Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:23 pm
  #136  
Dive Bar Drunk
 
JamesM's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2006
Location: Toronto
Posts: 8,240
JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by withabix View Post
I'm not saying it's right, but a lot of people do it (use an English name, that is).
Originally Posted by Nuckynoo View Post
Hi

My husband has been searching for a job for over a year in the Provinces on Alberta & Saskatchewan. He has sent off his CV ( portfolio ) to countless employees and had one unsuccessful interview. We sought advice and guidance from an employment office in Alberta who admitted that there are a lot of racist issues when choosing new employees.

My husband is a Level 3 City & Guilds Plumber/ Gas fitted with over 10 years of experience. He is British Egyptian Muslim.

All his papers in order and he is ready to work.

Is anyone else in the same situation ?



Thanks

Naomi
This.

Your biggest problem is you don't have an address in Canada and people are reluctant to embark on a lengthy hiring process with someone who may not even qualify.

Secondly I remember after 9/11 in the UK a chap I work with changing his name to Andre instead of Mohammed so people would do business with him.

Lastly (and at this stage unrelated to the initial thread query) I work at a recruitment firm in Downtown Toronto and sadly immigrants are dismissed all the time due to "cultural fit", "comms" and "over qualification". I see stronger immigrant resumes overlooked frequently for locals.

It's hard to compare Toronto on other places. London for all intensive purposes has far more companies and work opportunities and the war for talent is more fierce. If anything I think market forces has made it less bigoted in terms of hiring.

If professional advancement is important to your life you only really want to pick Canada if you are addressing a proven skill shortage.

London, New York, Paris and more significant G7/ G8 (or what ever they call themselves) or even fast growth Developing world countries will trump it every time other wise.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 28th 2015 at 4:27 pm.
JamesM is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:28 pm
  #137  
Binned by Muderators
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,631
JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass View Post
thank you. I used UKIP because my brother and girlfriend (both in UK) said the UKIP was very anti-immigrant, but maybe that's just in their area.
UKIP is anti-immigrant. The party was founded as an anti immigrant party. It is the whole reason for its existence. Sure, they also want to stop any foreigners having a say in running the UK and have developed a broader platform. It doesn't mean that the people who vote for them don't know exactly what they are voting for. Anyone who suggests that UKIP have a political legitimacy beyond an anti-immigrant popularism is being disingenuous.
JonboyE is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:37 pm
  #138  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by JonboyE View Post
UKIP is anti-immigrant. The party was founded as an anti immigrant party. It is the whole reason for its existence. Sure, they also want to stop any foreigners having a say in running the UK and have developed a broader platform. It doesn't mean that the people who vote for them don't know exactly what they are voting for. Anyone who suggests that UKIP have a political legitimacy beyond an anti-immigrant popularism is being disingenuous.
And in particular, immigrants from Europe over whom the UK has no control. I haven't heard about them campaigning against black or brown Poles but not against white Poles.

As, it would appear, you don't vote for them, how do you know what beliefs their supporters have? If they are simply racists, opinion polls would suggest that there are huge numbers of racists in the UK.
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:49 pm
  #139  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,713
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian View Post
And in particular, immigrants from Europe over whom the UK has no control. I haven't heard about them campaigning against black or brown Poles but not against white Poles.

As, it would appear, you don't vote for them, how do you know what beliefs their supporters have? If they are simply racists, opinion polls would suggest that there are huge numbers of racists in the UK.
Yes, their main platform is to regain border and legislation control from Europe.

I don't think they are inherently racist, but they do seem to attract the anti-foreigner brigade and assorted other loons.

Somebody on the radio today made the point that British public is not so much concerned about levels of immigration as levels of population.
Shard is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:52 pm
  #140  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Almost Canadian's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: South of Calgary
Posts: 13,043
Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Yes, their main platform is to regain border and legislation control from Europe.

I don't think they are inherently racist, but they do seem to attract the anti-foreigner brigade and assorted other loons.
A bit like the SNP then?

