Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rainy Days & Mondays...

Wikiposts

Rainy Days & Mondays...

Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:16 am
Bring on the snow!

Rob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond reputeRob_999 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rainy Days & Mondays...

Originally Posted by NSpaul
This might be a really dumb question but why would anyone from the UK want to emigrate to a place where a) it rains more than the UK and b) houses are even more expensive than the UK?

Am I missing something? What is the appeal of Vancouver?
I don't think weather or house prices are the sort of thing that attracts people to Vancouver. But for those that want to live in a city (work opportunities etc), but also want easy access to some of the best skiing, hiking, mt biking etc etc in the world - than it's an amazing place to live. Thats why we moved here... I just couldn't begin to comprehend a move back to the uk - my weekends would be so boring in comparison..

As for the rain & house price thing, well I don't believe either are any worse than the uk;

Year round average rainfall is similar to the UK. However Vancouver is dryer than the UK during the summer, and wetter in the winter. Plus rain in winter = snow on the mountains = skiing :-) I actually prefer the weather here, although October & November do suck big time!

Its hard to compare houses with the UK.....
Coal harbour (the most expensive part of the city) $600k-$700 will get you a 2 bedroom 1,000 sq foot apartment. That wouldn't buy you much in central London.
North Vancouver (expensive area, easy access to d/town) $700k - 800 will get you a 4 bdrm house.
Coquitlam (suburb with 30 min commute by train) $500k-600 will get you a 4 bdrm house.
Yes, expensive by Canadian standards, but not really in comparison to the London commuter belt, or anywhere else in the south...
Old Sep 24th 2007, 8:31 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

This might be a really dumb question but why would anyone from the UK want to emigrate to a place where a) it rains more than the UK and b) houses are even more expensive than the UK?

Am I missing something? What is the appeal of Vancouver?

It's the BC Bud ! Duh!
Old Sep 24th 2007, 9:04 am
Forum Regular

jasslily is an unknown quantity at this point

You can't comapre London to Vancouver.
I've lived in london for 40 years.
yes it is a nice place but it is extemely dirty compared to Vancouver.
London (u.K) has some nice tourist places but when you start living here you really realise how dirty and old it really is.
Most houses here are over 70 years old, and they actually feel that way when you live in them.
I would say the main difference for a person like me would be the standard of living.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 11:51 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think weather or house prices are the sort of thing that attracts people to Vancouver. But for those that want to live in a city (work opportunities etc), but also want easy access to some of the best skiing, hiking, mt biking etc etc in the world - than it's an amazing place to live. Thats why we moved here... I just couldn't begin to comprehend a move back to the uk - my weekends would be so boring in comparison..

As for the rain & house price thing, well I don't believe either are any worse than the uk;

Year round average rainfall is similar to the UK. However Vancouver is dryer than the UK during the summer, and wetter in the winter. Plus rain in winter = snow on the mountains = skiing :-) I actually prefer the weather here, although October & November do suck big time!
So true Rob_999. We moved here for the fact that we can fill every spare minute with skiing in the winter (makes the rain a positive thing for once when you know that there will be fresh snow waiting for you at the weekend). There are several beaches downtown, plus Stanley Park. 20 min bike ride to 2 amazing sailing clubs (RVYC and Jericho) so we go sailing twice a week after work. Loads of moutain biking and hiking. Evening skiing at Grouse a 30 minute bus ride door to door from my office - yes I bring my skies to work in the winter. The SnowBus up to Whistler every weekend in the winter. We both have well paid desk jobs to afford all the Gortex gear we need.

Property prices comparable to other big cities in the UK, but probably cheaper than London. We live downtown in a relatively residential neighbourhood (West End), which is a 10 minute walk to work in the CBD. Pay $1,000 for a very nice one-bedroom apartment, which is cheaper than our friends in Leeds and Manchester. Walk to work = not having to deal with tube strikes, and TfL etc. for us.

Can you please tell me where we can live in the UK, earn good salaries, have a 10 minute walk to work from a residential area to a CPB, and be able to go skiing after work 30 mins away and at weekends to one of the best ski resorts in the world 2.5 hours away, go sailing 20 mins bike ride away, go to the beach at lunch time from my office to eat my cheap sushi take-out?
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:19 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Forests, mountains etc - I can see the appeal of those - but you don't actually get those things in Vancouver do you?
You can get from downtown Vancouver to the base of Grouse Mountain in less than 30 minutes on transit (bus, seabus, bus) at a cost of $3.25 M-F peak hours or $2.25 at other times. Whilst technically this is in North Vancouver as opposed to Vancouver, the distance is approximately the same as the South Bank Centre to King's Cross (ie walkable if you've got the time and inclination). There are also Mount Seymour (also North Vancouver) and Cypress (West Vancouver) which are both Provincial Parks (plenty of forest) and ski hills. Sadly transit access to these is less good but it is less than 30 minutes by car from downtown (depending on traffic). However, people do die on these mountains each year. They are wilderness areas and should be respected as such. Snow in winter, and this year well into the summer, means that on some routes, hikers are well advised to have and be proficient in the use of crampons and ice axes.

If you really want a forest in the city, the best we can do is Stanley Park. Then there is Pacific Spirit Park up by UBC and the University Endowment Lands. As far as I know, they are all within the city of Vancouver. I would recommend Google Earth for a better look (if you are actually curious).

Then there are the beaches (north or south facing, your choice) complete with outdoor beachside pools (Stanley Park & Kitsilano) and beach volleyball, kayaking from the beach (English Bay or Jericho) or from a marina (Granville Island) or just from a suitable access point (rent from MEC and wheel it away to the water down the street) and sailing. We do see the sun enough in the summer for there to be an ongoing slip, slop, slap campaign at the beaches, parks and open-air pools during the summer months but this year has not exactly been a record-breaker in that respect. If we didn't have the rain, we wouldn't have the rainforest. It is truly beautiful.

It is expensive to live in Vancouver. I do not personally find it much cheaper than the UK. I cannot defend the cost of living here, although I have saved some money through not having to purchase bug repellant, net hats, skeeter vacs etc in order to enjoy the great outdoors on my doorstep. It is a lifestyle choice. Oh yeah, and I won't need to be out shovelling the rain at first light this winter either.

Last edited by acer rose; Sep 24th 2007 at 12:24 pm.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:30 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

All that and the threat of devastation by Earthquake or Tsunami. What's not to like?
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:42 pm
talking Ter Sami

acer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond reputeacer rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
All that and the threat of devastation by Earthquake or Tsunami. What's not to like?
Hmm, perhaps waiting for those hurricane warnings is far less worrisome
Old Sep 24th 2007, 12:54 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by acer rose
Hmm, perhaps waiting for those hurricane warnings is far less worrisome
Don't forget the blizzards and the endless fog. Good job there's no mountains round here, we'd never see 'em!