Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

realtors......would a British estate agent system do well here

realtors......would a British estate agent system do well here

Old Aug 14th 2009, 1:13 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: realtors......would a British estate agent system do well here

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Or as you are still in the uk and already moaning about how canadians do things.....stay in the UK.

Several posts have started saying how some realtors do not work for the money, etc etc

Sorry I love being a realtor and helping as much as the next person, but I have a mortgage to pay and two teenage sons who just cost lots of money and both hoping to go on to university.

I work to earn a living to pay my bills and to have the things I want in life. I am lucky that I really enjoy my job. Like the other realtors I give a gift to my clients but i have heard of some who give 25% of their pay away!!!! for using their services.

Sorry folks but I only go to work to earn money. My voluntary work is done in my free time when I am not working.

If I come up on the lottery you will not see me for dust, I will be out camping, skiing, golfing and drinking wine.
The difference between the posts of you and Sam is astonishing and I would suggest that your viewpoint represents the "majority". The compassion that shines through your posts is very heart warming
Old Aug 14th 2009, 4:34 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
You have a choice to use a realtor or not. In Cochrane today there are 199 houses for sale by realtors. Privately on 'we list' which is the main one here there are 17. These two figures tell me that more people want to pay a realtor to sell their house than do it privately. That is their choice.
Sorry but thats bullshit. To realistically sell a house you have to at least offer commission to a buyers agent. This is nothing more than a kick back...

Sure - I wouldn't turn down a kickback if it was legal and an accepted practise in my profession, but that still doesn't mean people can't complain about it.

The level of protectism in the industry is a joke - especially when the barriers to entry should be zero.

I should have the right to represent myself as my own buyers agent and not be forced into paying for a service I don't want. If selling realtors passed on the buying agents commission to the buyer directly then I'd bet you'd start to see a BIG drop in number of buyers using an agent...
Old Aug 14th 2009, 10:52 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Sorry but thats bullshit. To realistically sell a house you have to at least offer commission to a buyers agent. This is nothing more than a kick back...

Sure - I wouldn't turn down a kickback if it was legal and an accepted practise in my profession, but that still doesn't mean people can't complain about it.

The level of protectism in the industry is a joke - especially when the barriers to entry should be zero.

I should have the right to represent myself as my own buyers agent and not be forced into paying for a service I don't want. If selling realtors passed on the buying agents commission to the buyer directly then I'd bet you'd start to see a BIG drop in number of buyers using an agent...

Buy For Sale by Owner, then there's no commission, and you can represent yourself.

But if you've never used a good buyers agent then you really don't know what you are missing. A good agent will save you time and money and worry.
Old Aug 14th 2009, 11:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
Buy For Sale by Owner, then there's no commission, and you can represent yourself.

But if you've never used a good buyers agent then you really don't know what you are missing. A good agent will save you time and money and worry.
The choice to restrict yourself to FSBO properties isn't really a choice at all. It doesn't matter how good a job you do, the fact that you cannot meaningfully refuse the services of a purchasers realtor means that you (collectively) are not operating in a free market. This is my main complaint - it's not that you do not earn the income you receive, it's that I cannot do the work myself if I so choose. It doesn't mean that I would make that choice, but it would be nice to actually have it.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:26 am
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
The choice to restrict yourself to FSBO properties isn't really a choice at all. It doesn't matter how good a job you do, the fact that you cannot meaningfully refuse the services of a purchasers realtor means that you (collectively) are not operating in a free market. This is my main complaint - it's not that you do not earn the income you receive, it's that I cannot do the work myself if I so choose. It doesn't mean that I would make that choice, but it would be nice to actually have it.
The reason that people hire Realtors is the exact same reason the Company's hire Marketing Consultants and Advertising Agencies., they know that the professionals make a better job than eager amateurs. You just don't see the cost of that when you buy your Kellogg's Corn Flakes. But you can always buy the cheaper, un-advertised "own brand" supermarket products.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The reason that people hire Realtors is the exact same reason the Company's hire Marketing Consultants and Advertising Agencies., they know that the professionals make a better job than eager amateurs. You just don't see the cost of that when you buy your Kellogg's Corn Flakes. But you can always buy the cheaper, un-advertised "own brand" supermarket products.

In this analogy is Sam-In-Okotoks the PC realtor; better than the name brand and cheaper to boot?
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:38 am
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by dbd33
In this analogy is Sam-In-Okotoks the PC realtor; better than the name brand and cheaper to boot?
YES, she could well be, from what she says she would seem to be.

I would love to earn her minimum commission on every sale, but in my market we rarely see her minimum commission, let alone her higher commissions.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:54 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

YES, she could well be, from what she says she would seem to be.

I would love to earn her minimum commission on every sale, but in my market we rarely see her minimum commission, let alone her higher commissions.
There's a thing, the different markets make a huge difference. JonboyE says that realtors take years to build up contacts and I don't doubt that's true in a small town but in a perpetually hot market like the Beach, or I suppose much of Vancouver, one rarely sees listings this year from the same agents as last year.

The hot agent in the Beach now, the Wright Sisters, had no presence five years ago and will likely have none in five years hence. I suppose this is, in part, because few people stay; they buy into the neighbourhood, feel fulfilled in having been fashionable and move on. The clients and the agent aren't going to have contact after the one sale and, within a transient population, there's little in the way of referrals.

I wonder where last year's hot agent went. Perhaps retired to the Bahamas. Perhaps selling furniture.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 1:56 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Companies arern't forced to hire those people. The company I work for does all it's own marketing and branding. I think you are missing the point I'm making - it's not about the value realtors may or may not add.

Last edited by Alan2005; Aug 15th 2009 at 2:00 am.
Old Aug 15th 2009, 3:59 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jimf

I've been in Canada a while now. .

So your location shows UK. Have you move to canada and happy to say you have or are you mentally still in the UK, and still wish you were.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 3:46 pm
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute

Its not the selling agent (marketing) that I'm complaining about. Drawing on the same analogy if safeway offered me a free personal shopping assistant, that cost me nothing (but everything in the store cost 3% more) and went round recommending which packet of cornflakes to buy, then I'd shop elsewhere.

Problem being there is no other choice in real estate. All I want is the choice, then at least I can make the decision whether or not to pay for the services of a buyers agent.
Old Aug 17th 2009, 4:54 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rob_999
Problem being there is no other choice in real estate. All I want is the choice, then at least I can make the decision whether or not to pay for the services of a buyers agent.
You can chose to work without a buyer's agent if you want. Find a house you like and decide how much you want to pay for it. Then work out how much the buyer's agent's commission would be and reduce the offer by this amount. Tell the seller what you have done and let them decide weather to accept the loss themselves, or to renegotiate with their agent.

It is not a way I would recommend going about things, but it is not correct to say you have no choice.