Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re JET747s post about Catholic schools

COming to this argument late- and haven't read all the threads.

I disagree with the stance taken by quite few catholic school baords in Alberta on the HPV vaccine. They refused for them to be administered in the schools and whilst parents could go to another clinic to get them, only 20% of girls attending these catholic schools have been vacinated.

Just thought I would throw this into the mix....
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I fear that a "Catholic flounce" is something involving robes and youthful members of the congregation.
FFS: MOST children are abused by their own dads, uncles, and family friends.:curse:

Since Catholics are superstitious child abusers: what kind of monster could send his own daughter to a Catholic School?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:43 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by triumphguy
FFS: MOST children are abused by their own dads, uncles, and family friends.:curse:
That's true of all abused children, is it not? Nonetheless, priests have a history of abuse not mirrored in other religions or occupations, they're a fair target for a joke.

Since Catholics are superstitious child abusers: what kind of monster could send his own daughter to a Catholic School?
Daughter. That means a girl. Safe among priests.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:04 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

That's true of all abused children, is it not? Nonetheless, priests have a history of abuse not mirrored in other religions or occupations, they're a fair target for a joke.

Wrong: For a start it's not a joke. The Church does not treat sexual abuse it as a joke, nor do the victims or parents, or laity, or police.

Secondly, most catholics are not priests, so to suggest that a Catholic flounce includes robes and child abuse is an outrageouse caricature.

Thirdly the vast majority of priests do not abuse, nor do they abuse more than people from any other profession or religion. I could just as tritely claim that anglican choir masters could validly make that claim! Or male English school teachers, or public school boys, or the Royal Navy ("Hello Sailor!") or rugby players!. Or male hairdressers.....

Farmers are famous abusers of chickens and pigs.

Daughter. That means a girl. Safe among priests.

Not necessarilly - most are raging heterosexuals, and hockey fans!
Get back to your chickens
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:08 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Get back to your chickens
I think, sir, that you protest too much. It may be that closet homosexuality could exist without the priesthood but I doubt the converse is true.

The church treats child sexual abuse by priests as something to deny and conceal, not as a joke but as something that didn't happen. It may not be the case that most priests abuse but the comfort and concealment offered by the church to those who do suggests that one should not leave a boy unattended in the company of anyone sworn to celibacy.

One wishes chickens and pigs were offered as sacrificial lambs by your errant priests; by all accounts they have short memories, five minutes of robed frolic doesn't leave them with decades of pain.

Finally, on the church bashing front, doesn't the idea that priests are "raging hetrosexuals" rather clash with their vows?

Meanwhile, back at the central argument, why does this church deserve the taxpayers support over and above the polygamist spring offs of the Mormons, the church of Monday Night Football, the Church of the Poisoned Mind, or any other group of liked minded individuals?

Last edited by dbd33; Jan 23rd 2009 at 1:18 am.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:29 am
BE Forum Addict

I think, sir, that you protest too much. It may be that closet homosexuality could exist without the priesthood but I doubt the converse is true.

The church treats child sexual abuse by priests as something to deny and conceal, not as a joke but as something that didn't happen. It may not be the case that most priests abuse but the comfort and concealment offered by the church to those who do suggests that one should not leave a boy unattended in the company of anyone sworn to celibacy.

One wishes chickens and pigs were offered as sacrificial lambs by your errant priests; by all accounts they have short memories, five minutes of robed frolic doesn't leave them with decades of pain.

Finally, on the church bashing front, doesn't the idea that priests are "raging hetrosexuals" rather clash with their vows?

Meanwhile, back at the central argument, why does this church deserve the taxpayers support over and above the polygamist spring offs of the Mormons, the church of Monday Night Football, the Church of the Poisoned Mind, or any other group of liked minded individuals?
Incidences of sexual abuse are no higher among the RC clergy, than any clergy or profession, or sport.

While such incidences were ignored, hidden, brushed over in the past that is not true of the present. All applicants are tested psychologially before they enter training. Any abuse is dealt with by the judicial system as well as the diocese. Hundreds of millions have been paid in compensation.

