Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it REALLY much better????

Is it REALLY much better????

Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:52 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it REALLY much better????

Originally Posted by lf1
To the OP, this is a really difficult question to answer as we all experience our lifes in different ways. I am moving back to the UK after being in Canada for over 30 years, and while I have had a nice life here, there are so many things that I miss about living in the UK. The biggies for me have always been sense of humour, architecture, landscape and the people. These things don't put food on the table, so I think they may a lower ranking depending upon circumstances and at what stage in life you are at.

My decision to move back has been based on many trips to the UK and asking myself these two questions:

Q. If money were no object, where would I live?
A. UK. You could offer me a mansion on some tropical island and it wouldn't speak to me in the same way as wee but n' ben in Scotland does.

Q. If I had one year to live what would I do with my time:
A. Everything that I want to do and see is in the UK and Europe. There is nothing in NA on my bucket list.
wee but n' ben in the Highlands
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:35 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Dave n Ailsa
Not my thread, and I've been interogated enough thanks, lol.
Even so, a member since Feb 2007!!
Why do they make it so hard for decent, hard working folk to get in? I'm just back from a month, working in Toronto. I regularly traveled along Finch and Steeles Ave between the 400 and 404. The sights you see? Are they Canada's mettle or is there a two tier system, one of which is for countries like the UK?
It would appear that they are making it way too difficult to emigrate to Canada from the UK if someone is waiting 3 years or more.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:45 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Why do they make it so hard for decent, hard working folk to get in?
Cos immigration is here to serve the canadian economy. There are plenty of hard working decent people here already, what we need is skills that are not available locally Im afraid...

Your not wrong though, the system needs to move much faster.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 14th 2012 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:57 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Cos immigration is here to serve the canadian economy. There are plenty of hard working decent people here already, what we need is skills that are not available locally Im afraid...

Your not wrong though, the system need to move much faster.
I agree, the system needs to move much more quickly to fill any gaps needed at that time. With that, however, should be a much more stringent and strict immigration process, for the most part.

Maybe put a process in place whereby provisional PR can be granted for FSW but they can only activate it once they have a job. They can come live as visitors, not be entitled to any benefit (medical, child tax, etc) until they're working.

Maybe localise the shortlisted FSW jobs so a person whos job is sought after in Yellowknife doesn't move to Vancouver looking for work where the job is not needed, for example.

I'm full of shit ideas today

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 14th 2012 at 5:02 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 5:52 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Maybe put a process in place whereby provisional PR can be granted for FSW but they can only activate it once they have a job. They can come live as visitors, not be entitled to any benefit (medical, child tax, etc) until they're working.
I think they have, you come on a work permit, the jobs found it’s an already identified skill shortage simply by not being able to fill it domestically..

You choose to stay move to PR and they have habit of giving out open ended work permits, once the application is in process
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
I think they have, you come on a work permit, the jobs found it’s an already identified skill shortage simply by not being able to fill it domestically..

You choose to stay move to PR and they have habit of giving out open ended work permits, once the application is in process
Yep, although i'm talking FSW. It seems many come over and then struggle to find work in that field even though it's on a shortage list, possibly because they choose to live somewhere that doesn't have shortage issues, and possibly saturated. Allow people to apply for FSW without a job offer, leading to immediate PR, but only allow them to move to the areas with that shortage for a minimum period of time (12 months or so).

Who knows.

Personally, i think the government should concentrate on reintegrating the ably unemployed into work by incentive and/or training to minimise shortages.

Obviously that's easier said than done.

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 14th 2012 at 6:14 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:06 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alcat2010
So, having one of those moments...

What my wife and I have/could potentially have here in the uk, in the cold light of day is.... pretty ok

We are pursuing a life in Canada. (for all the reasons most people emigrate for....) i.e. "cos its better!"

But will it really be that much better and worth all the years of stress... and money ??

What we want from Canada is to secure good careers, give ourselves and our kids a nice house, in a nice part of town, access to the outdoors and to a city etc...

But we actually have that HERE ! And its just not 'enough'...

So why are we not satisfied? Is it because we have been villifying this place so much over the years we rarely see the good?
Am I the only one in the history of immigration that is chasing something that doesnt exist?

To the people with the experience and hindsight....