Originally Posted by Shard View Post
Somebody on the radio today made the point that British public is not so much concerned about levels of immigration as levels of population.
That was my understanding too. It's unfortunate that the first directly affects the second.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Apr 28th 2015 at 7:17 pm.
Almost Canadian is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:09 pm
  #141  
slanderer of the innocent
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,695
ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

wow, they sound very enlightened. light years ahead of canada
ExKiwilass is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:39 pm
  #142  
BE Enthusiast
 
Juggernaut1064's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 685
Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Yes very enlightened, enlightened enough NOT to deliberately take an aboriginal indian guy many miles out of edmonton in winter and kick him out of the police cruiser and leave him to die, and then allow those policemen to carry on with their careers. The list of abuse against aboriginals is endless and no english cops don't get away with crap like that.
Juggernaut1064 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 7:27 pm
  #143  
Lost in BE Cyberspace
 
Jsmth321's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 26,817
Jsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond reputeJsmth321 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064 View Post
Yes very enlightened, enlightened enough NOT to deliberately take an aboriginal indian guy many miles out of edmonton in winter and kick him out of the police cruiser and leave him to die, and then allow those policemen to carry on with their careers. The list of abuse against aboriginals is endless and no english cops don't get away with crap like that.
The natives of North America got a raw deal and have never been treated well. They seem to be treated far worse in Canada for some reason, the US tribes have their issues, but overall the racism towards natives seems a lot higher in Canada.
Jsmth321 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:24 pm
  #144  
slanderer of the innocent
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,695
ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

i really think it depends where you are. canada is a very big place.
ExKiwilass is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:50 pm
  #145  
BE Enthusiast
 
Juggernaut1064's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Edmonton AB
Posts: 685
Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass View Post
i really think it depends where you are. canada is a very big place.
I have lived in MB and now in AB and both places treat aboriginals like crap.
Thousands of Aboriginal women Canada wide have gone missing, their disappearances are not investigated and thats a well known fact canada wide.
What other modern country could have so many women disappear and nothing is or was done about it ???????


http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/ca...port-1.2989320

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Apr 28th 2015 at 10:56 pm.
Juggernaut1064 is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:51 pm
  #146  
Stand-up Philosopher
 
caretaker's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Regina and Oliver
Posts: 14,353
caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

The deliberate campaign of genocide against American Indians by the US Army in the 1800's (they freely admitted that getting rid of the buffalo was the main tool for getting rid of the Indians), sets their history apart from ours. When there were no more buffalo to hunt the Plains Indians here had no choice but to take treaty as well and the transition didn't go well for a variety of reasons. I'm only familiar with Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 because that's my part of Canada but I know that land claims are still being settled all over the country and some are disputed.
Aside from the Beothuks of Newfoundland which became extinct in 1829 the methods of subjugation employed here generally weren't as violent. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee chronicles massacre after massacre committed to facilitate manifest destiny (let's just call it stealing land). The residential school system of forced assimilation which robbed Indian people here of their culture existed in the US as well. Not only people my age but some I know who are far younger were forced to go through it. If I had my way all immigrants would have to pass a test about First Nations history and treaty rights.
Is that a rant? I hope not.
I knew one of the policemen involved in the Stonechild Inquiry case and he never was anything but self-important trash - even had the gall to ask for his job back when he should of been behind bars.
ps: I live squarely in the middle of North Central Regina and all the people who run it down because mostly natives live here can bite me. There are a lot of wonderful native people here.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 28th 2015 at 11:00 pm.
caretaker is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:34 pm
  #147  
slanderer of the innocent
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,695
ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064 View Post
I have lived in MB and now in AB and both places treat aboriginals like crap.
Thousands of Aboriginal women Canada wide have gone missing, their disappearances are not investigated and thats a well known fact canada wide.
What other modern country could have so many women disappear and nothing is or was done about it ???????