You can be a raging heterosexual and celibate - I was for 6 years as a theology student and franciscan friar, before I quit to get married.

Regarding your curious list: none of those cults/religions/pop groups were were culturally embedded in the founding communities of this country. However, if the fan club of Boy George and the Church of the Poisoned Mind wants to start a charter school in Alberta and receive a per student grant they are welcome to, as long as they abide by the Alberta curriculum.

I can't speak for Ontario - backwards place that it is.

I'm glad your chickens are recovering!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:34 am
Assimilated Pauper

You can be a raging heterosexual and celibate -
Perhaps "one" can.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
Okay, here goes. It s wrong to ask anyone how to forge documents. Full stop. Whether it is for Catholic school or anywhere else is immaterial.
Full stop? So you wouldn't forge a baptism certificate to save someone from the death camps?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

My hero...
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 11:53 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by newshoney
Full stop? So you wouldn't forge a baptism certificate to save someone from the death camps?
Oh good shot, that woman!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Incidences of sexual abuse are no higher among the RC clergy, than any clergy or profession, or sport.
But aren't the clergy meant to be God fearing? Don't Catholics believe in hell or something? Don't religious people who practise child abuse fear the final judgement not from the authorities but from God?

Incidences of sexual abuse should be far lower than any other profession. But then thats the problem isn't it? Are they serving their God or is it just a job with a lot of privleges?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

JET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to allJET747 is a name known to all

It is unbelievable the longevity of the constant bickering that is going on. It makes me wonder if people have been laid off and are filling in their time with cheap humour.

We have a friend who is a barrister. 90% of abuse happens either by a family member or a close friend---the 10% of others may be teachers ,clergy ,policemen, lawyers--anyone. So this repulsive act of abuse is more likely to occur in your own home than in any church.

Saying that no abuse is acceptable and it should be rightly rooted out.

I don't think there are any death camps--maybe in Africa--but I can't see us ever going down this road again in the west.

I think it is time to turn the other cheek and to move on to the more important topics in the forum of helping each other out, rather than keeping the posts going here which the original poster probably is also fed up with.

Keep Smiling

JET
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:20 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by newshoney
As I wouldn't know what an original looks like, I couldn't forge a copy of one.

Are we talking someone in general, or someone I know? As far as I know, no-one I personally know of is at risk of being sent to a death camp. We could generalise, theorise and justify anything we want to, but until each one of us is in that situation, we won't know how much we're willing to bend our morals.

Would forging a baptismal certificate to save someone from a death camp justify doing the same to gain entry to a better school. No it would not.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:21 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by JET747
We have a friend who is a barrister. 90% of abuse happens either by a family member or a close friend---the 10% of others may be teachers ,clergy ,policemen, lawyers--anyone. So this repulsive act of abuse is more likely to occur in your own home than in any church.
Is the barrister a pedalo? I don't trust people with jobs involving costumes.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Nothng is special about "catholics" it's catholic communities that have the legal and historical (special?) right under the constitution of Canada to have state funding for their schools. Where Catholics are in a minority the public board is non-catholic. Where catholics are ion the majority the public board is catholic. In St. Albert the separate school system is non-catholic.

To say the separate school system is "non-catholic" is not untrue, but its not quite the whole truth. "St. Albert Protestant Schools" is the title of the separate school board in St Albert. According to the website it is a "non-denominational setting".

According to the St Albert catholic school board........

"Greater St. Albert Catholic Schools is a welcoming, Christ-centered learning community. We offer a strong, loving Christian environment that is rooted in Catholic principles. We respect students as gifts from God and welcome students from all religious backgrounds who wish to participate in a Catholic school environment. Prayer is an integral part of our environment. (see Religion Education Program) Many parents of non-Catholic Christian denominations, or no particular faith, are very satisfied with our programs."

So it looks like anyone can attend the St Albert catholic schools in theory. The wording is interesting though in that it specifically states Christian or no faith parents are satisfied but doesn't mention parents of any other non christian faiths.

Last edited by jimf; Jan 23rd 2009 at 12:40 pm. Reason: highlight text