Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Also I noticed every time I would go out at home, there would be a bar fight, where someone was bottled, or knifed, or kicked, and Ive never once seen one here.
Ahem. You're five minutes by foot from the Diplomat and from Molly Bloom's. If you wanted to see this you could walk over and see it Thursday through Sunday every week.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:25 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyxx
People in Guelph don't even lock their doors....
I don't suppose you've met any Canadians not from Guelph. They think it's hell. They point out that St. George's Square is an open market for drugs and that radiating from there each alley has people collapsed on meth. They find it terrifying that one cannot leave an empty beer bottle outside the house for five minutes because it'll be stolen for the deposit money. I like the place well enough but there's no denying that it looks as bad as the fabled DTES.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:30 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by FirstRatofftheShipUK
Also - DBD33 is still a little bit sour with the Lumber and Sawmills Union (Local 2995) since they pulled his card in 63' upon discovering his past shenanigans informing for the OPP, coupled with his financial support for JD in his dying days.
I've spent next to nothing on Jack Daniels, I'm more a Jim Beam kinda guy.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:23 am

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
Me twa!
Me anaw!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 2:00 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Me anaw!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

rdashmore is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Soooo, you want to use a statistic as proof of your claim, and then can't provide the statistic?

You're happy in Canada, we get that, I'm glad for you. But don't just invent facts.
Yes, happy in Canada, thanks.

I am just that confident that more people settle in our direction from the UK, I did not fabricate or invent any statistic and to the contrary asked if anyone had a firm statistic for Canadians settling in UK. Point taken that it is not conclusive, but once I find something, I'll be sure to share it with you.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
so if you cant find the figures how do you know?
I just do. ;o) Amazing eh!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
So Australia and Spain have better opportunities than Canada
There is a good argument fo Australia having similar opportunities for Brits to that available in Canada, we are very similar economies of scale and the Brits who do move to both nations are looking for work.

In the case of Spain it is mainly sun seeking wealthy folk not so much the average person or family. Not to mention the opportunities are shite in Spain, a language barrier, and their economy is blah.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdashmore
I am just that confident that more people settle in our direction from the UK
If true, all that shows is that Canadians, like Americans, just don't travel all that much.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 4:57 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, happy in Canada, thanks.

I am just that confident that more people settle in our direction from the UK, I did not fabricate or invent any statistic and to the contrary asked if anyone had a firm statistic for Canadians settling in UK. Point taken that it is not conclusive, but once I find something, I'll be sure to share it with you.
Originally Posted by Alan2005
If true, all that shows is that Canadians, like Americans, just don't travel all that much.
Or, like I said earlier, moving from the UK to Canada (or USA) affords Brits a one-time cashing-in opportunity to buy a "better" lifestyle, which is all but impossible to do in the other direction. Many people just can't afford to move back.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

So please tell me what opportunities the average person in Toronto has in oil & gas; or what opportunities the average person in Retard, MB has in finance?

Or are you suggesting that, because Canada is so vast, and that there are pockets of opportunity dotted here and there, that ALL of Canada must be credited as a Land Of Opportunity? That's nonsense, and exactly the same argument could be applied to the UK, or Europe, or Africa.

I've highlighted a piece of gibberish in your post, completely unsupportable. Incidentally, did you know, for example that 30% of Canadians use the Food Bank? One in three Canadian families can't afford to enrol their children in organised sport?

I still maintain my position that, for many British families, emigrating to Canada allows (allowed?) a one-time standard of living upgrade financed by relative differences in property prices & exchange rates. For all the arguments about "quality of life", that's entirely subjective and frankly, if you need to move continents to improve your quality of life, then something is wrong in your life anyway.
I read your response, put some thought into it, that yes my opinion is completely subjective but remarkably still true. Canada is a greater place of opportunity than the UK on average.

Have faith that your child nation will out grow you and be sure to take care of you beyond our days.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

Who needs to travel when you've got the internet?

1) I am a dual Can Brit, first born Canadian in my family.

2) Travelled to 10+ nations.

3) Lived in the UK for two years of my teenage life, travelled their 10+ times in past 33 years to visit a family of Brits that I am love and cherish very much. They seem to share my views on 'oppurtunity'

4) Gainfully employed as an International Freight Forwarder that communicates on a daily basis with agents, shippers, and vendors around the world.

5) When you find out, please tell me how many Canadians settled/admitted into the UK in 2010?
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:11 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Or, like I said earlier, moving from the UK to Canada (or USA) affords Brits a one-time cashing-in opportunity to buy a "better" lifestyle, which is all but impossible to do in the other direction. Many people just can't afford to move back.
Really? Impossible? I'd be curious to understand that mentality.

I'm currently looking to move back to Scotland and even with the "recession" have been told that it's not all doom and gloom.

I have a good job here in Canada and don't really want for anything financially. Thanks to my divorce years earlier, I've already liquidated everything, so I don't have burden of the major house asset selling issue that most others have. Figuring out a comparative job and salary in the UK and if I could land that job and salary seems viable and is currently in the works. From what I've gathered, cost of living is relative and shouldn't be a problem.

A better lifestyle isn't always about the amount of money you have or you think you have - unfortunately, I've had to learn that the hard way but at least I've learned from it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

p.s - I don't believe we are talking about 'TRAVEL', we have been discussing emigration for employment and lifestyle opportunity.

In response, Canadians and American do love to travel, many just prefer to spend the time in a car heading towards a mouse with big round ears where people still speak English or a version of it.
Old Jul 14th 2012, 5:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

There is a good argument fo Australia having similar opportunities for Brits to that available in Canada, we are very similar economies of scale and the Brits who do move to both nations are looking for work.

In the case of Spain it is mainly sun seeking wealthy folk not so much the average person or family. Not to mention the opportunities are shite in Spain, a language barrier, and their economy is blah.
But by your point earlier, more uk folks move to Spain (or France) than Canada. So by your own rules, they must be better, and have better opportunities than, Canada.

I forget your answer but what are the better opportunities again?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.