Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Ready to pack my bags, and make the move in 2021

Ready to pack my bags, and make the move in 2021

Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ready to pack my bags, and make the move in 2021

Originally Posted by Santiago93
I was reading this link, and I quote "6. During the 20 day period, your employer needs to pay the CAN$230 employer compliance fee through the employer portal". It then says after that "the employer will send you an employment number to apply for your work permit". I read that as you needed a job first in order to then get the IES.
Below that it says 'Applies to Young Professional and Co-op Categories Only'. The IEC is neither of those.

HTH.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:13 pm
Just Joined

Santiago93 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello,

Thank you for clearing this up! Sorry if this will sound silly, but by young professionals I assume they are referring to recent college/university graduates?
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You would apply under the Working Holiday Visa as found in this link

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:19 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

Thank you for clearing this up! Sorry if this will sound silly, but by young professionals I assume they are referring to recent college/university graduates?
No, it's also for anybody aged 30 and under, for those with job offers who wish to gain professional experience in Canada. It's just a different category, but you could apply under the IEC Working Holiday Visa program which would get you the 2 year open work permit and for which no job offer is required.

Only thing to be aware of is that it's a lottery for a certain number of visas, and this year's program has been paused after very few invites were sent out. So there are far more people waiting for visas than visas available at the moment, and they may roll over in to next year's quota. But all you can do is apply and hope you get lucky.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 2:23 pm
Just Joined

Hi,

Thanks for clarifying that up. I will research this further.
Old Jun 8th 2020, 5:21 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
No, it's also for anybody aged 30 and under, for those with job offers who wish to gain professional experience in Canada. It's just a different category, but you could apply under the IEC Working Holiday Visa program which would get you the 2 year open work permit and for which no job offer is required.

Only thing to be aware of is that it's a lottery for a certain number of visas, and this year's program has been paused after very few invites were sent out. So there are far more people waiting for visas than visas available at the moment, and they may roll over in to next year's quota. But all you can do is apply and hope you get lucky.

HTH, good luck.
1. For citizens of the UK there is only the working holiday visa, there is no Young professionals nor Co-op.
Old Jun 9th 2020, 4:05 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies, I am a British Citizen, I was born in England.

I was reading this link, and I quote "6. During the 20 day period, your employer needs to pay the CAN$230 employer compliance fee through the employer portal". It then says after that "the employer will send you an employment number to apply for your work permit". I read that as you needed a job first in order to then get the IES.

So is it possible to get an IES without conformed employment, go to Canada and then find a job?
Did you read the text?

Step 6 and Step 7 are inside a box. Below the box is a note that indicates step 6 and step 7 applies to Young Professional and Co-op categories only.
International Experience Canada for UK nationals is for Working Holiday Work Permit only.. neither of the other 2 categories. https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/iec/eligibility.asp
Old Jun 10th 2020, 2:50 pm
Just Joined

When you guys applied for a visa, did you do it through the Canadian Government Website or use any agencies? If so would you recommend any agencies.
Old Jun 10th 2020, 2:59 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

When you guys applied for a visa, did you do it through the Canadian Government Website or use any agencies? If so would you recommend any agencies.
Unless you have a complex background - criminal past / medical issues etc., there is really no need to use an Immigration Consultant for a Permanent Resident application - you will need to give them all the same documentation as you will if you do it yourself - and they cannot sit the IELTS or obtain your Police checks or Education Assessment - you will have to do that and pay separately for them as well.

For an IEC application there is absolutely no need to use one.