Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada

READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada

Old Aug 9th 2018, 1:31 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: READ ME. PENSION RULES UK to Canada

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan

we challenged this and still have to go to Tax Court on the remaining $8k because my husband was not working, he was fired when he had to return to duty in the UK following his three year career break and in order to retire from the Police. Asked for six weeks and was told no, as was a holiday balackout period over Christmas. But his return to Duty was a duty commitment and not a vacation and he had to work a month in order to take his early retirement. So hie earnings were knly EI and reduced EI because of the pension income too. I also shared his pension as I was on low earnings, so he could not owe $8k in tax on an income of under $20k. CRA worked with his UK figures when they should not have done once they were made aware that it fell under the 25% tax free criteria.

So, has a Court made a decision regarding the "win" you believe you have, or was it simply someone at CRA that decided not to pursue their claim against you? Are you aware that, if you take them to Court on the issue raised above, they may decide to reopen their previous decision and have a Court rule on that too?
Old Aug 9th 2018, 1:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyWFC
You made the correct call that's for sure in letting others know about this. I did PM you yesterday and included my email address.

Thanks again for all.
I did try to send the info to you last night. Can you send me you email address again as it would not send
thanks, Stef
Old Aug 9th 2018, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

we challenged this and still have to go to Tax Court on the remaining $8k because my husband was not working, he was fired when he had to return to duty in the UK following his three year career break and in order to retire from the Police. Asked for six weeks and was told no, as was a holiday balackout period over Christmas. But his return to Duty was a duty commitment and not a vacation and he had to work a month in order to take his early retirement. So hie earnings were knly EI and reduced EI because of the pension income too. I also shared his pension as I was on low earnings, so he could not owe $8k in tax on an income of under $20k. CRA worked with his UK figures when they should not have done once they were made aware that it fell under the 25% tax free criteria.

that would be hard for them to do because of their legislation. They have already conceded the $32k as their error.
we are argueing the remaining $8k as a result of them working with figures they should not have.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 4:28 pm
Just Joined

TonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - Stef kindly sent me the paperwork. I will quote the relevant part and then paste the relevent part from the income tax act

"A review of the facts and documents submitted indicates that, regarding the lump sum pension amount, the letter you submitted from the (OLD EMPLOYER) dated May 11 2017, indicates that 25% of the total cystallisation amount can be taken as a tax-free lump sum. Sub-clause 56 (1) (a) (i) (C.1) of the income tax act indicates that any foreign pension amount that would not be subject to income tax in the country of origin will not be subject to income tax in Canada"

I then found the part of the Income Tax Act the CRA are referring to.
Amounts to be included in income for year
  • 56 (1) Without restricting the generality of section 3, there shall be included in computing the income of a taxpayer for a taxation year,
    • Marginal note:Pension benefits, unemployment insurance benefits, etc.
      (a) any amount received by the taxpayer in the year as, on account or in lieu of payment of, or in satisfaction of,
      • (i) a superannuation or pension benefit including, without limiting the generality of the foregoing,
        • (A) the amount of any pension, supplement or spouse’s or common-law partner’s allowance under the Old Age Security Act and the amount of any similar payment under a law of a province,
        • (B) the amount of any benefit under the Canada Pension Plan or a provincial pension plan as defined in section 3 of that Act,
        • (C) the amount of any payment out of or under a specified pension plan, and
        • (C.1) the amount of any payment out of or under a foreign retirement arrangement established under the laws of a country, except to the extent that the amount would not, if the taxpayer were resident in the country, be subject to income taxation in the country,

C1 being the key part.

For myself this information in invaluable and it looks on the face of it a slam dunk. Indeed Stef has proved that in her appeal. Having said that, I know to my cost of running a business in the UK how costly it can be without getting things like this signed off. For that reason alone, I intend to send this to my accountant (she's British and worked in Canada for the last 10 years) and ask her to comment. I might also engage the likes of PWC and get their take on it. I would rather spend a few $$$ now knowing that if challenged, I have sought out expert advice before proceeding.

Big thanks again to Stef and Iins.
Old Aug 9th 2018, 5:00 pm
Just Joined

TonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond reputeTonyWFC has a reputation beyond repute

I have just read Jonboy's detailed explanation in a previous post, where he talks about the CRA'S wording etc - "foreign retirement arrangement rather than pension" This adds to the confusion as he clearly know's what he is talking about!
Old Aug 9th 2018, 6:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TonyWFC
I have just read Jonboy's detailed explanation in a previous post, where he talks about the CRA'S wording etc - "foreign retirement arrangement rather than pension" This adds to the confusion as he clearly know's what he is talking about!
He does - he is a professional... and a very good one at that.

