British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Random bacon question (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/random-bacon-question-580900/)

Tommyboy17 Dec 30th 2008 12:32 pm

Random bacon question

So I miss very little from the UK food wise, anytime I have thought of something I have looked and found it at the store and because I live in Halifax NS, Petes is always a good choice.

The thing is I haven't found any UK style bacon yet, anyone know where I can get some? I've asked a few people at the farmers market at the brewery on a Sat morn and Petes has back bacon but its just not quite right. I do love the bacon in Canada in its own right, awesome with pancakes but its not really right for a Sunday morning bacon and egg roll!

Any suggestions?

Or better yet emmigrated pig farmers?

mandymoochops Dec 30th 2008 3:11 pm

Re: Random bacon question

I think Bazzz should answer this one

Stu-pot Dec 30th 2008 3:51 pm

if i remember from when we were lasy over there the closet to back bacon is peameal or something sounding like that

Novocastrian Dec 30th 2008 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Stu-pot (Post 7111175)
if i remember from when we were lasy over there the closet to back bacon is peameal or something sounding like that

Yes, I miss bazzz.

BristolUK Dec 30th 2008 4:46 pm

I saw 'English (or British) style' back bacon in Sobeys. I didn't get any but it looked the real thing.

G77 Dec 30th 2008 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by BristolUK (Post 7111392)
I saw 'English (or British) style' back bacon in Sobeys. I didn't get any but it looked the real thing.

Presumably with a premium price tag too? Is it me or is Sobeys more expensive for just about everything (anything that's not in their flyer!)?

Steve_P Dec 30th 2008 4:51 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7111412)
Is it me or is Sobeys more expensive for just about everything (anything that's not in their flyer!)?

It's not you. ;)

Tommyboy17 Dec 30th 2008 4:56 pm

Cheers guys

I'm off to Soebys after work!

I'll normally shop at superstore but there is one not far away. I have tried the peameal stuff from Pete's and although it was better (for a bacon and egg roll) than the rest of the bacon it still wasnt right.

G77 Dec 30th 2008 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_P (Post 7111415)
It's not you. ;)

I moan to the wife that everything seems more expensive, but get overruled :o

mandymoochops Dec 30th 2008 5:02 pm

thats because you're being conditioned for when she buys that $300 pair of boots ;)

BristolUK Dec 30th 2008 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by G77 (Post 7111412)
Presumably with a premium price tag too? Is it me or is Sobeys more expensive for just about everything (anything that's not in their flyer!)?

I think it's funny how Superstore and Sobeys both have 'Price-check' labels showing how their price compares with the rival. But it does show that some things might be a little less in Sobeys.

Although most stuff is a bit more at Sobeys there are exceptions. I buy frozen shrimps there. Most of the time (at least 90%?) one of the bags they sell (flyer price) is way cheaper than Superstore even if they, too, have one on offer.

On the rare occasion that one of the stores doesn't have Chapmans, Farmers, Scotsburn etc ice cream for $3 or less, the Sobeys 'Compliments' brand is worth looking at. It's a decent price and they have other flavours apart from Vanilla, choc or Neapolitan which tends to be the limit of the other cheapies.

So there we have it. Sobeys for 'English style' back bacon, Ice Cream or Shrimps.:)

(Bacon in packs, BTW, not on the Deli counter.)

Canada Dreams Dec 30th 2008 11:32 pm

im off there to, really misssed uk bacon, why oh why do the canadians have funny bacon :D

geedee Dec 31st 2008 12:15 am

Originally Posted by Canada Dreams (Post 7112874)
im off there to, really misssed uk bacon, why oh why do the canadians have funny bacon :D

It tastes nice with maple syrup....

fledermaus Dec 31st 2008 12:17 am

Originally Posted by geedee (Post 7112965)
It tastes nice with maple syrup....

We got some nice bacon from Costco, their own make. Tis very yummy and not as riddled with fat and water as is the usual case.

Pamela 1 Dec 31st 2008 3:10 pm

I hope one of you will report on the bacon from Sobeys. That's the one thing we miss in Ontario. Right now we are in UK and I keep bacon on the fridge all the time, but come Spring I will check out Sobeys if there is a good report!