Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Realising a dream...

Realising a dream...

Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:05 pm
Just Joined

1ManRiot is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Realising a dream...

I've dreamt of living in BC for years and years and now I believe that in the next 12-24 months I will finally be in a position to realise it.

The problem is, every time I start to look into it I'm completely overwhelmed by the wealth of information and various ways and means of doing it.

In summary, I want to:
-Live there forever
-Work there on the railway/SkyTrain, or in the power distribution sector

It seems that these occupational areas are desirable there:
http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/...ons.aspx?val=7

I plan to do it alone, as a single man who is 29. I currently work in electrical engineering/tech support on the railway. I'm not aware of any family in Canada, though it is a possibility I have a distant relative of some sort.

Having read a couple of the wikis, I suspect a lot of my vocational qualifications aren't immediately recognised in Canada. I'm working towards a full degree but that's still some way off yet.

I guess what I'm asking is where do I start? How do I go from a where I am now to getting the ball rolling?

All help is appreciated.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:16 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realising a dream...

If you can go over in the next year, then initially an IEC (working holiday visa) would be a good place to start. It's an open work permit valid for a year, with a 2nd year possible provided you have your application logged with CIC before your 31st birthday.

Once you are over here, you could hunt around and secure yourself a permanent position and if your employers are willing, can apply for Provincial Nomination (PNP), once that is obtained you can get a temporary work permit (TWP) which will be valid (provided you remain with the same company) until your PR is secured.

If you are hoping to go within the next 12 months, you had better be quick as the 3rd set of IEC visa's is about to go up for grabs.

If you can't then say so and someone will come up with alternatives for you.
Old Mar 4th 2013, 8:39 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realising a dream...

transmission & distribution is booming right now due to the amount of work BC Hydro has going on. Start with them and also look at their subcontractors (Hatch, AMEC, SNC Lavalin). There is a shortage of workers in this area...can't advise you on quals etc. though, but worth a try. They don't just need engineers, also cad techs, assistants, construction people, contracts etc. etc. Agree if you came out on an IEC it would be the easiest.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Mar 4th 2013 at 8:41 pm.