Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in Canada?

Is it really better in Canada?

Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in Canada?

Originally Posted by The Aviator
That is however your experience only, as much as perhaps you would like to think so, it does not mean it applies to all. We find it much cheaper than many other countries.
But what would one's circumstances in the UK have to be in order to find life to be cheaper in Vancouver? Perhaps if one were renting in central London and wanted to rent in Vancouver, but that's a tiny proportion of the population of the UK.
Old Sep 27th 2010, 6:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
But what would one's circumstances in the UK have to be in order to find life to be cheaper in Vancouver? Perhaps if one were renting in central London and wanted to rent in Vancouver, but that's a tiny proportion of the population of the UK.
As you suggest, it is subjective to our past experiences. Having spent time in many part of the world, I find the general cost of living lower where we live. I am not factoring in accommodation, merely day to day living expensed and consumer goods.
Old Sep 28th 2010, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

crusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud ofcrusheduk has much to be proud of

This is the key...everyones experiences are different. Make your own mind up, do the grunt work before moving out and take responsibilty. Do not get swayed by someone else's experience good or bad.

Ah, Julius Smith. He still pops his head in from time to time.

As I recall he came, landed a decent job, didnt really settle (family wasnt super happy I think) moved back to the UK, and now his kids are in the last few years of school in the UK. He almost immediately wanted to return to Canada, but for now hes holding on for the kids sake.

Tom I seem to recall had a hard time landing a teaching job, but got there in the end?

Is Canada better? For some yes, for some no. There really is only one way to find out if it will be for you, and its not entirely without some risk, and it really takes a few years to come to any lasting conclusions. It also depends on what type of life you left behind too I think. If you have a comfortable life in the UK with a decent wage then there is less to gain. I think the middle classes probably have a better time of it here as they can afford to live in "nicer" places. Sweeping generalisations though.

I see I am there saying "Canada without a reasonable income would not be much fun, but having said that wild horses would not drag me back to the dirty unfriendly "me first" crowded overpriced UK now." And while I still agree with the first part, five years later I dont see the UK as all that bad now. There are certainly some very nice bits, but Im not sure I could afford to live in them!

Last edited by crusheduk; Sep 28th 2010 at 2:04 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I think the issue is population density.

Canada = 33 million people
Europe = 730 million people

Canada is practically the same size as all of continental Europe.

Europe has the population density to support an intricate network of transportation. Canada does not.

Originally Posted by tioram
I get your point re the size of Canada but that's a poor example. It's not at all uncommon to order goods from around Europe and expect fast, efficient and affordable delivery. Canada is one country, it should be easier.
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:29 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
depends where in Vancouver though. There ' s a big difference from the West Side to Abbotsford
Old Sep 30th 2010, 11:29 pm

Originally Posted by Seneca21
Cherry Jam

Is it really better in Canada? The key thing here is why you are going there. Are you leaving the UK and going to Canada because of push or pull factors? If both then which one more so?

The answer you seek lurks within this question!
Old Oct 1st 2010, 6:59 am
Forum Regular

edmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of lightedmontron is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dboy
its much sunnier there and you have Kangeroos.
Much of what I read on here about Canada (the good and the bad stuff) also applies to Australia, so yes even if life is better in Canada it's probably best in Australia...
Old Oct 1st 2010, 7:01 am

Originally Posted by edmontron
Much of what I read on here about Canada (the good and the bad stuff) also applies to Australia, so yes even if life is better in Canada it's probably best in Australia...
other than being in the middle of bloody nowhere....having lived in south florida, I can safely say that life is not all sunshine and lolipops. I will take BC thanks
Old Oct 1st 2010, 3:57 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

no, it's not.
Old Oct 1st 2010, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

scotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura aboutscotty1974 has a spectacular aura about

with regards the cost of living in Canada, we live in Dublin and when we visited Toronto in the summer we found everything to be fairly similarly priced give or take a few items - gasoline is far cheaper in Canada though.

With the wages we earn here and what we'd hope to be earning in Toronto after maybe 12-24 months, it would be similar
We're under no illusions that we're suddenly going to be "rich" in Canada
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 12:03 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

I have a couple of points to make.

1. population density. New Brunswick is 3/4 the size of England. Population NB 750,000, Population of England 50 Million (ish).

2. We have found that food is expensive in Canada, housing and motoring cheaper (on the whole). We have more things (cars, chainsaw, snow shoes, cross country skis etc...) but we dont feel richer than we did in the UK.

We definitely feel less stressed than the UK. (does that make it three points?
Old Oct 2nd 2010, 11:42 pm
Forum Regular

bobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura aboutbobthedog has a spectacular aura about

Manitoba is 2.5 times the size of the UK with a pop of 1.5 million.

That space thing is a big part of it. The freedom to do as you choose without worry of the neighbours taking offence is a big deal to me. I still think things are, in general, cheaper here, and even if they weren't it wouldn't matter as long as I can afford to live.

Is it really better? You are damned right it is!
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 9:14 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

LMAO You can keep Australia thanks, I love the seasons here
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:24 am
Forum Regular

stubby42 is an unknown quantity at this point

timmies.

nufff said.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 3:55 am
BE Forum Addict

London Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond reputeLondon Mike has a reputation beyond repute

Basically, it's different. It's better, depending on how you view life, or worse depending on how you view life. Canada is no Shangri La.

We've been in Toronto for 3 months, have 2 small kids, and so far our quality of life has improved (better schools, better neighbourhood, less stress) than where we were in London (but I hasten to add we were in E17 not Crouch End!). However, our spending power has decreased quite a bit. That's mainly down to the fact that the good lady has yet to find a job and we're renting at the moment - in a good, but more pricey district. But, we wanted to spend more time as a family, have a good sense of community and a new start so for our view of life we're happy to be worse off financially right now.

Having said that, had Skype call on Sat with old colleague and it looks like my wife would probably have been made redundant where she worked this year (public sector) so the last point is debatable!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.