Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Real Estate commission....is it negotiable?

Real Estate commission....is it negotiable?

Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:04 am
BE Enthusiast

Ontheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud ofOntheboatout has much to be proud of
Default Re: Real Estate commission....is it negotiable?

No, I'm serious. An agent take the time (any idea how busy an agent is?) to take her clients to a FSBO without a fee agreement? To lose a buyer to no commission? Very fishy.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:39 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
No, I'm serious. An agent take the time (any idea how busy an agent is?) to take her clients to a FSBO without a fee agreement? To lose a buyer to no commission? Very fishy.
Perhaps it would be wise to know the facts before speculating on the motives of an agent.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 3:40 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

My agent took me to see a few FSBO houses. Had I bought one we would have talked about fees but she didn't expect me to sign on the dotted line first. As a buyers agent she was willing to take me to see any property I was interested in regardless of who was selling it and I would have expected no less.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Many FSBO do not entertain Realtors, whether bringing a prospective buyer or not. I would not own at least a couple of my properties had I turned up with a Realtor.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

Originally Posted by destinationnovascotia
My agent took me to see a few FSBO houses. Had I bought one we would have talked about fees but she didn't expect me to sign on the dotted line first. As a buyers agent she was willing to take me to see any property I was interested in regardless of who was selling it and I would have expected no less.
Had you bought one, you instead of the seller would have been paying the fee, unless a fee agreement had been established between the seller and your Realtor. Whilst a property not FSBO would have the seller paying all the fees.
It's selling season now and properties are starting to move, but many FSBO are hanging around, some from last year.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 5:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by oldbag
An update for anyone interested....
We have decided to list the house ourselves using one of the websites mentioned; I have spoken to both real estate agents this morning, thanking them for their help and explaining our decision. They were both fine.....one has offered as much help as we need.....as and when any offers are made she will go through the paperwork with us and make sure everything is hunky-dory (at no cost to her!).....how lovely is that! This is the one we would have gone to had we gone through and agent. They have also both asked if they may bring interested parties (as they have several, whch is what we suspected)....to which we have glady agreed. Obviously if someone they introduce then buys, we will pay a commission of 2.5%......GREAT! Everyone is happy.

The cost of listing through www.bytheowner.com is $300 + GST (5%)!!
Great deal! Glad you worked out a satisfactory solution.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:26 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she bought it for herself through a friend because she knew you had seriously underpriced. Why didn't she at least try to get a Fee Agreement/Customer Status Acknowledgement form signed? Very suspicious.

I think you misunderstand.......or maybe I didn't explain. The real estate agent has NOT bought my house. The offer has come from a couple who drove by and saw the BytheOwner sign on the front lawn.
What I was saying was that one of the agents in town has been very helpful and offered advice along the way, as well as bringing one or two clients to view.......neither of which, it turned out, has expressed interest because they don't like the town! What a surprise....
We had agreed to allow either or both agents to bring clients if they wished, and we were all happy with this arrangement.

As to underpricing........we put it on the market at the price given us by both agents.
I do seriously worry about your attitude!

Last edited by Jay Bird; Apr 20th 2008 at 11:32 am.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:30 am
itchy feet again!

Jay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond reputeJay Bird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paradisefound
Great deal! Glad you worked out a satisfactory solution.

Please see my reply to Outontheboat; as you have attached your reply to a much earlier post, it would appear you and he have both misunderstood. I obviously had not made this clear in yesterday's post......

...........the offer has not come from an agent or one of her clients.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oldbag
Please see my reply to Outontheboat; as you have attached your reply to a much earlier post, it would appear you and he have both misunderstood. I obviously had not made this clear in yesterday's post......

...........the offer has not come from an agent or one of her clients.
FWIW I thought yesterdays post was pretty clear it's also pretty clear the Ontheboatout is just looking for anyway to stir things up.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:42 am
itchy feet again!

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
FWIW I thought yesterdays post was pretty clear it's also pretty clear the Ontheboatout is just looking for anyway to stir things up.

Thank you Elaine.............I thought I'd made it clear as well, and sadly I have to agree. Dog - bone are two words that spring to mind!
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:53 am
itchy feet again!

To further explain because you obviously don't read things through properly..............there was a "fee agreement"...if the agent brought a client who subsequently bought the house a commission (mutually arrived at) would have been paid. I have already explained this in an earlier post, and will not go through it all again just for your benefit.
I would suggest you hone and develop your reading skills, especially in view of your chosen profession, what with all that small print.

Seems to me you are just determined to start yet another argument.......either that or you're trying to be funny.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:55 am
itchy feet again!

Many FSBO do not entertain Realtors, whether bringing a prospective buyer or not. I would not own at least a couple of my properties had I turned up with a Realtor.

This FSBO did entertain one of the local realtors because neither of us is beyond such pettyness.......this is a small town where it really is best to try to get along with everyone.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Had you bought one, you instead of the seller would have been paying the fee, unless a fee agreement had been established between the seller and your Realtor. Whilst a property not FSBO would have the seller paying all the fees.
It's selling season now and properties are starting to move, but many FSBO are hanging around, some from last year.
I understand that of course. If it had been the right house that would have been a minor detail. In reality though, a buyer reflects that in the offer price.
Old Apr 20th 2008, 11:19 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
It was entirely clear to me as well. Ontheboatout clearly isn't very bright.
Old Apr 21st 2008, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

I think it must be me who is not that bright. I can't follow some conversations these days. Must be night duty, I'll look again in the morning.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.