Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in Canada?

Is it really better in Canada?

Old Oct 5th 2010, 11:11 pm
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Is it really better in Canada?

For me, personally property isnt really an issue when it comes to immigrating to canada, I'm 23 so my first or second real jobs are more than likely going to be the ones I get in Canada.

I think the big deal for me is the culture, In Canada theres a can do attitude that makes you feel like you can do anything.

When I was in canada my friends and I (film majors) made films for fun and most of our cast was made up of people we just asked randomly (they tended to live in our accomodation) there was never really any pursauding, you could always find someone who was willing to give acting or filming (or anything) a go and some people were supprised, one of the best actors I've ever met was a computer science major.

In the UK, even though I was on a film course we never made films outside of class because people were more concerned with drinking and you'd struggle to find actors for your projects because even if you did pursaude people to take part, there was a good chance they'd drop out.

The Canadians I met were always willing to try new things and were always happy to help out a friend, hell they'd help out people they barely knew.

Living in canada, especially a city like Regina is a nightmare without a car, nothing is ever in walking distance but I never really had any problems because there was usually someone who was kind enough to give me a ride somewhere and if they couldnt some would just lend us their car.

Just a note, in saskatchewan the car is insured not the driver, its kind of crazy but if theres a crash the driver isnt liable, the car itself is, the driver will pay whatever they have to but it means anyone can drive anyones car its perfectly legal.

The other issue for me was alcohol, the attitude to it is completely different, even with students who tend to be bigger drinkers. In the UK (especially as a student) you go out drinking every night (unless you have work to do), you drink a lot and then you go to a night club and dont get in till 4am.

In Canada drinking mainly takes place on the weekend, you might go to a bar or two (occasionally a night club, but most people I knew didnt) but more often than not its a house party and during the week people dont really drink, they might go out for a meal or for wings and have a couple of drinks with it but you tend not to get so drunk your hung over the next morning.

Thats not to say canadians arent big drinkers, they are in fact some of the heaviest drinkers I've met are Canadian but its not all the time and they know how to have fun and be perfectly sober, something brits dont.

On a personal note I just found that I had way more in common with Canadian culture than I did with british culture and I've always, always wanted to live abroad, canada just makes sense to me.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

from_london is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cherry Jam
Hi everyone,

I came accross this thread posted 5 years ago and wondered whether it is still relevant in 2010.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...+towns,+canada

I have quoted two posts here for your convenience, but as you will see, almost the entire thread paints a picture of [I]disappointment/disillusionment[I] with Canada once the "honeymoon" is over.

How has Canada changed/improved in the last five years?
Are we not simply romanticizing about a dream country with lots of opportunities and friendly, sophisticated citizens?
Is Canada still "behind" the UK as the thread suggests?

Looking forward to your views on this matter.

Cherry Jam

Quote:
"Feb 26th 2005, 3:58 pm,
Tom Masters
However, today I think the tables have turned a bit. It can be very difficult to find work here and when you do find a job, you hold on to it as there aren't many others about. Holiday time isn't as good as the UK either. It took my husband 7 months to find a reasonable job in his field (chartered accountant). This was the first time he had ever been unemployed so that was a shock to the system. In the UK he had no problem finding decent work.

The health system is ok although it is very difficult to find a family doctor over here. Education is somewhat behind the UK academically, in my opinion (elementary level), although it is still fairly decent and kids here often go on to university etc. and go into their chosen field. As far as shopping/food is concerned, I think there is much more variety in the UK although you do adjust.
"

Quote:

Feb 26th 2005, 5:01 pm
Julius smith
Location: Now in West London, but one day soon in Vancouver.....!

"funny how as the time comes nearer to leaving, suddenly all these people turn up as if from hiding, to give me advice why i shouldnt go back to the uk! how i should've waited till the summer, bought a house, moved to another community....but, would that change how lifeless the place seems to be? how everyone seems to be a in ahurry but get nowhere, how suddenly everyone rushes around at weekends trying to fit everything in, then go back to the grind of work work work, how most of the drivers (men and women) in toronto at least, are absolute maniacs (to put it in a family-friendly way!), how pointless existence seems to be here? no, it wont change all that, so thats why i am glad we made the decision to bale out. canada may be friendly, but all we saw here were big cars, bigger houses, bigger mortgages, longer hours at work to pay for them and nothing more. as someone said on one of these forums, they may be friendly, but there is SOMETHING missing somewhere..... "
The grass is never green on the other side of the fence.
Same apply with Canada. In my personal opinion, the UK offers much more to your life as a whole than in Canada: culture, people are more polite, people are more open-minded (specially towards minority something). People here think that by helping other people of being part of a church, this guarantees a place in 'heaven'. I think other stuff they do here is worse and the helping thing is pure lip service. Look what they did in Alberta with the native children in 1960s...!
I know the current situation in the UK is not that great, but being part of the family and your roots help a lot if you have a family. If it is just temporary, no problem to see Canada a place to improve your snow sports skills. But do not count with the health system here....... just go back home and enjoy the NHS!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:01 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

People here think that by helping other people of being part of a church, this guarantees a place in 'heaven'. I think other stuff they do here is worse and the helping thing is pure lip service. Look what they did in Alberta with the native children in 1960s...!

What a load of meaningless, generalizing nonsense.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:29 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
People here think that by helping other people of being part of a church, this guarantees a place in 'heaven'. I think other stuff they do here is worse and the helping thing is pure lip service. Look what they did in Alberta with the native children in 1960s...!

And look at what the UK did when it sent all those kids off to OZ & Canada in the early 1900s-1940s, in some cases lying to their parents about where they were going, in many cases to lives of abuse.

But anyway.

Oh Come on Auld. Didn't you get the memo? No matter where you are in Canada, it's all the same.
Old Dec 20th 2010, 8:55 pm
Forum Regular

edwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant futureedwinslad has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
And look at what the UK did when it sent all those kids off to OZ & Canada in the early 1900s-1940s, in some cases lying to their parents about where they were going, in many cases to lives of abuse.

But anyway.

Oh Come on Auld. Didn't you get the memo? No matter where you are in Canada, it's all the same.
Over 100,000 were sent here as well!
Old Dec 20th 2010, 11:20 pm
Just Joined

from_london is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Auld Yin

Oopsie, sorry to people not part of this quote.