Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by feelbritish
ScottyXX is still in the honeymoon phase, give her time!
I think its just Guelph. I feel Guelph is like its lil own thing.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
You are paying less than $16.50 a month to heat your house? Is that during the current heatwave or averaged throughout the year? My modest, by North American standards, 3 bedroom house in a place without extremes of temperatures, costs around $250 a month in oil to heat averaged throughout the year. If you have a way to heat a house for <25% of that then do share will you?
Must be sharing with another 9 people or burning wood! Forgot to tell you that! My electricity is average $150/month and all my thermostats are on timers, I use energy saving bulbs and appliances!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottyxx
Probably since I am from Scotland I see the worst of the UK. Every "pub" that serves food where I am from is full of people who look you up and down and judge you, and then stare at you until you leave. Hence, I don't go out at home.

Also I noticed every time I would go out at home, there would be a bar fight, where someone was bottled, or knifed, or kicked, and Ive never once seen one here.

Sure its all do do with where I am from and Scotland as opposed to England. I am sure England is quite lovely.
Ok that would definitely explain why you think it is better here - again you cannot compare apples with oranges!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:55 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

My wood was about $300 a cord... didnt use much last winter though... still, add a couple of cords to my $200+ a month oil plan...
Old Jul 13th 2012, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

scottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the roughscottyxx is a jewel in the rough

Must be sharing with another 9 people or burning wood! Forgot to tell you that! My electricity is average $150/month and all my thermostats are on timers, I use energy saving bulbs and appliances!
I like the cold...and lots of blankets lol!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

I like the cold...and lots of blankets lol!
10 people under a blanket is really warm!
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

10 people under a blanket is really warm!
Maybe I should try that, get the heating bill down anymore! lol. I am 5 3 my boyfriend is 6 3 he keeps me warm
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:09 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
My wood was about $300 a cord... didnt use much last winter though... still, add a couple of cords to my $200+ a month oil plan...
Ours is $250 a cord, we went through 3 cords last year using only wood heat (except basement which was held at 16c with baseboar heat), our elec is $150 a month but that runs a pool filter all summer
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe I should try that, get the heating bill down anymore! lol. I am 5 3 my boyfriend is 6 3 he keeps me warm
Its a false economy. Kids are the usual side effect of that kind of thing, and they at WAY more expensive than any utility bill.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:11 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

I live near proper wilderness - it's got bears, cougars, coyotes and the like in it. I don't have to drive to it either as it's only 2 doors up the road.

I have to drive to every other ****ing thing though; so I guess it's all relative.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by iaink
Its a false economy. Kids are the usual side effect of that kind of thing, and they at WAY more expensive than any utility bill.
Hhaha i hope not, we have 2 kittens and thats too much! haha
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:01 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Probably since I am from Scotland I see the worst of the UK. Every "pub" that serves food where I am from is full of people who look you up and down and judge you, and then stare at you until you leave. Hence, I don't go out at home.

Also I noticed every time I would go out at home, there would be a bar fight, where someone was bottled, or knifed, or kicked, and Ive never once seen one here.

Sure its all do do with where I am from and Scotland as opposed to England. I am sure England is quite lovely.
Sorry, but you can't tarnish the whole of "Scotland" like that. I too am from Scotland, Edinburgh actually, and it's a fantastic city - nothing like you are describing. I also have family in the Scottish Borders, and again their areas are beautiful, great schools, family oriented etc.
No idea where you are from but reading a few of your posts on various threads, it is probably best that you left as you seem to have a real downer on the place.
Old Jul 13th 2012, 10:55 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Sorry, but you can't tarnish the whole of "Scotland" like that. I too am from Scotland, Glasgow actually, and it's a fantastic city - nothing like you are describing. I also have family in the Scottish Borders, and again their areas are beautiful, great schools, family oriented etc.
+1

I'd take Scotland over Canada
Old Jul 13th 2012, 11:40 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hawk13
+1

I'd take Scotland over Canada
Me twa!
Old Jul 14th 2012, 12:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rdashmore
Your lumberjacking comment is blatant stereotypical
and rude.
How so? I do know a lumberjack who moved here from Europe and then back because, for him, the opportunities were better in CH but surely most lumberjacks are better off in Canada than Europe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.