about either of these provinces.

PEI seems a nice place to grow old in. Can others who have moved to PEI advise of the economy, what its like for kids, small town life? amenities, schools? Looking Summerside or Alberton areas.

thanks to you all.
A few years back when I lived in Ottawa there were quite a number of younger folk from out east who had moved to Ontario. Got the impression there was a lack of job opportunities for younger people.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Hello, thanks for the info. I was thinking of Summerside, though bit worried about what you both said. Hope to start up a b&b or buy one maybe. I don't see much for kids who have autism though (my child has autism) and just rang a local school today in Alberton (my first choice cause of cheap housing) and they barely knew what I was talking about. Not good.

Can't afford B.C. seeing as an outdoor toilet would cost half a million. Just looking somewhere to settle out of rat race with some decent neighbours. Small town life, though, don't know if I could do the cake sales and curling thing.
Old Feb 27th 2013, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Millie F, I see you are in N.Brunswick - how is the employment situation there? House prices? Winters?
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:37 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

I'm maybe not the best one to ask, Bristol, and Tangram and many others have been here much longer. But, I am feeling quite good about the Winter! I sat outside today! Yes the snow IS deep but in the sun it's lovely! It felt fantastic! I will be able to cope with the winters, I was scared I might find it too too dreadful, but other than the odd day of the blues, it was doable.

The house prices here are much less than in many parts of Canada. If you google 'houses for sale in' Fredericton, Moncton wherever, you will get a good idea. I can waste days doing that! It also depends if you want to live a little outside of town, where you will find the prices somewhat less, or in town, where they are higher.

Again, work is difficult for me to comment on, my husband works abroad, as he always has, so nothing changed on that score when we moved to Canada...he just has further to come home. I want to work here, as our son has just started junior high, and am presently temping, which suits me for myriad reasons, and I hope will lead to full time work in the future. The World job market changed when I wasn't watching, and its taking me time to catch up to it! It is governed by so many variables.

I've had six months in NB, and I have mostly enjoyed them. The people are super, helpful, friendly and kind. I take our dog to the park and am gone for hours as a friendly person has stopped to talk. We are invited somewhere or another most weekends. I am Really looking forward to spring, I've settled down enough to be desperate to explore a bit further afield...Halifax, St. John and PEI and Quebec City and St. Andrews are on my immediate hit list but I think they would be better...without snow!

Life for me in NB has opened up new possibilities, I feel an irrepresable optimism, which had disappered for a while; maybe I'd just got a bit entrenched in my old life, so needed a mental shaking.

Where are you originally from in Canada, cominghome? My husband is from BC, so although he did 'come home' we ended up quite a bit off target!
Old Feb 27th 2013, 5:44 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Millie F, I see you are in N.Brunswick - how is the employment situation there? House prices? Winters?
Employment ? - depends on your skillset and what you are looking for
House prices ? - depends on your income, but in comparison, cheaper than going west
Winters ? - this one hasn't been too bad but you dress and drive appropriately.
Old Mar 2nd 2013, 1:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

I think if I was retiring then I would choose Charlottetown over NB. Very nice small city and has a bit of character. Hard to say the same for most places in NB.

PEI imho would be better to start a B&B albeit highly seasonal.

Moncton is a nice medium size city and has most of what you want but hardly somewhere that most would consider a retirement destination.

The down side to being on PEI is that you have to pay $40 odd to get off the Island via the Bridge.
Old Mar 18th 2013, 1:29 am
Just Joined

Malahu7 is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks to you all.
We moved to Charlottetown in PEI 5 years ago with a 12 year old son from Scotland.I don't know a lot about Summerside/Alberton except that they are pretty rural and not sure either would be a good place to have a B and B.The Health Services (and I work in Health care) are poor,10,000 people are without a family doctor on the island and I'm not sure I would like to be old and sick here.As with most places in Canada,sport facilities are pretty good for kids,but I am fairly unimpressed with the educational standards.We also have a major prescription drug abuse problem among teens/adults.
That said we are very happy here,people are very friendly and the pace of life is slow compared to other parts of the country.
Charlottetown is a bit more multicultural because of the University and has loads of activities for kids/teens.
If you have any questions feel free to ask
Old Mar 18th 2013, 3:39 pm
cxx
BE Enthusiast

cxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond reputecxx has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Malahu7
The Health Services (and I work in Health care) are poor,10,000 people are without a family doctor on the island and I'm not sure I would like to be old and sick here.
There are over 9000 people in Moncton without a GP too, although I know some immigrant doctors who would love to work in the area if they were allowed to.
Old Mar 20th 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

Summerside was just ranked bottom 2 in Best Cities to live in Canada ranking by Money Sense.

http://www.moneysense.ca/best-places-2013/
Old May 30th 2013, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

Hmm, going off PEI and looking more towards NB. Have friends in St Stephen and area.

Anyone know the area and advise re: flooding/ice storms? What's the water quality like?

Any advices appreciated.
Old May 30th 2013, 10:13 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyasoon
Hmm, going off PEI and looking more towards NB. Have friends in St Stephen and area.

Anyone know the area and advise re: flooding/ice storms? What's the water quality like?

Any advices appreciated.
Wouldn't your friends know ?
Old May 30th 2013, 1:17 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cyasoon
I don't see much for kids who have autism though (my child has autism) and just rang a local school today in Alberton (my first choice cause of cheap housing) and they barely knew what I was talking about. Not good.

Can't afford B.C. seeing as an outdoor toilet would cost half a million. Just looking somewhere to settle out of rat race with some decent neighbours. Small town life, though, don't know if I could do the cake sales and curling thing.
Small city/town life in BC is far more affordable than you're suggesting (outside of the lower mainland). There are good autism facilities in places too: http://www.chrisrosecentre.com/page2/page7/page7.html
Old May 30th 2013, 1:43 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Do a search on autism on previous threads, there is loads of info for you to consider.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.