Wikiposts

Radiographers

Old Jun 21st 2007, 10:39 am
Just Joined

susan is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Radiographers

HI, I was wondering if anyone could help please. My Daughter will finish her degree in radiography next June as we will hopefully be making the move to Burlington Ont. Does anyone know if she will automatically have her degree recognised, or will she have to do some sort of exam. Also any info on working conditions for radiographers in comparison to the U.K. would be helpful.
Thanks Susan.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:00 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Radiographers

Originally Posted by susan
HI, I was wondering if anyone could help please. My Daughter will finish her degree in radiography next June as we will hopefully be making the move to Burlington Ont. Does anyone know if she will automatically have her degree recognised, or will she have to do some sort of exam. Also any info on working conditions for radiographers in comparison to the U.K. would be helpful.
Thanks Susan.
http://www.citizenship.gov.on.ca/eng...radtechs.shtml
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:18 pm
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road

Thanks Susan.
Can't help with your question but whereabouts in Burlington are you headed?
We're off to The Orchard in 2 weeks.
Old Jun 21st 2007, 11:58 pm
Just Joined

Hoping for Tyandaga or Roseland. All depends on the house prices.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:01 am
Living the Life at Last

iambof is on a distinguished road

Don't get too close to Hamilton.
Better at Oakville side but obviously pricier houses.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:03 am
Just Joined

If my memory serves me right, the Orchard is near to Oakville? Good luck with the move.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:27 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Susan.
Hi, I am a radiographer, now an x-ray tech.

YOur daughter has to apply to CMRTO to get her UK degree recognised. CMRTO is the Ontario equivalent to the HPC. The relevant pages are here

http://www.cmrto.org/registration/international.asp

Once she has done that and taken a CPR certificate then she can apply to take the CAMRT exam. This is multiple choice, Two 3 hour exams. You can take the exams in the UK, it costs more and you have to arrange your own exam room and invigilator. My employers were happy to do this on my day off. There are 3 sittings a year and you need to plan ahead to register

http://www.camrt.ca/english/certific...bility_req.asp

They need 1 years work experience before you can take the exam, i presume you can use your student hours as this is a minimum of 2000 hours which is just over a years work at 37.5 hours a week.

Once qualified you then must register with CMRTO, thats $360 a year. You can register with OAMRT/CAMRT too, its recommended as you can get indemnity insurance through them. Thats $200 a year plus insurance,

Once you start working the pay is much better than the UK. Hours are 37.5. MRTs dont have as much autonomy as in the UK, there is no advanced practice such as reporting or even red dot work. They take many unnecessary views, such as lateral chests, oblique knees, fingers, ankles, erect abdomen. So the work can be physically harder and frustrating as you know its unnecessary radiation to the patient and would be criminal in the UK.

But the people are fun and you get to wear scrubs all the time!

PLease email me if you have any more questions

Last edited by daft batty; Jun 22nd 2007 at 12:34 am. Reason: missed a bit
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:33 am

Originally Posted by batty-x-ray
lateral chests, oblique knees, fingers, ankles, erect abdomen.
Sounds grisly.

BTW, one of your colleagues once caused me the most intense pain I have ever felt.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:40 am
BE Forum Addict

daft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond reputedaft batty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Sounds grisly.

BTW, one of your colleagues once caused me the most intense pain I have ever felt.
I know, you told me. Maybe it was for your own good.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:42 am

I know, you told me. Maybe it was for your own good.
Nah. I think it was PMS.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Nah. I think it was PMS.
You have PMS?? still at your age. It does explain a lot though
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:46 am

You have PMS?? still at your age. It does explain a lot though
I'm a bloke. So, yes, I do suffer from PMS.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:49 am
BE Forum Addict

I'm a bloke. So, yes, I do suffer from PMS.
good
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:52 am

good
To get slightly back on-topic, are MRI scans even done under general anaesthetic or sedation?
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 12:58 am
BE Forum Addict

To get slightly back on-topic, are MRI scans even done under general anaesthetic or sedation?
yes they are. Light sedation is fairly frequent, radiographers at my last place would get nervous people to come in before their scans to have a look at the scanner, meet the staff and hear an explanation of whats going to happen. in the majority of cases the patient decided they didnt need sedation. But if they did then they were usually given valium or something. GAs are done, obviously using MRI compatable equipment. Not very often but it does happen

PS, I think i would need sedation, dont like things close to my face

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.