Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

realtors......would a British estate agent system do well here

realtors......would a British estate agent system do well here

Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of
Default Re: realtors......would a British estate agent system do well here

Originally Posted by Alan2005
That just sounds like realtor scaremongering. Happy to be proved wrong, but how would a realtor protect you from this (assume that I can get a lawyer to draw up contracts and a surveyor to do the buildings stuff). Unless there is information about property that only realtors can know about that is.

The fact is that despite all my complaints about the crappy canadian realtor system (the UK is bad, but this is a lot worse in terms of value for money), I will still probably use one because while I resent losing the 4% to a purchasers realtor who hasn't done much other than fill in a few details on document templates, I sure as hell don't want it going to the sellers realtor.
Not all Realtors charge the same fee's in Calgary / Okotoks.

When I act as the buying agent, I actually give every buyer 25% of my commission in cash the day they move into their new home. This is yours to what you want with, stick it in your pocket, pay the lawyer fee's whatever you want. I even have an online calculator showing you how much I will give back www.callrhino.com/cbcalc.asp

When I sell houses I do it for a fixed fee of 3000, 4000 or 5000 dollars depending on the value of the house.

So please don't tar every realtor with the same brush, I do my very best to save my clients money and I always do my very best to provide the best possible service I can.

Sam
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:20 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sam-in-Okotoks

When I act as the buying agent, I actually give every buyer 25% of my commission in cash the day they move into their new home. This is yours to what you want with, stick it in your pocket, pay the lawyer fee's whatever you want. I even have an online calculator showing you how much I will give back www.callrhino.com/cbcalc.asp

When I sell houses I do it for a fixed fee of 3000, 4000 or 5000 dollars depending on the value of the house.

So please don't tar every realtor with the same brush, I do my very best to save my clients money and I always do my very best to provide the best possible service I can.

Sam
Go SAMMIE Go SAMMIE
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud ofSam-in-Okotoks has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Go SAMMIE Go SAMMIE
Thanks Butch - I'm so glad your back
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:23 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Sam
Actually - that sounds like a good deal
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:26 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Sam (and my other friendly Realtor in Ok) DO offer a good deal AND excellent service (for realtors )
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

I think is a great deal, thats why I choose to work for a reduced fee real estate brokerage. Not all Realtors like it because lots of clients jump ship and deal with me. I still offer all the usual free relocation stuff with the added bonus of a cash back reward.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:30 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Sam (and my other friendly Realtor in Ok) DO offer a good deal AND excellent service (for realtors )
She should have posted that several pages ago. It has kind of taken away the cause of my overblown indignation.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

She should have posted that several pages ago. It has kind of taken away the cause of my overblown indignation.

Stop it you are making me wet myself and only Butch normally makes me do that
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:08 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

You should franchise this idea coast-to-coast. You would soon be the Richard Branson of the Canadian real estate scene.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:10 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

They are both good points - but I would say

1 - You shouldn't need a realtor to find comparibles - is that information not in the public domain. Stuart said it was. Anyway, I wouldn't offer 5% less, I'll be offering a lot less than that. If you aren't embarrassed by your offer you are offering to much as they say

2 - Any offer I make will only be subject to the survey and home report etc and not funding. I wouldn't even make an offer unless I had funding already in place.

3 - Neither of those things is worth 4% of the cost of a property. There is no reason that this couldn't be a fixed price service.
1) I was being economical with the truth, The selling price is available from the municipality, you have to pay in MB $10 for each title search, and how do you know which house that sold recently is comparible to the one you want to buy,as no other pertinent information is kept, room sizes etc. There is ONLY one easily accessible, reliable, source for this information, the people who have built the database for years, Realtors. Unlike the UK there is no central governmental organisation that collates this information. Canadian government is from the bottom UP, not the top down as the UK.

2) A surveyor here will look at the boundaries of the land and prepare a survey certificate showing the location of the buildings relative to the boundaries, it costs $350.00 you pay for this when buying a house, unless the seller has a copy. A surveyor will not prepare a structural report on a house, the nearest thing is a House Inspection and that is a long way from a UK Surveyor. The nearest thing here would be to get a report from a structural engineer, normally this is only done commercially as its not cheap.

3) Its worth is what people will pay, and the vast majority of Canadians are used to the system and are surprised that they don't have to pay 7% any more. for the last 20 years there has been an 80/20 split between sellers who use a Realtor, and all private sales including those between family members etc., that percentage has not changed despite the advance of the Internet.

I am quite happy to defend Realtors as I am proud of the job that I and most of my fellow Realtors do, it can be a fun job, is always a challenge, and is rewarding in many ways other than money.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:13 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

You should franchise this idea coast-to-coast. You would soon be the Richard Branson of the Canadian real estate scene.
It is a coast to coast franchise Idea, there are several similar companies 1% Realty being one of the better known, But it only works in the higher priced areas, and then not as well as you would think it would, due to Real Estate being a Person to Person business rather than a pure company brand attraction.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Aug 12th 2009 at 11:17 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by MB-Realtor
1) I was being economical with the truth, The selling price is available from the municipality, you have to pay in MB $10 for each title search, and how do you know which house that sold recently is comparible to the one you want to buy,as no other pertinent information is kept, room sizes etc. There is ONLY one easily accessible, reliable, source for this information, the people who have built the database for years, Realtors. Unlike the UK there is no central governmental organisation that collates this information. Canadian government is from the bottom UP, not the top down as the UK.

2) A surveyor here will look at the boundaries of the land and prepare a survey certificate showing the location of the buildings relative to the boundaries, it costs $350.00 you pay for this when buying a house, unless the seller has a copy. A surveyor will not prepare a structural report on a house, the nearest thing is a House Inspection and that is a long way from a UK Surveyor. The nearest thing here would be to get a report from a structural engineer, normally this is only done commercially as its not cheap.

3) Its worth is what people will pay, and the vast majority of Canadians are used to the system and are surprised that they don't have to pay 7% any more. for the last 20 years there has been an 80/20 split between sellers who use a Realtor, and all private sales including those between family members etc., that percentage has not changed despite the advance of the Internet.

I am quite happy to defend Realtors as I am proud of the job that I and most of my fellow Realtors do, it can be a fun job, is always a challenge, and is rewarding in many ways other than money.
I know, but you aren't very good at it.

Fortunately for you, Sam did a much better job of defending your profession. With just one post she's convinced me that some of you aren't actually pure evil
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

Wouldn't that be great !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:21 pm
Banned

Stop it you are making me wet myself and only Butch normally makes me do that
I didnt realise you felt that strongly about me!!!!!!!! Shall we elope??????
Old Aug 12th 2009, 11:25 pm
RETIRED Realtor

There is a place for the discount brokers.

Here in Winnipeg there are vast differences in what a Realtor charges, Some list for .5% and you choose how much to pay the selling agent (normally between 2 & 3%)

You would think every body would use them, but strangely they don't.

All the competition is at the lower end of the market, the guy in Winnipeg who specializes in selling the expensive homes, never charges less than 6% and his normal is 7%, you see his name on 8 out of 10 listings over $750,000 (expensive in Winnipeg). He is no better than the vast majority of Agents, it just that he has and maintains his contacts in Winnipeg society, person to person.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.