Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

RBC - useless? Or have I just been unlucky..

RBC - useless? Or have I just been unlucky..

Old Mar 24th 2014, 5:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RBC - useless? Or have I just been unlucky..

We picked RBC as our bank fairly randomly when we emigrated - well, they gave us a bank account and credit cards so that got our vote.

However, they seem to be inept in just about everything. Every time we do anything; open a new account, change our credit card type, things are never configured properly and necessitate visits to the branch and phone calls. Today, yet another phone call was required for something that should have been set up already, and we call the number, press option 1 as suggested, only to get a message saying the number cannot be connected from our area! What sort of customer service is this??

Maybe it's just our luck, but when we get back from the UK in a few weeks our banking is going elsewhere....
Old Mar 24th 2014, 6:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RBC - useless? Or have I just been unlucky..

Originally Posted by izzi81
We picked RBC as our bank fairly randomly when we emigrated - well, they gave us a bank account and credit cards so that got our vote.

However, they seem to be inept in just about everything. Every time we do anything; open a new account, change our credit card type, things are never configured properly and necessitate visits to the branch and phone calls. Today, yet another phone call was required for something that should have been set up already, and we call the number, press option 1 as suggested, only to get a message saying the number cannot be connected from our area! What sort of customer service is this??

Maybe it's just our luck, but when we get back from the UK in a few weeks our banking is going elsewhere....
Probably useless but I had similar experiences with Scotia for my first 18 months. I suspect they all have their initial kinks.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:27 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

we have our accounts with RBC ( set them up as non resident and then converted when we came over permanently)
initially were very good and then we hit a major issue with them when trying to get me a credit card ( was a year or so down the line).

we made an appointment to see the very first person who had set up the account ( i think he'd been promoted by this point)

Once I started throwing out words like "theft" and "fraud" we were taken very seriously. Never had any problems since.

It seems to be down to the individual as to what your experience is like
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:37 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I have been with RBC for over 20 years and found them better than most banks I have dealt with. They all make mistakes at one time or another, but RBC always corrected everything to our satisfaction, have been helpful and pleasant to deal with. Pretty much every organisation as one or more jobsworth working for them.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 7:56 pm
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

As an investment company we deal with all the 'big four' and although I haven't kept detailed records I would say that 80% of our banking problems stem from RBC. Usually to do with negligence from failing to get documents to us in time, to sending us unsigned documents, to arriving late or not attending meetings. They drive me batty.

And yet a lot of people love them - hence the fact we still have to deal with them!

I'd rate them:

1. TD
2. BMO (close second)
3. Scotia
4. RBC

Good luck with whatever you decide. J
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Jingle - that's interesting to know, thanks! I've been giving them the benefit of the doubt for quite a while now but I think I've had it.

Aviator - I don't think is is one jobsworth, I think it's general ineptitude, it's happened too many times.

The people in-branch are always very friendly, but friendly in person doesn't make up for the time I'm wasting!

We'll bear TD and BMO in mind
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:18 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

As a side note regarding your problems with the telephone, you may have to dial 1-902 then the number because the number may be out of region. I get this in work all the time, when I have to ring patients, it's just the way it is here. So I don't think it's the bank's problem.

Hope you get everything else sorted.

Kaz
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by kazbob
As a side note regarding your problems with the telephone, you may have to dial 1-902 then the number because the number may be out of region. I get this in work all the time, when I have to ring patients, it's just the way it is here. So I don't think it's the bank's problem.

Hope you get everything else sorted.

Kaz
No it was the bank's problem. We got through on the phone, went through a couple of menus, and got to one with 2 options. Pressed 1, got a message saying the number cannot be connected. It was not a number we dialled, it was a choice on their system...
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:30 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I've had bank accounts in numerous countries and RBC has been, without doubt, the best of the lot - by a country mile.

Wish they operated in the UK.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 8:36 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

No it was the bank's problem. We got through on the phone, went through a couple of menus, and got to one with 2 options. Pressed 1, got a message saying the number cannot be connected. It was not a number we dialled, it was a choice on their system...
Ah okay, I see now. Well that is bad, so annoying.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:43 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

We'll bear TD and BMO in mind
Both of which were ones we had issues with and could not get away from fast enough.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 9:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter closed her RBC accounts because they were hopeless. She moved to TD and is happy with them. We are also with TD but the jury is still out.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:13 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I use RBC and have been mostly happy with them, no major issues. Even being poor and not being a useful customer they are still friendly and efficient when I have to deal with them.
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looks like RBC service is very hit and miss!
Old Mar 24th 2014, 10:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like RBC service is very hit and miss!
Most banks seem to be, as do most companies these days, seems companies have no consistency anymore.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.