Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:08 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by iaink
Can you post some links to some feelgood stories about cats rescued from up trees or whatever then
Well, almost: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18425472
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

It will likely cost more, and you may have to find a new job...
My UK salary was 27,000 GBP.... a smidgen within the UK average income, and roughly the going rate for my occupation.

There aint many places you can move to and buy a house on that kind of salary.

And even if I'd moved to another place, I'd still be commuting back in to a city centre every day for work... it's not always that easy to get away from it.

Last edited by jericho; Jun 14th 2012 at 8:14 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:16 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
If you're suggesting that people decide to move to Canada on the basis of stuff they've only read in the papers, I think you need to give yourself a shake.

My view is that one of the reasons people chose to leave the UK is often due to the problem with ASBO crime. In addition to what they read in the papers, it's also what they see with their eyes.
You see, there's a difference.

But of course, this is only one reason. Other factors being the high cost of housing, lack of space, rising congestion etc etc are all common responses too. None of these are perceptions caused by the media- they're facts, that people get to experience for themselves.

Anyways, I sense that we're not going to agree...
We may agree on a few things

I would wager that most of the above is perception, not actual experience.

Canada, a country perceived to be full of happy smiling people who live simple lives with no fear, owning land enough for horses and a large house. All for a cheap price. Kids are kids and ever respectful to others, etc etc.

Most people believe what they read or watch. Or at least form perceptions in their mind.

In reality, Canada has crime, unruly kids, expensive housing, rising congestion, and lack of space.

The reality is, both countries have it all, and both countries have areas that do not. Most people choose Canada based on what they read or see when on holiday. That has nothing to do with true experience as such.

I don't need to shake myself. I read this forum and form an opinion which tends to lean toward many people choosing to move due to disillusionment brought on by either stagnancy in their lives, or false perceptions based on media. Granted some do live in terrible situations and are looking to escape. I would bet the majority who post on here are not in that situation but that's just a guess.

I would guess most who post on here haven't been involved or impacted directly with asbo crime, or wake up to glass all over the street. I would also guess those who can afford to move to canada for open space and limited congestion can also do the same in the uk.

The bottom line is, there's nothing wrong with living in either country. Both can provide a good life, education, opportunities, safe environment, space, etc.

And I repeat, if the media is impacting your thought process, take a step back, focus on your reality, and then reevaluate.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

A question for The OP, Alcat. You say you vilified the UK for so long, but you have a nice life where you are. Was the vilification based on daily experiences or mainly media driven? For example, was crime, immigration, violence, etc, a driect impact to you or mainly media stories?

Also how will your life be better on a day to day basis? What do you see?

Im actually Very curious because it could help form more direct, and helpfully realistic responses.

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 14th 2012 at 8:26 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 8:21 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
My UK salary was 27,000 GBP.... a smidgen within the UK average income, and roughly the going rate for my occupation.

There aint many places you can move to and buy a house on that kind of salary.

And even if I'd moved to another place, I'd still be commuting back in to a city centre every day for work... it's not always that easy to get away from it.
Thats $43k canadian, so perhaps true here to some extent, certainly in most of the "big" cities anyway.

Presumably if your work is the kind of thing done in a city center exclusively then thats true in Canada too?

Anyway, Canada is different, but is it REALLY better? Horses for courses I suspect.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:03 pm
Living in the Truman Show

gillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of lightgillyd65 is a glorious beacon of light

No, its different.
Where I lived in the UK I wasn't aware of my local town ever being firebombed by the local drug dealers due to rivalry between gangs, one of the drug leaders being shot dead at point blank range on his driveway in a so called 'leafy area', local students rioting in the street and setting fire to cars, numerous homeless people on the streets.....so yeh Canada is different.
The summer riots last year in the UK, whilst shocking, did not have an impact on my life as it didn't happen in the town where I lived (a case of 'oh well not in my back yard'), however the events in the first paragraph happened where we lived/live (hubby still there) in Canada. Having driven through some towns in Canada some areas look just as run down and rough as some of the bad areas in the UK. So yes, it all depends on the immediate vicinity of where you live, which country it is in makes not one jot of difference, there's good and bad in all. Trouble is the UK is perceived to be all chavs, hoodies, street crime, riots, drunken yobs, murders etc etc whilst Canada is perceived to be safe, polite, clean, environmentally friendly and a near to perfect place to live.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:09 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway, Canada is different, but is it REALLY better?
No. Next question?
Old Jun 14th 2012, 10:18 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

I was just about to say, one-word answer to this question. But it would help if the OP had some idea of where they wanted to move in Canada.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I was just about to say, one-word answer to this question. But it would help if the OP had some idea of where they wanted to move in Canada.
I doubt it. The answer's the same wherever. Don't get me wrong, I like (or rather have liked) Canada. But the title question has a straightforward answer. No.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:19 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Does one really have to be "better" than the other? I like one beer, my brother likes another and my father a third. None of us is wrong, we just appreciate or like different things.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:21 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Does one really have to be "better" than the other? I like one beer, my brother likes another and my father a third. None of us is wrong, we just appreciate or like different things.
No, it doesn't. And it isn't. Just trying to answer the OP's question.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:37 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
No. Next question?
+1 No, it's different, not better, not worse.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:04 am
Forum Regular

Lvh76 is on a distinguished road

I agree with most of the posts saying that it's different but not necessarily better. I think it all depends on your circumstances. We've been here for 3 weeks and so obviously I still have my rose tinted specs on. For us as a family (two kids aged 3 and 1) it was a good move because back in the UK my OH commuted from Newbury to London every day and missed out on so much with the kids. In Toronto we are able to afford to live within 30 mins commute of the Financial District resulting in hubby being around for breakfast and bath time for the kids. It makes a world of difference to us. We had a very nice life in the UK but we fancied a change and the kids were at the right age to make such a huge move. My home is where my husband and kids are so it doesn't matter where in the world we live. Grass is never greener just different.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:22 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's much better...........................than Glasgow. Almost anywhere is.

Last edited by Auld Yin; Jun 15th 2012 at 1:47 am.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Yes, it's much better...........................than Glasgow. Almost anywhere is.
Exactly. So why bother with Canada?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.