Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Hmm. It's seems it is still alive. Do you want to report it? I can't be bothered.
Let me think.......

Nah. Can't be arsed, as it were.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:07 pm
Forum Regular

tioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nicetioram is just really nice

Originally Posted by mardyarse
Unbelieveable - a thread about "what kind of person shops at Wal Mart" gets taken off the forum but "Catholic bashing" seems to bring all the bigots out. Do you realise what you sound like? Have you any idea just how thoughtless your throw away remarks are? Those of you criticising the Catholic faith, the Church and everything to do with it are the worse when you say you want to find out how to bend/break the rules to your own gain. You want to send your children to Catholic schools because you believe its the best education you can get but yet you'll sit there next to practising Catholic parents at school plays, Masses and parent's evening and lie through your teeth all night.

Shame on you and I pity the environment your children are being brought up in. What exactly are the morals you are teaching them. I hope it all comes back to you one day. It would serve you right if your child chose a theology degree that you'll end up funding or would you not pay for that because your twisted morals wouldn't allow? People have the right to have freedom of speech and that means my opinion counts as well. We should agree to disagree on this point and that be it. I wouldn't come into your public schools and start trying to change the curriculum to suit my catholic beliefs thats why I stay away but same in exchange. Its suits a great many people so leave it alone. Don't like it, don't send your children to Catholic schools. But to be a hypocrite in the highest degree you're neither a maverick or a coward. You don't disagree enough to change things you'd just rather get what you want and moan and disagree behind closed doors. The very worst sort of person. At least have enough scruples about yourself to stand by your convictions instead of hiding. Go away and think long and hard about exactly what sort of parent you are. My name is Mardy Arse because parents like you get right up my nose you're neither one or the other. At least if you're an athesiest you stand by your conviction and your entitlement to your strong opinion which I respect. But a hypocrite is a worse sort of character, come on stand up and be counted one way or the other. Yep, I'm pretty mardy about this subject so either stop your bashing or take it elsewhere.
No-one is bashing Catholics, the Catholic church or people's faith. I don't think it is hypocritical of someone to send their child to a faith school which their taxes have contributed towards in order to receive what they believe will be the best possible education. Don't you agree that it's unfortunate that people feel the need to set their spiritual beliefs aside in order to provide the best education for their children? My children go to a "non-denominational" school which supposedly has no religious affiliations but still Christian beliefs, rituals and dogma play a big part in their education - I have no choice but to expose them to it. I'm sure you would feel thoroughly agrieved if you felt you had to send your child to a humanist school for example, to get the best possible education.

I suspect the Catholic education system in Canada was very much influenced by the system here in the UK. As a Scot, I'm very proud of the influence Scots have had in shaping Canada, but I'm a little dissapointed that we seem to share a failing to separate church and state in education.

Given that the education system in France is so proudly secular I wonder if this issue exists in Franco-Canada?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hwp
... and the non-parent, who pays for all the breeders.
The thing is, even if you have no kids, paying for the education of other's kids will benefit you in the long term. When you are old and decrepit who is paying the taxes to keep you on life support! The kids whose education you paid for. And they'd better have good jobs so they can pay lots of taxes.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:10 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tioram
Given that the education system in France is so proudly secular I wonder if this issue exists in Franco-Canada?
Quebec had such a system but abolished it. So did, largely Catholic, Newfoundland.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:11 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
Quebec had such a system but abolished it. So did, largely Catholic, Newfoundland.
From what I can see, Quebec has largely abolished Catholicism.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:11 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
The thing is, even if you have no kids, paying for the education of other's kids will benefit you in the long term. When you are old and decrepit who is paying the taxes to keep you on life support! The kids whose education you paid for. And they'd better have good jobs so they can pay lots of taxes.

A good argument as to why Catholics should not be allowed to withdraw their financial support from the general school system.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:19 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

I have no problem with paying taxes. I would rather live in a society where people are educated than not. Education is good.

The amount of taxes I pay are more than enough to cover my own life support, thanks.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Nonsense. What's so special about catholics? And why do you stereotype them as having 17 kids?
Nothng is special about "catholics" it's catholic communities that have the legal and historical (special?) right under the constitution of Canada to have state funding for their schools. Where Catholics are in a minority the public board is non-catholic. Where catholics are ion the majority the public board is catholic. In St. Albert the separate school system is non-catholic.

