Reload this Page >

Ready for the Storm....

Ready for the Storm....

Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:24 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Ready for the Storm....

We're buying a puppy this weekend.
What great timing... just in time to start taking him for walks in -30 at 6 in the morning....
Old Dec 13th 2008, 12:51 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
We're buying a puppy this weekend.
What great timing... just in time to start taking him for walks in -30 at 6 in the morning....
I don't think it's advisable to take a puppy for walkies in -30 temperature.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 2:51 am
Forum Regular

yorkie lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Brownstar
According to the locals here at temps below -15, you don't necessarily need to use it but the idea is that it helps you engine to have some warmth and there for start easier and do less damage.

Having a mechanical engineering background I would advise erring on the side of caution and use one rather than not use one.
Yep, I was told anything below -15 and you should plug ya car in......whether this is a cynical approach by those that manufacture/sell them I don't know but better to err on the side of caution as you say
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:42 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

I have to admit that its feels like well below -15 in lethbridge tonight and OH has just gone out to plug the cars in, never used block heaters

But they must of put them on there for some reason, i think well use them just incase .........
Mind you im trying to sort out my lights, so my car wont be going anywhere for a few days
Old Dec 13th 2008, 3:47 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
Mind you im trying to sort out my lights, so my car wont be going anywhere for a few days
The switch to turn them on will either be on the turn signal stalk on the steering column, or on the dash panel.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 4:06 am

moondevil will become famous soon enoughmoondevil will become famous soon enough

[QUOTE=CaptainHook;7063207]The switch to turn them on will either be on the turn signal stalk on the steering column, or on the dash panel.[/QUOTE

so funny, no i tried that my dear and no lights have come on, so its either two bulbs that have blown togeather or a fuse......
car runs fab, but with this snow and strong winds i think i may get a policeman flashing at me, so i think ill stay in until i see my OH and he can fix it.....

Or if anyone fancy's coming to the bridge, feel free, car is in the garage plugged in
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

You can get block heater specific extension cords that have a light on one end so you know you're getting power to the heater.

Use the block heater for a couple reasons: 1 to make starting easier; 2 to avoid wear and tear on the engine. The latter is more important over the long term.

How does it stop wear and tear? It keeps the oil more liquid so it can lubricate more easily when you start.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:24 am
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Cassie 10000
I heard the other day it can get heated regarding this subject
iank will be along soon...
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:20 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Pardon my ignorance and please don't ask me to do a search because I haven't the patience tonight (X factor final) but what is a block heater?

Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:24 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tinytears
Pardon my ignorance and please don't ask me to do a search because I haven't the patience tonight (X factor final) but what is a block heater?

It's a thingy near the engine that warms it up a bit. You'll often see cars running around with leads hanging out from under their hoods that plug into sockets by spaces in parking lots....... apparently my car has one but I haven't found it yet.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

It was plus 17C this afternoon in NL and I was walking around in a Polo shirt. It is a bit windy and its been fairly wet over the past couple of weeks but winter seems far away today! Tommorrow of course we're supposed to have flurries but then the temp gets back up into double figures next week.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:33 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

I was driving around for most of last evening in the storm .... first trying to get home, and then got changed and threw on some makeup and drove halfway across town to get to a show I was performing in.

I arrived ten minutes after the thing had started and had to walk onto the stage between songs to join my group.

Didn't get back til around midnight. My friend got stuck driving over to my place before we left so I had to rescue her first .... glad I have my jeep!

This morning hubby set off for work and I settled back to sleep, only to be woken a short time later by him stumping in grumbling about being stuck in some deep snow at the side of the road, so I had to throw on some clothes and go help dig him out. It was -24 at the time (wind-chill -30 something?). Then I cleared the drive (somewhat) before retreating inside for a shower to warm up and get some porridge in me!

Meeting Mandimoo later today to go sledging with her kids and have some hot chocolate (I hope)!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 6:36 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Morwenna
It's a thingy near the engine that warms it up a bit. You'll often see cars running around with leads hanging out from under their hoods that plug into sockets by spaces in parking lots....... apparently my car has one but I haven't found it yet.
Thank you, I await next winter with baited breath so that I can see them for myself!!
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:38 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moondevil
Or if anyone fancy's coming to the bridge, feel free, car is in the garage plugged in
Isn't the reasoning behind these devices, that you plug them in if the vehicle is left OUTSIDE ?

Surely if left in the garage, a vehicle will be OK with the just warmer ambient temperature ?

R.
Old Dec 13th 2008, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Isn't the reasoning behind these devices, that you plug them in if the vehicle is left OUTSIDE ?

Surely if left in the garage, a vehicle will be OK with the just warmer ambient temperature ?

R.
Rich
When it below -20 outside and we have a outside garage that isnt part of the house, then i'm advised by the locals to plug it in, i'm going off what the locals say, will be going down to -40 over the next couple of days and if my car starts first time im happy.

I would say the locals know what they are talking about

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.