Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 30th 2015, 3:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
It may well be the role of the Chief to ensure the well-being of the band. But the evidence is not very strong that they are all fulfilling that role effectively. There are too many stories of financial mismanagement, of funds going missing or being appropriated for other things, of a general lack of transparency in fiscal and other governance matters. Too many FN families are still living in substandard housing, despite resources being made available for maintenance, renovations and new dwellings.

ll.
Very well expressed.

The interesting thing I picked up in Caretaker's Treaty 6 link is that the FN at the time seemed to be a far more pragmatic people than they are now. They recognised their environmental change and were seeking economic and social solutions. Admittedly the solutions of much of the twentieth century were ranging from inadequate to immoral, but this was clearly recognised forty years ago, and one wonders why so little of Chief Okemow's threatened progress has happened.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 3:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

You can't simply point out financial mis-management (and nepotism) without recognising the surge in First Nations business development and the growing demographic of natives entering the workforce through trades training programs as well as partnership with resource based companies in the north which are bringing employment to some reserves which had no real industry in the past outside of traditional enterprises. Those things don't necessarily mean abandoning culture or history or treaty rights either and I think they work best when they go hand in hand. I mentioned Ovide Mercredi even though he hasn't been head of the Assembly of First Nations since 1997 because he did a lot to introduce the concept of native self government (and standing up to Federal mis-management along with Elijah Harper) and that is largely what empowers the progress we're seeing today (Mercredi is now president of the New Democratic Party in Manitoba). Having a corrupt First Nations senator like Brazeau didn't help the image of native politicians and I wouldn't call that progress but remember who's appointee he was. There are large reserves near Regina that have had big successful farming operations since I was a little kid and the FNUC (formerly Saskatchewan Indian Federated College) cranks out graduates into professions that used to rarely be accessible to natives. You have to get rid of out-dated misconceptions in order to make room for the future.
Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:17 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
You can't simply point out financial mis-management (and nepotism) without recognising the surge in First Nations business development and the growing demographic of natives entering the workforce through trades training programs as well as partnership with resource based companies in the north which are bringing employment to some reserves which had no real industry in the past outside of traditional enterprises. Those things don't necessarily mean abandoning culture or history or treaty rights either and I think they work best when they go hand in hand. I mentioned Ovide Mercredi even though he hasn't been head of the Assembly of First Nations since 1997 because he did a lot to introduce the concept of native self government (and standing up to Federal mis-management along with Elijah Harper) and that is largely what empowers the progress we're seeing today (Mercredi is now president of the New Democratic Party in Manitoba). Having a corrupt First Nations senator like Brazeau didn't help the image of native politicians and I wouldn't call that progress but remember who's appointee he was. There are large reserves near Regina that have had big successful farming operations since I was a little kid and the FNUC (formerly Saskatchewan Indian Federated College) cranks out graduates into professions that used to rarely be accessible to natives. You have to get rid of out-dated misconceptions in order to make room for the future.
Good points all. It is surely not a coincidence that the successes (FNUC, farming operatiosn in Sask) tend to be those programs that have just quietly got on with it, whereas the loudest noises (Teresa Spence and the Attawapiskat housing crisis springs to mind instantly) do little but highlight the fact that there's more heat than light...
Old Apr 30th 2015, 4:38 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Thinking on further on this, perhaps the Feds could cede further territory to the various FN as full and final settlement of all past obligations. I'm thinking a vast tract of land with plenty of lakes and rivers, and somewhere central where FN could move to and have a fresh start. The obvious choice is the province of Manitoba as few other Canadians would miss it. (a joke folks).
Old May 4th 2015, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

AncasterBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

You will tend to find that, unless you have a rare & desirable skill set, Canadian companies are not prepared to go through the effort and endure the uncertainty of hiring/sponsoring a foreigner. Especially, when they can hire someone locally much more quickly. I know that, in theory, it can be done, its just unlikely.
Old May 4th 2015, 3:55 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AncasterBrit
Especially, when they can hire someone locally much more quickly
The whole point of they system is to only hire TFW when the skills are not domestically available, so if there is someone local they can hire, they won't be able to hire a TFW anyway.
Old May 10th 2015, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

pacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the roughpacepeter is a jewel in the rough

If he is still looking a great place to work and they are always looking is the Fairmount hotel in lake Louise I worked there as a plumber
Because of its location no CANADIANS want to work there
Old May 12th 2015, 10:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pacepeter
If he is still looking a great place to work and they are always looking is the Fairmount hotel in lake Louise I worked there as a plumber
Because of its location no CANADIANS want to work there

Not true. Well technically not Canadian, but a PR of Canada, I applied there several times and never got so much as a reply. (for front desk and night audit)

So there was at least one almost Canadian who did want to work there, ditto with Banf.

I don't now however want to work there as I am not longer single.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; May 12th 2015 at 10:40 am.
Old May 12th 2015, 2:50 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

So there was at least one almost Canadian who did want to work there, ditto with Banf.
It could be that resort hotels have a high turnover in desk clerks and auditors and receive a lot of applications (like they do for extra seasonal employees which are coveted jobs) but for a journeyman plumber like the OP or pacepeter the earning potential working in a hotel maintenance department like the Fairmont or Banff Springs and higher cost of living in a resort town versus potential salary in a union company anywhere else doesn't make it especially attractive.
Old May 13th 2015, 2:19 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

We've used the same plumbing firm at the factory for some years now. A new guy was sent to do a bit of work for us today. He was called Abdul or Abdullah (something like that). His English was pretty good and he'd come from the Middle East a few years ago. He was new to the firm and was really enjoying it there. He said he liked the atmosphere and got on well with the other guys.

The point is, I presume he is eligible to work in Canada (obviously his actual status is no business of mine). He said he had 2 interviews (well one really then met the main man) and was offered the post. I was curious about the ease of his hiring from recalling this thread. He never referred to racism or "the other 100 jobs where he didn't get a look in". The main reason the OP's hubby isn't getting anywhere as far as I can see is that they aren't in a position to work here. Who knows, maybe their resume just isn't what is in demand. It doesn't have to be racially motivated (as the thread title would imply).
Old May 26th 2015, 3:13 am
Just Joined

Nelju is an unknown quantity at this point

In Calgary you can see lots of hate from Calgarians. In my experience canadians from other provinces are generally very friendly and good people, but the ones born and raised in Calgary are different: rude, obnoxious, arrogant and hateful.
Old May 26th 2015, 9:32 am
Yo

Originally Posted by Nelju
In Calgary you can see lots of hate from Calgarians. In my experience canadians from other provinces are generally very friendly and good people, but the ones born and raised in Calgary are different: rude, obnoxious, arrogant and hateful.
What a generalisation. You need to meet more people.
Old May 27th 2015, 12:22 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that mix everywhere - not just Calgary...people are people the world over.

What's that Nietzsche quote, “Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.”