HOW do I get these rose tinted glasses off and dampen the adventurous feeling that 'something out there is better' ?!
Stop reading the papers and watching the news and listening to people think that England has gone to the dogs, if you have a pretty good life and are generally happy, stay where you are. UNLESS you feel that your life will be unfulfilled if you don't give it a go.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:12 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Stop reading the papers and watching the news and listening to people think that England has gone to the dogs, if you have a pretty good life and are generally happy, stay where you are. UNLESS you feel that your life will be unfulfilled if you don't give it a go.
I agree with limiting media exposure. I did that in the UK and do that in Canada. I rarely watch the news or read the papers and i feel much better for it (not that i believed some of the hyperbole they spouted anyway).

That's very good advice Piff Poff, and something many people on here should try before they make the effort of emigrating. Emerse yourself in YOUR life, not the media's or other peoples.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Emerse yourself in YOUR life, not the media's or other peoples.
Amen, another Karma worthy post goes begging for want of spreading some love around...
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:24 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Stop reading the papers and watching the news
That's certainly an interesting perspective....

Although I never really understood this view that the press are responsible for the whole "England has gone to the dogs" mentality. You do realise they dont simply make those stories up, dont you?

Here's a story, dated today, taken from the BBC website:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england...ester-18446611

By not reporting it, what would the advantage be?
Is it not newsworthy that a 14yr old is up for murder?? Or are you just of the opinion that ignorance is bliss?

Here's another one, also from today:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-18443690

I'm not quite what you feel it would achieve by the press ignoring incidents like these....
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:33 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
I'm not quite what you feel it would achieve by the press ignoring incidents like these....
Nobody's suggesting the press should stop reporting, but I choose not to read articles like those - they're tragic, terrible incidents for those involved and having empathy is one thing, but do I need to know on a daily basis intimate details of all the murders, crime and problems in the world? Nope.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:36 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Although I never really understood this view that the press are responsible for the whole "England has gone to the dogs" mentality. You do realise they dont simply make those stories up, dont you?

Is it not newsworthy that a 14yr old is up for murder?? Or are you just of the opinion that ignorance is bliss?

The level of sensationalism is certainly about average in the UK press, and yes, there has been some track record of making stuff up.

For me the lesson is to judge your life based on YOUR life, not what you read about others. No one is saying the media should not be reporting stuff, it just seems to me that life is more pleasant and I have more faith in my fellow man if I dont worry about all the bad crazy stuff that goes on, ultimately it seldom if ever impacts my own day to day life. I still read the news online, I just dont bother with celebrity fluff and gory details any more.

Bottom line is that the news is usually pretty depressing, its rare that you read something that raises your expectations for humanity. The fact that a 14 year old is up for murder is a tragedy for all concerned, but does it relate to my life and that of my family? No, not one bit. Couldnt care less. If I lived in that neighbourhood, then yes it would, but I would hear about it locally no doubt, no need to trawl the BBC news to find out.

Last edited by iaink; Jun 14th 2012 at 6:46 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:37 pm
Beep

For the vast majority, what do they achieve by reading such incidents? It's sad for the family of the victims and offenders but generally inconsequential to most readers. The same can be said of reports on benefit scroungers, asbo kids, or immigrant saturation.

People's perceptions are seemingly swayed by media. Whether that be the extraordinary, god like, life of celebrities or the fact that immigrants, asbo culture, and benefit scroungers are sending the country to hell.

I personally feel much better worrying about my real life rather than have unnecessary issues on my mind clouding my judgement and perception.

Its a shame sex, celebrity, and doom and gloom bring in more money over a nice balanced view.

Last edited by el_richo; Jun 14th 2012 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Isnt the same true of all news? Do we need to know about the MP expense scandal for instance? Do we need to know about civil war in Syria? It's of no consequence to me or you, so why are journalists bothering?

To suggest people should only be concerned about news that directly effects them seems pretty closed minded IMO.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:58 pm
Beep

Isnt the same true of all news? Do we need to know about the MP expense scandal for instance? Do we need to know about civil war in Syria? It's of no consequence to me or you, so why are journalists bothering?

To suggest people should only be concerned about news that directly effects them seems pretty closed minded IMO.
By all means report issues around the world and locally. By all means read and watch with an open mind. But if my life was being impacted due to changes in perception brought on by issues that in reality have no direct influence, I'd limit my exposure and recalibrate for a while. I'm not saying this is an issue for the OP mind you.

Keeping fit is great. If its physically hindering your daily life, cut back or take time out to recover. I think it's no different physically or emotionally.

If you take time out and find your life is still no different and your negativity is still at an uncomfortable level, THEN reevaluate.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.