Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Radio equivalents

Radio equivalents

Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:31 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Radio equivalents

Never listened to radio in UK, and continue not to do so here. That's what iPods are for.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 2:47 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

I was a five-live fan.

Not for the sport. The morning news was less stuffy than "Today" and the stuff on through the night was wonderful for going to sleep to or when waking up, turning on and going back to sleep to. Or for just lying there listening to it.

The nearest to it here is local radio but at night right through to the morning it broadcasts ESPN Radio. All that American sport

But at least it bores you to sleep.

At weekends you get repeats of the programs they did in the previous week. Quite bizarre waking up on a Saturday and hear them talking about school closures or something happening that day that you know was three days earlier.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:00 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
OK, so I know we're not in Canada yet, but I would welcome your thoughts.

I am a keen radio listener - particularly Radio 4 and Radio 2. I know I will be able to access these via the website/internet radio from Canada, but I wondered if what equivalents there are in Canada? We'll be in and around Vancouver, so I expect a bit of local interest would be useful too.

As I have internet radio here, what can I listen to in order to prepare for my transition? Is there an equivalent of John Humphrys in Canada? Is there a music station like Radio 2?

Any hints and tips would be welcome!
Internet for English stuff, podcasts for English stuff while driving. Canadian radio is complete crap.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:06 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Canadian radio is complete crap.
I'll say one thing for it. It plays the stuff I wanted to hear in the late 60s, early 70s but either didn't get airplay or did but well past my bedtime.

To hear Joe Walsh or Steely Dan (as well as more up to date Rock) while shopping is still fun compared to that elevator music they used in Victor Value or the middle of the road stuff that was common even in 2004.

Maybe it was just Bristol but the usual xmas stuff (do they know it's xmas, simply having a wonderful xmas time) was about as progressive as it got.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

HI there,

Very interesting thread.
I am moving to Toronto in a couple of months, I want to listen via internet radio as I don't always want to listen via the computer ? Is it worth buying an internet radio from the UK ( can use a transformer) and have wi fi connection or buy one from Toronto ?

I listen to the radio alot at home, I know I am sad but I like Capital Gold, radio 2 and the talking stations Talksport (want to catch up with EPL and Champion league on weeknights and the weekends), BBC radio 5 live and BBC 94.9 Londonlive and LBC. Would I be able to get the latter 2 stations ?

Cheers !

Last edited by Maria_747; Mar 12th 2011 at 1:34 pm.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:00 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

The local "big" station here (91.7 the bounce) still regularly plays "It Wasnt Me' by Shaggy.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:08 pm
Just Joined

rosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nicerosspcs is just really nice

Originally Posted by Maria_747
HI there,

Very interesting thread.
I am moving to Toronto in a couple of months, I want to listen via internet radio as I don't always want to listen via the computer ? Is it worth buying an internet radio from the UK ( can use a transformer) and have wi fi connection or buy one from Toronto ?

I listen to the radio alot at home, I know I am sad but I like Capital Gold, radio 2 and the talking stations Talksport (want to catch up with EPL and Champion league on weeknights and the weekends), BBC radio 5 live and BBC 94.9 Londonlive and LBC. Would I be able to get the latter 2 stations ?

Cheers !
Buying internet radio in the UK wont help, BBC and many others currently block broadcasting to noth america this is supposed to change with a subscription option for iplayer.
Your best option is something like an itouch\iphone which will run most of the available music broadcast apps and the best way i have found is with sirius they have an app for the itouch etc and they play time shifted radio 1
Old Mar 12th 2011, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Maria_747 will become famous soon enoughMaria_747 will become famous soon enough

rosspcs
Many thanks for the info. I have to get a canadian mobile contract when I get there, I will try and opt for an iphone, then
Old Mar 12th 2011, 4:39 pm
Adapting slowly...

Funky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of lightFunky Florist is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone for the hints and tips - seems like Radio 4 might be one of the things I miss! I currently use the Reciva app on my iPod and that will still give me access in Canada. However, thanks to you all, I now have a wide selection of radio stations to try. It'll all add to the adventure!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Funky Florist
seems like Radio 4 might be one of the things I miss!

u can listen to Radio 4 online....there are plenty of gadgets out there to help you listen to UK radio stations, I listen to Virgin, ooops its absolute now, I either take my laptop round the house with me or sit my iphone in its speaker dock in the kitchen or out on the decking, you can download the podcasts, or u can listen again or listen live on the BBC website!!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Monique_in_Canada
u can listen to Radio 4 online....there are plenty of gadgets out there to help you listen to UK radio stations, I listen to Virgin, ooops its absolute now, I either take my laptop round the house with me or sit my iphone in its speaker dock in the kitchen or out on the decking, you can download the podcasts, or u can listen again or listen live on the BBC website!!
I do this, I've got a portable one I use for when I'm out and about.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 9:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Monique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to beholdMonique_in_Canada is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Oink
I do this, I've got a portable one I use for when I'm out and about.
its quite bizarre to be driving up the road listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon on radio 2 in the morning hearing about all the traffic problems in London while in Canada...I love it!!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:21 pm
Forum Regular

NoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really niceNoreenC is just really nice

its quite bizarre to be driving up the road listening to Steve Wright in the afternoon on radio 2 in the morning hearing about all the traffic problems in London while in Canada...I love it!!
I know what you mean. Right now, I'm listening to 'Somerset Sound' online and enjoying Graham Torrington's Saturday Night Love Songs - great music! As you say, it can be quite bizarre when I hear what the roads etc are like in Somerset. I can see Somerset, the M5 and the Levels in my mind's eye quite clearly, and like you, I love it:-)!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NoreenC
Right now, I'm listening to 'Somerset Sound' online and enjoying Graham Torrington's Saturday Night Love Songs -
blimey is he still going...he was on the radio when I left in 2001, giving loadsa drunk people relationship advice!!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

The oddest thing is that the weather forecast is as much use as the one's on the local stations. "Lot of snow" someone will say in the lift. "No warning on the radio" I'll respond. And we'll agree. I, of course, speak of Radio 1 or the World Service and they of the CBC or similar.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.