British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ready to pack my bags, and make the move in 2021 (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ready-pack-my-bags-make-move-2021-a-932832/)

Santiago93 May 23rd 2020 7:31 pm

Ready to pack my bags, and make the move in 2021

My current circumstances:

Still saving an 'efficient' amount of money before I consider moving.
I am a 27 years old and will be planning on making the move by my self.
I have BSC honours in Computing and currently work as a data analyst for about 4 years now.
My desired place of move is to British Columbia in Surrey or Vancouver.
I have been to Canada three times, and maybe the 4th in August if we are permitted too.

In your opinion:

What area of BC, would be the best value for rental? What should I be expecting?
Would it be better to get a job confirmed first, or make the move and get a retail job for example before I get something permanent?

I am reviewing what path may be the best for me, but would like to get a better view.

Former Lancastrian May 23rd 2020 7:59 pm

Re: Ready to pack my bags, and make the move in 2021

What is your citizenship? If a UK citizen I would be looking at the IEC programme for 2021. Why? If accepted you get a 2 year open work permit to work anywhere in Canada. If you find Canada not your thing then you just simply return home. The IEC also opens up other avenues to become a PR. Nothing to lose everything to gain unless not accepted into the IEC.

bc2015 May 24th 2020 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Santiago93 (Post 12857062)
I have been to Canada three times, and maybe the 4th in August if we are permitted too.

I would be surprised and a little concerned if quarantine restrictions were lifted by then in BC.

dj322 May 31st 2020 11:59 am

I made the move to Victoria BC in 2013 from London UK. It probably did take me at least 2 years to settle into they new way of life: less stress, more free time and super friendly people. Feel free to send me your details directly and we can connect and I can let you know more.

Santiago93 Jun 6th 2020 7:31 pm

I would appreciate that mate, what platform would be best?

Former Lancastrian Jun 6th 2020 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Santiago93 (Post 12862945)
I would appreciate that mate, what platform would be best?

Platform 3 Euston Station.

tooboocoo Jun 7th 2020 12:49 pm

Don't pack your bags just yet, OP. Do you have a visa??

beckiwoo Jun 7th 2020 5:52 pm

Originally Posted by Santiago93 (Post 12857062)
My desired place of move is to British Columbia in Surrey or Vancouver.

What area of BC, would be the best value for rental? What should I be expecting?

Any particular reason for Vancouver and/or Surrey?

Surrey is becoming built up as city - it’s pretty large. Rental prices will be slightly cheaper there than in Vancouver I would assume (I don’t rent anymore so I’m not sure on the markets), however it is still considered high cost and it’s not uncommon for 25-50% of a person’s income to go towards rent

Santiago93 Jun 8th 2020 10:33 am

I have family in BC, they are spread across Surrey, Vancouver and Victoria. Victoria is a bit quiet for me. I mean even the surrounding areas would be fine as well. I am researching jobs and wages as well just to get an idea of what I would need to be earning to live independently. I want to save some money on the side as well, and see how things go.

Twitcher1958 Jun 8th 2020 12:54 pm

Do you have a visa already?

Santiago93 Jun 8th 2020 1:03 pm

Hi,

No not yet. I am still assessing which one would be best. I am still considering which Visa would be best.

Former Lancastrian Jun 8th 2020 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Santiago93 (Post 12863663)
Hi,

No not yet. I am still assessing which one would be best. I am still considering which Visa would be best.

What you think might be best might not be as easy as you think. IMHO the IEC is by far the easiest by far but again you are not answering questions posed by members to help as I asked in post #2.

Santiago93 Jun 8th 2020 1:48 pm

I am a UK Resident. I looked at the requirements for an 'IEC' however you need confirmed employment. I was possibly looking at coming over without having a job confirmed but with enough capital to survive.

christmasoompa Jun 8th 2020 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Santiago93 (Post 12863712)
I looked at the requirements for an 'IEC' however you need confirmed employment.

Nope. It's a 2 year open work permit, no job offer required when applying.

You say you're a UK resident, but what is your citizenship?

Santiago93 Jun 8th 2020 2:07 pm

Apologies, I am a British Citizen, I was born in England.

I was reading this link, and I quote "6. During the 20 day period, your employer needs to pay the CAN$230 employer compliance fee through the employer portal". It then says after that "the employer will send you an employment number to apply for your work permit". I read that as you needed a job first in order to then get the IES.

So is it possible to get an IES without conformed employment, go to Canada and then find a job?