Reload this Page >

Reality of Job Hunting in BC

Reality of Job Hunting in BC

Old Oct 25th 2019, 9:42 am
Just Joined

Mark109 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Reality of Job Hunting in BC

Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are currently gathering all documentation required to apply for the Express Entry Visa. We will be using my wife as the lead applicant purely because she has a degree and also 5+ years experience in her role which is NOC 'A'. I am a Project Manager within the construction industry which is NOC '0' but I do not have a degree as I started my career as an apprentice, therefore, we are worried my application wouldn't be taken seriously because in Canada they expect someone with a degree minimum to fulfill the role.

What I would like to know is what can I expect for job hunting in BC (Vancouver area preferably), I currently work for a big american firm which has offices all over the world which can't look bad on my CV/resume right? Will the fact that I don't have a degree reduce my chances massively? I am willing to drop down to a less experienced role (Assistant, Junior PM) if that is what is required. I have friends who work in Vancouver and Whistler as Project Engineers and Quantity Surveyors but they were in the right place, right time so cant offer much advice on what the reality is for skilled foreign workers trying to find work in BC.

Is there anyone on here who can shed some light, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks
Old Oct 25th 2019, 4:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reality of Job Hunting in BC

Really depends on the employer, though experience can often outweigh having a degree. Downside of this is employers like to see experience working in Canada, so that would likely be the bigger hurdle. However, the advantage of the Resume format is you can sell yourself more with a detailed professional profile on the first page and put as much information as you want about working at each company. This can sometimes sway employers to give someone a chance who they wouldn't normally consider purely from an academic standpoint.
Old Oct 25th 2019, 9:50 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mark109 View Post
Hi Everyone,

My wife and I are currently gathering all documentation required to apply for the Express Entry Visa. We will be using my wife as the lead applicant purely because she has a degree and also 5+ years experience in her role which is NOC 'A'. I am a Project Manager within the construction industry which is NOC '0' but I do not have a degree as I started my career as an apprentice, therefore, we are worried my application wouldn't be taken seriously because in Canada they expect someone with a degree minimum to fulfill the role.

What I would like to know is what can I expect for job hunting in BC (Vancouver area preferably), I currently work for a big american firm which has offices all over the world which can't look bad on my CV/resume right? Will the fact that I don't have a degree reduce my chances massively? I am willing to drop down to a less experienced role (Assistant, Junior PM) if that is what is required. I have friends who work in Vancouver and Whistler as Project Engineers and Quantity Surveyors but they were in the right place, right time so cant offer much advice on what the reality is for skilled foreign workers trying to find work in BC.

Is there anyone on here who can shed some light, it will be much appreciated.

Thanks
im a director in a large construction company..i always look at experience first..education is secondary ..and dependent on your level of experience education can sometimes be irrelevant..taking a drop down to a less experienced role is the wrong move IMO
Old Oct 25th 2019, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
im a director in a large construction company..i always look at experience first..education is secondary ..and dependent on your level of experience education can sometimes be irrelevant..taking a drop down to a less experienced role is the wrong move IMO
I agree with this. I am a supplier to the construction industry and I deal with a lot of project managers, most seem to have come from apprenticeship backgrounds and not from degrees. Know your worth and sell yourself based on your experience accordingly.
Old Oct 26th 2019, 8:33 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey View Post
Great, when do I start
Old Oct 26th 2019, 8:34 am
Just Joined

Thanks for the comments so far guys, it seems like I just need to put myself out there, sell myself the best I can.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:36 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

In my experience of job hunting in both countries I've found that accreditation is more emphasized in Canada. I don't think that's a good thing but that's what I've found.
Old Oct 28th 2019, 2:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jandro View Post
In my experience of job hunting in both countries I've found that accreditation is more emphasized in Canada. I don't think that's a good thing but that's what I've found.
Canada does love certificates, even in lower skill jobs employers can become obsessed with certificates.

Old Oct 28th 2019, 9:11 pm
Forum Regular

Cheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond reputeCheltonian has a reputation beyond repute

When i first came to Canada i found it difficult to find a job despite having been a journeyman machinist of 25 years in the uk, i soon found out its not what you know its who you know. You need to get out and socialize as much as possible, play sports, go to sports games , the pub, crib nights, curling, lawn bowls, volunteer work, anything to get your face known around town and you will be surprised, jobs will pop up from the most unexpected places and people, also never turn down a job even if its only a few hours. As for qualifications and certificates, i have never been asked to to show anything to any of my employers but i think that is mainly because most of my jobs were obtained by word of mouth.