Why do Catholics have this historucal right?

Canada has 3 founding nations. One of which was catholic. That informs and shapes the way the constitution was created. And to be honest it was the British gift to the world of fairness that allowed this to happen!

The brits beat the French on the Plains of Abraham. For the first time in history the victor did not commit cultural genocide. The French people were alowed their language, religion and culture as a right not a privilege.

Be proud of yourselves - and this is without irony - our forefathers "did good."

This planted the seeds of multiculturalism.

Now coming from a country where Catholics are often immigrants (Irish and European) and in the minority it may seem odd that they have such rights over here.

But their rights are a part of the DNA of Canada.

And Canada is the place you want to move to right? Maybe? So there must be some benefit from these events, in terms of the kind of society Canada strives to be - a civil society.

Why do I sterotype Catholics as having 17 kids - well if they don't have 17 kids then the odds are that the non-catholic taxpayer is not being overburdened by paying for the education of catholics.

BTW: In case it's not obvious from previous posts - I am Catholic, from Irish and English catholic roots.

As to Catholicism being a superstition - I'll leave that to another thread.

Last edited by triumphguy; Jan 22nd 2009 at 3:34 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hwp
I have no problem with paying taxes. I would rather live in a society where people are educated than not. Education is good.

The amount of taxes I pay are more than enough to cover my own life support, thanks.

Oh no they aren't!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:30 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

hwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to beholdhwp is a splendid one to behold

Oh no they aren't!
I wish.

Actually, I honestly don't get worked up about paying taxes... if I want x income, I make sure I make enough gross income to get a net of x.

Last edited by hwp; Jan 22nd 2009 at 3:33 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hwp
I wish.
Ouch!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

A good argument as to why Catholics should not be allowed to withdraw their financial support from the general school system.
No - Catholics pay taxes too!

We might be special, but we ain't that special!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Nothng is special about "catholics" it's catholic communities that have the legal and historical (special?) right under the constitution of Canada to have state funding for their schools. Where Catholics are in a minority the public board is non-catholic. Where catholics are ion the majority the public board is catholic. In St. Albert the separate school system is non-catholic.

Why do Catholics have this historucal right?

Canada has 3 founding nations. One of which was catholic. That informs and shapes the way the constitution was created. And to be honest it was the British gift to the world of fairness that allowed this to happen!

The brits beat the French on the Plains of Abraham. For the first time in history the victor did not commit cultural genocide. The French people were alowed their language, religion and culture as a right not a privilege.

Be proud of yourselves - and this is without irony - our forefathers "did good."

This planted the seeds of multiculturalism.

Now coming from a country were Cathlolics are often immigrants (Irish and European) and in the minority it may seem odd that they have such rights over here.

But their rights are a part of the DNA of Canada.

And Canada is the place you want to move to right? Maybe? So there must be some benefit from these events, in terms of the kind of society Canada strives to be - a civil society.

Why do I sterotype Catholics as having 17 kids - well if they don't have 17 kids then the odds are that the non-catholic taxpayer is not being overburdened by paying for the education of catholics.

BTW: In case it's not obvious from previous posts - I am Catholic, from Irish and English catholic roots.

As to Catholicism being a superstition - I'll leave that to another thread.

Multi-culturalism is about equality and diversity. The existence of a separate school system for one, and only one, religion is an affront to multiculturalism. Pro-Catholic discrimination is not fundamental to the social order of Canada; we can see that because everywhere except Ontario has abolished it without incident.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:39 pm
hwp
BE Enthusiast

Multi-culturalism is about equality and diversity. The existence of a separate school system for one, and only one, religion is an affront to multiculturalism. Pro-Catholic discrimination is not fundamental to the social order of Canada; we can see that because everywhere except Ontario has abolished it without incident.
Or never had it in place to begin with. BC's system started as secular and only recently added partial funding for 'independent schools' (which include faith-based schools)... but yes, it's all in the name of equality and diversity or whatever.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

I said seeds of mulitculturalism.

Alberta funds the Catholic schools as well as public schools.

In Alberta charter schools get the same funding as publuc schools, and can be faith based. Many are mainly Muslim or Christian in fact

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.