Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ready for the Storm....

Ready for the Storm....

Old Dec 13th 2008, 8:04 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ready for the Storm....

Originally Posted by tinytears
Pardon my ignorance and please don't ask me to do a search because I haven't the patience tonight (X factor final) but what is a block heater?

Block heaters are not needed/used in some parts of the country. They are not needed in the Toronto region for example and would not be standard installation there.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 8:51 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brianscottie43
Block heaters are not needed/used in some parts of the country. They are not needed in the Toronto region for example and would not be standard installation there.
I would rather have one than not need it. I know most of my Canadian friends in the GTA have block heaters on their vehicles, just in case.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 9:24 pm
Banned

Brownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond reputeBrownstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
Rich
When it below -20 outside and we have a outside garage that isnt part of the house, then i'm advised by the locals to plug it in, i'm going off what the locals say, will be going down to -40 over the next couple of days and if my car starts first time im happy.

I would say the locals know what they are talking about
Agree, unless its a heated garage. Some friends of ours had frozen and exploding cans of pop in their unheated garage last winter.

Used teh block heater last night, car started almost immediately in -28 temps this morning and was up to running temp quicker than normal if I don't use it
Old Dec 14th 2008, 3:41 am

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

No Iank yet?
You cannot have a thread that mentions block heaters without him.....
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:18 pm
Forum Regular

Stuart8472 is an unknown quantity at this point

What all should I be looking at purchasing as far as winter clothes go?

I dont own a hat, gloves, scarf or jacket as it stands!!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:28 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stuart8472
What all should I be looking at purchasing as far as winter clothes go?

I dont own a hat, gloves, scarf or jacket as it stands!!
All of the above. www.marks.com
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Our car, an 8-year old Pontiac Shitfire, doesn't have a block heater and has never been parked in a garage. It has never failed to start first time.

I don't see the need for a block heater in the GTA and I don't know of anyone around here that has one.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:31 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
All of the above. www.marks.com
My brother has been winding me up that people go to work in ski outfits complete with snow boots etc...

I take it i'll be ok with a good gore-tex jacket and a set of gloves on?
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:49 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My brother has been winding me up that people go to work in ski outfits complete with snow boots etc...

You might want a pair of snow boots or other stout boots and leave a pair of shoes at work to wear inside. Aside from that a decent jacket (doesn't neccessarily have to be goretex, gloves and a hat are all that is required. The hat is important, especially for those of us getting a little thin on top!
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:54 pm

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

erm depends where you are going
You know they say that fashion is out of the window here in canada

Thermals are my new love in life....do i care if i look sexy...................erm NO..i am warm

At -30 outside sod the fashion until it warms up
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:56 pm

It's not a wind-up. Since Souvette started to commute by bus, she has been leaving the house dressed for the Arctic. She changes when she gets to the office. That is not unusual.

She looks quite the picture. Asterix the Gaul toque, fur coat and snow boots, plus bright red mittens. That combo attracts zero comments or funny looks.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

So I should honestly be thinking about going to work in something other than shoes? Its common for people to turn up with snow boots on?

Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:03 pm
Slightly Canadian

So I should honestly be thinking about going to work in something other than shoes? Its common for people to turn up with snow boots on?

Unless you like having wet and cold feet. In Canada, aesthetic appeal of clothing comes second to practicality, especially in winter.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:11 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Unless you like having wet and cold feet. In Canada, aesthetic appeal of clothing comes second to practicality, especially in winter.
**** - this will take some getting used to.

Thanks for the advice - I honestly thought I was getting wound up.
Old Dec 15th 2008, 1:54 pm

It would be foolish to wear normal shoes outside in winter, particularly leather ones. Salt. I knackered a pair of Church's in an hour before I learned.

Nobody cares a toss what you dress like. It's the same in summer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.