Canada commits 'grave violation' of rights of aboriginal women: UN report - Aboriginal - CBC

lots of canadians want an inquiry into this, it's the Conservatives that won't budge, but y'know what, i don't want to get into a silly google link debate about whose country is better for diversity. there is plenty the UK has done, and continues to do, that is not that great either. As I said before, 2 very different countries with very different histories. I don't consider the UK more enlightened at all - nor do I consider Caanda more enlightened.
ExKiwilass is offline  
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:43 pm
  #148  
slanderer of the innocent
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 6,695
ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The deliberate campaign of genocide against American Indians by the US Army in the 1800's (they freely admitted that getting rid of the buffalo was the main tool for getting rid of the Indians), sets their history apart from ours. When there were no more buffalo to hunt the Plains Indians here had no choice but to take treaty as well and the transition didn't go well for a variety of reasons. I'm only familiar with Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 because that's my part of Canada but I know that land claims are still being settled all over the country and some are disputed.
Aside from the Beothuks of Newfoundland which became extinct in 1829 the methods of subjugation employed here generally weren't as violent. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee chronicles massacre after massacre committed to facilitate manifest destiny (let's just call it stealing land). The residential school system of forced assimilation which robbed Indian people here of their culture existed in the US as well. Not only people my age but some I know who are far younger were forced to go through it. If I had my way all immigrants would have to pass a test about First Nations history and treaty rights.
Is that a rant? I hope not.
I knew one of the policemen involved in the Stonechild Inquiry case and he never was anything but self-important trash - even had the gall to ask for his job back when he should of been behind bars.
ps: I live squarely in the middle of North Central Regina and all the people who run it down because mostly natives live here can bite me. There are a lot of wonderful native people here.
truthfully colonization has been very bad for the indigenous peoples - whether in australia, canada, nz or the us. But what I find strange is how british immigrants to those places now act as if their own country had nothing to do with that colonization and thus the treatment of the indigenous people, as if they're some enlightened race now smelling of roses. The British Empire included Australia, Canada and NZ and once the US too. Britain facilitated ethnic British immigrants coming over and pushing indigenous people from their lands. British and european money financed settlement, companies, exploited natural resources. and british and european religious groups set up the schools that abused indigenous children. And most of the treaties aren't worth the paper they are written on - the crown has rarely if ever acted with honesty or integrity when it comes to indigenous people, something the descendants of settlers are trying to deal with now with mixed success. And then there's the trans-atlantic slave trade. is Britain planning to pay reparations? oh didn't think so.

So spare us the bleating. Your people are part of this too.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 28th 2015 at 11:46 pm.
ExKiwilass is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:30 am
  #149  
BE Forum Addict
 
Joined: Feb 2013
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 3,272
scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

don't forget the part that British colonization played in Africa .......

......... a large part of the problem of those nations had in becoming self-governing was the treatment they had received from the colonizers and the lack of training locals received.

It was the same attitude as displayed in Canada, OZ, etc ................ take everything and send immigrants to take over the land.


NZ is in a slightly better position ............. the Maoris did sign some good treaties which have held up, and seem to have escaped many of the problems of the First Nations here and elsewhere.
scilly is offline  
Old Apr 29th 2015, 12:40 am
  #150  
F.orum Ape
 
Shard's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: UK
Posts: 20,713
Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by caretaker View Post
The deliberate campaign of genocide against American Indians by the US Army in the 1800's (they freely admitted that getting rid of the buffalo was the main tool for getting rid of the Indians), sets their history apart from ours. When there were no more buffalo to hunt the Plains Indians here had no choice but to take treaty as well and the transition didn't go well for a variety of reasons. I'm only familiar with Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 because that's my part of Canada but I know that land claims are still being settled all over the country and some are disputed.
Aside from the Beothuks of Newfoundland which became extinct in 1829 the methods of subjugation employed here generally weren't as violent. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee chronicles massacre after massacre committed to facilitate manifest destiny (let's just call it stealing land). The residential school system of forced assimilation which robbed Indian people here of their culture existed in the US as well. Not only people my age but some I know who are far younger were forced to go through it. If I had my way all immigrants would have to pass a test about First Nations history and treaty rights.
natives live here can bite me. There are a lot of wonderful native people here.


Not only immigrants but all Canadians should be educated on FN history in a coherent way. Not sure what they youngsters are being taught now, obviously something, but there does not seem to be a general Canadian narrative. Perhaps to be expected given the tribal nature of FN and geography.
Shard is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.