Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Or, like I said earlier, moving from the UK to Canada (or USA) affords Brits a one-time cashing-in opportunity to buy a "better" lifestyle, which is all but impossible to do in the other direction. Many people just can't afford to move back.
I think the 'cash in situation' has certainly dropped for emigrants from UK to Canada, may still be true, but not nearly as much compared to when the Pound was at 2.25 per 1 Canadian/US Dollar and our house prices were much lower at that time.

I help many lonely and homesick Brits move back by saving them thousands in oceanfreight, it's a shame because I'd rather see them stay.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:32 am
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by el_richo
But by your point earlier, more uk folks move to Spain (or France) than Canada. So by your own rules, they must be better, and have better opportunities than, Canada.

I forget your answer but what are the better opportunities again?
The average person moving for gainful employment cannot be compared to the masses that may move to France or Spain because they are already sitting on a lump of gold, retiring or close to retirement, and are simply seeking a better climate.

For Canadian Opportunities visit - http://www.expo-canada.com/
and. . . Why?
http://www.expo-canada.com/why_canada.aspx
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:52 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Really? Impossible? I'd be curious to understand that mentality.

I'm currently looking to move back to Scotland and even with the "recession" have been told that it's not all doom and gloom.

I have a good job here in Canada and don't really want for anything financially. Thanks to my divorce years earlier, I've already liquidated everything, so I don't have burden of the major house asset selling issue that most others have. Figuring out a comparative job and salary in the UK and if I could land that job and salary seems viable and is currently in the works. From what I've gathered, cost of living is relative and shouldn't be a problem.

A better lifestyle isn't always about the amount of money you have or you think you have - unfortunately, I've had to learn that the hard way but at least I've learned from it.
+1 the moving back bit, not the divorce bit

If I go back to Scotland, it would be pretty much mortgage free too, thanks to smart real estate investing here.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 6:38 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdashmore
...yes my opinion is completely subjective but remarkably still true.
Brilliant

5) When you find out, please tell me how many Canadians settled/admitted into the UK in 2010?
What's the point? I think it's generally accepted that more brits come here than Canadians go to the UK. However, your interpretation that this implies Canada is "better" is something that you've just made that up.

It could equally mean jings's standard of living step, or the fact that north americans are generally very parochial and don't travel abroad much for holidays, let alone to live.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 7:27 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

The average person moving for gainful employment cannot be compared to the masses that may move to France or Spain because they are already sitting on a lump of gold, retiring or close to retirement, and are simply seeking a better climate.

For Canadian Opportunities visit - http://www.expo-canada.com/
and. . . Why?
http://www.expo-canada.com/why_canada.aspx
So your previous view of the country with the highest immigration figures wins is incorrect then.

Do you believe Australia has better opportunities than Canada? Is so, other than more brits move there, why?

Your links tell me nothing as to why Canada has better opportunities than the UK. Do you not agree that both countries can offer different opportunities to people? Some better and some not?

Nova scotia has a higher unemployment rate than the UK. Does this mean the UK has better opportunities, in your view?

Actually, can you give me your definition of opportunities. Are we talking as a whole? Sports? Education? Work? Travel? Health? Retirement?

I'm genuinely confused how you can think a whole country has better opportunities in everything, for every one, when compared to another whole country.

Old Jul 14th 2012, 8:43 am
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

So your previous view of the country with the highest immigration figures wins is incorrect then.

Do you believe Australia has better opportunities than Canada? Is so, other than more brits move there, why?

Your links tell me nothing as to why Canada has better opportunities than the UK. Do you not agree that both countries can offer different opportunities to people? Some better and some not?

Nova scotia has a higher unemployment rate than the UK. Does this mean the UK has better opportunities, in your view?

Actually, can you give me your definition of opportunities. Are we talking as a whole? Sports? Education? Work? Travel? Health? Retirement?

I'm genuinely confused how you can think a whole country has better opportunities in everything, for every one, when compared to another whole country.

Well this has got me thinking...you don't get many Somali pirates on this forum...
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:02 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
Well this has got me thinking...you don't get many Somali pirates on this forum...
What does that have to do with Canada or the UK?

Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:55 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I think he meant the Smiley Police not the Somali Pirates for your continued excessive use of a smiley. Maybe
Old Jul 14th 2012, 9:59 am
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Exactly. I just hope they aren't being excluded
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:26 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Hawk13
I think he meant the Smiley Police not the Somali Pirates for your continued excessive use of a smiley. Maybe
Hypocrite.

Still, can you explain where my excess use is? If you could link to posts, that would be great. Cheers <thumbs up>

Last edited by el_richo; Jul 14th 2012 at 10:29 am.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:36 am
Beep

Originally Posted by didikai
Exactly. I just hope they aren't being excluded
Nope, they're enjoying life in canada by the looks of things.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:55 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

We may agree on a few things
Good luck
I'm full of shit ideas today
Emerse yourself in YOUR life, not the media's or other peoples.
I guess the main difference is i had 5 major cities within commuting distance and work opportunities
Win Win
Probably as many people live in them as they do chav infested hell holes
I still stand by post #10. It's by far the best advice in this thread so far
15% drop forecasted for Vancouver so at least it'll bring prices a little closer to its natural levels
Did you know that you can only have a maximum of 10 images per post?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:57 am
Up Your Kilt

It's funny, young people are complaining about the same thing in Canada. Who'd have thunk it

Median house price in Vancouver is ~$700k whereas Median household income is ~$68k. Work out the affordability with your economics 101

Welcome to Canada
Just don't forget to live life where you're at now otherwise you'll miss some really good bits
Ha, no i've been in a couple of meetings so i've needed something to take my mind off them

Maybe it's the looming parenthood that's switching on some extra brain receptors
Oh i've been sleep deprived for years already
I'm pretty sure it's temporary
Heres hoping
Take II
Old Jul 14th 2012, 10:59 am
Up Your Kilt

On that money you'd probably have to fly Air Transpoo too
There are not many rich men in this world then

This board shows how poor most are
Surely if you're happy with your lot in life you wouldn't want a change

Either way, I'd not move to Canada for less than $100k. Moreso without a job
I call that a Vacation. I usually do it a couple of times a year

I didn't say everyone

My next vacation will no doubt be around the time i'm looking to change my routine a little
I've learned to appreciate everything i have in life. Today is always the best day in the world
Nope, it's because more youngsters are off their faces on drugs in Canada so they're a little more lethargic
Take III
Old Jul 14th 2012, 11:00 am
Up Your Kilt

In the same place as your irrefutable evidence countering
I'm having leftover Thai food for lunch. I'm very excited
We really are two peas in a pod you and I Jericho
Oooh, if i go through your posting history, will i find anything in there showing critisism without construct?
Like hairdressers, humour, and drivers, they're much better in the UK
The Blue Moon in Sidney on Vancouver Island does proper chips and a cracking batter on their huge portions of fish. It's the best of the bunch for me so far, but too far away to make it a regular.
How do you explain

So Australia and Spain have better opportunities than Canada
So your previous view of the country

Hypocrite.

Still, can you explain where my excess use is? If you could link to posts, that would be great. Cheers <thumbs up>
LOL - it was the "confused" ones that the police were worried about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.