Old Aug 31st 2018, 6:23 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Thread resurrection

Did anyone appeal paying tax on the lump sum and if so any results??
Old Aug 31st 2018, 7:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Send me your email in my PM and I will send you a copy of the part of my CRA appeal letter which covers this
You dont have to declare it if it is up to 25% andtax free in the country of Origin.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 7:17 pm
Just Joined

Armed with the paperwork Iins and Stef kindly sent me, I have instructed PWC to review. I cannot take a chance as if not allowed, the resultant tax bill would probably put me 6 foot under with the shock.
Old Aug 31st 2018, 9:07 pm
Just Joined

Sanmar is an unknown quantity at this point

I also received a tax free lump sum which my accountant says I will have to pay tax on here unless I move it to an RRSP . He spoke to a CRA tax advisor who said all pensions are taxable in Canada . Is the tax free lumpsum considered a part of your pension ? I am so confused by the CRA /income tax wording.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 12:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Sanmar
I also received a tax free lump sum which my accountant says I will have to pay tax on here unless I move it to an RRSP . He spoke to a CRA tax advisor who said all pensions are taxable in Canada . Is the tax free lumpsum considered a part of your pension ? I am so confused by the CRA /income tax wording.
no it is not part of your pension. Send me your email address PM me, and I will send a copy of CRA letter quoting why it is tax free in Canada. Your monthly pension is classed as income and will be taxed.
stef
Old Sep 1st 2018, 4:28 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Send me your email in my PM and I will send you a copy of the part of my CRA appeal letter which covers this
You dont have to declare it if it is up to 25% andtax free in the country of Origin.

It would be really helpful if you could upload copies of the documents / letters (with any personal info blacked out) to the Wiki so that everyone who needs to find out about it could access them.

This is really useful information to know for many members who are reaching retirement age - both now and in the future ... and this thread may not always be open for people to continue to ask you - or you may not be posting on BE! You can put a get-out clause in the header - "this is not legal advice and the poster gives no guarantee that the information given is accurate - this is just for information and is an indication of what may be possible" or similar, if it makes you feel more comfortable.

Cheers

Could you add it to one of the Canadian tax or pension wiki's please?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Speci...=Pension&go=Go
Old Sep 1st 2018, 11:45 am
BE Forum Addict

I have tried to do this twice. I dont have a problem with posting it, but I have tried and failed twice. If you think it would be helpful to have it where everyone could access it, I agree. If you PM me I will send it to you via email and you can play around with it and post it on my behalf with the disclaimers as suggested. I have never given it to anyone as legal advice and have told them our story and suggested the way forward for people. Whether they choose to do something is entirely their decision. I am upset by John boy E’s comments and I do appreciate that he has been doing this for years as a job. That We got lucky and that it wasnt to be believed and your support of his stance in telling people of his experience in these matters making me feel that you are somehow calling me a liar. Sorry, but I dont do this to gain, just to help people to understand what has happened in our case. It is in writing for CRA, I have not made this up. As I have said before, the trolls and comments on this site are worrying at times, part of the reason I stopped posting for a long time. This matter I deemed important to get out there.

please send what you have written back to me for my final approval, is all I ask
stef

Last edited by lins and Stef McLachlan; Sep 1st 2018 at 11:47 am.
Old Sep 1st 2018, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I have tried to do this twice. I dont have a problem with posting it, but I have tried and failed twice. If you think it would be helpful to have it where everyone could access it, I agree. If you PM me I will send it to you via email and you can play around with it and post it on my behalf with the disclaimers as suggested. I have never given it to anyone as legal advice and have told them our story and suggested the way forward for people. Whether they choose to do something is entirely their decision. I am upset by John boy E’s comments and I do appreciate that he has been doing this for years as a job. That We got lucky and that it wasnt to be believed and your support of his stance in telling people of his experience in these matters making me feel that you are somehow calling me a liar. Sorry, but I dont do this to gain, just to help people to understand what has happened in our case. It is in writing for CRA, I have not made this up. As I have said before, the trolls and comments on this site are worrying at times, part of the reason I stopped posting for a long time. This matter I deemed important to get out there.

please send what you have written back to me for my final approval, is all I ask
stef
If you want to email me your scanned letter, I will black out the personal stuff and upload it to wiki and make a suitable entry.

I am certain that no one is calling you a liar, Joneboy was saying that your assessor made a mistake and did not make a judgement that stands as a precedent, that is his opinion and he is free to express it. It will be interesting indeed to see if anyone else is successful using the information you kindly supplied and also gets the 25% tax free!
Old Sep 1st 2018, 8:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Could you add it to one of the Canadian tax or pension wiki's please?
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Speci...=Pension&go=Go
Stef has emailed me jpg's of the relevant portions of the CRA letter. I will updated the wiki as appropriate in the next few days when I get back from the current road trip!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.