Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:23 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by withabix
I'm not saying it's right, but a lot of people do it (use an English name, that is).
Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
Hi

My husband has been searching for a job for over a year in the Provinces on Alberta & Saskatchewan. He has sent off his CV ( portfolio ) to countless employees and had one unsuccessful interview. We sought advice and guidance from an employment office in Alberta who admitted that there are a lot of racist issues when choosing new employees.

My husband is a Level 3 City & Guilds Plumber/ Gas fitted with over 10 years of experience. He is British Egyptian Muslim.

All his papers in order and he is ready to work.

Is anyone else in the same situation ?

Thanks

Naomi
This.

Your biggest problem is you don't have an address in Canada and people are reluctant to embark on a lengthy hiring process with someone who may not even qualify.

Secondly I remember after 9/11 in the UK a chap I work with changing his name to Andre instead of Mohammed so people would do business with him.

Lastly (and at this stage unrelated to the initial thread query) I work at a recruitment firm in Downtown Toronto and sadly immigrants are dismissed all the time due to "cultural fit", "comms" and "over qualification". I see stronger immigrant resumes overlooked frequently for locals.

It's hard to compare Toronto on other places. London for all intensive purposes has far more companies and work opportunities and the war for talent is more fierce. If anything I think market forces has made it less bigoted in terms of hiring.

If professional advancement is important to your life you only really want to pick Canada if you are addressing a proven skill shortage.

London, New York, Paris and more significant G7/ G8 (or what ever they call themselves) or even fast growth Developing world countries will trump it every time other wise.

Last edited by JamesM; Apr 28th 2015 at 3:27 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 3:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
thank you. I used UKIP because my brother and girlfriend (both in UK) said the UKIP was very anti-immigrant, but maybe that's just in their area.
UKIP is anti-immigrant. The party was founded as an anti immigrant party. It is the whole reason for its existence. Sure, they also want to stop any foreigners having a say in running the UK and have developed a broader platform. It doesn't mean that the people who vote for them don't know exactly what they are voting for. Anyone who suggests that UKIP have a political legitimacy beyond an anti-immigrant popularism is being disingenuous.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
UKIP is anti-immigrant. The party was founded as an anti immigrant party. It is the whole reason for its existence. Sure, they also want to stop any foreigners having a say in running the UK and have developed a broader platform. It doesn't mean that the people who vote for them don't know exactly what they are voting for. Anyone who suggests that UKIP have a political legitimacy beyond an anti-immigrant popularism is being disingenuous.
And in particular, immigrants from Europe over whom the UK has no control. I haven't heard about them campaigning against black or brown Poles but not against white Poles.

As, it would appear, you don't vote for them, how do you know what beliefs their supporters have? If they are simply racists, opinion polls would suggest that there are huge numbers of racists in the UK.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:49 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
And in particular, immigrants from Europe over whom the UK has no control. I haven't heard about them campaigning against black or brown Poles but not against white Poles.

As, it would appear, you don't vote for them, how do you know what beliefs their supporters have? If they are simply racists, opinion polls would suggest that there are huge numbers of racists in the UK.
Yes, their main platform is to regain border and legislation control from Europe.

I don't think they are inherently racist, but they do seem to attract the anti-foreigner brigade and assorted other loons.

Somebody on the radio today made the point that British public is not so much concerned about levels of immigration as levels of population.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 4:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shard
Yes, their main platform is to regain border and legislation control from Europe.

I don't think they are inherently racist, but they do seem to attract the anti-foreigner brigade and assorted other loons.
A bit like the SNP then?

Originally Posted by Shard
Somebody on the radio today made the point that British public is not so much concerned about levels of immigration as levels of population.
That was my understanding too. It's unfortunate that the first directly affects the second.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Apr 28th 2015 at 6:17 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:09 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

wow, they sound very enlightened. light years ahead of canada
Old Apr 28th 2015, 5:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes very enlightened, enlightened enough NOT to deliberately take an aboriginal indian guy many miles out of edmonton in winter and kick him out of the police cruiser and leave him to die, and then allow those policemen to carry on with their careers. The list of abuse against aboriginals is endless and no english cops don't get away with crap like that.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 6:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
Yes very enlightened, enlightened enough NOT to deliberately take an aboriginal indian guy many miles out of edmonton in winter and kick him out of the police cruiser and leave him to die, and then allow those policemen to carry on with their careers. The list of abuse against aboriginals is endless and no english cops don't get away with crap like that.
The natives of North America got a raw deal and have never been treated well. They seem to be treated far worse in Canada for some reason, the US tribes have their issues, but overall the racism towards natives seems a lot higher in Canada.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 8:24 pm

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

i really think it depends where you are. canada is a very big place.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
i really think it depends where you are. canada is a very big place.
I have lived in MB and now in AB and both places treat aboriginals like crap.
Thousands of Aboriginal women Canada wide have gone missing, their disappearances are not investigated and thats a well known fact canada wide.
What other modern country could have so many women disappear and nothing is or was done about it ???????

http://www.cbc.ca/news/aboriginal/ca...port-1.2989320

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Apr 28th 2015 at 9:56 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 9:51 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

The deliberate campaign of genocide against American Indians by the US Army in the 1800's (they freely admitted that getting rid of the buffalo was the main tool for getting rid of the Indians), sets their history apart from ours. When there were no more buffalo to hunt the Plains Indians here had no choice but to take treaty as well and the transition didn't go well for a variety of reasons. I'm only familiar with Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 because that's my part of Canada but I know that land claims are still being settled all over the country and some are disputed.
Aside from the Beothuks of Newfoundland which became extinct in 1829 the methods of subjugation employed here generally weren't as violent. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee chronicles massacre after massacre committed to facilitate manifest destiny (let's just call it stealing land). The residential school system of forced assimilation which robbed Indian people here of their culture existed in the US as well. Not only people my age but some I know who are far younger were forced to go through it. If I had my way all immigrants would have to pass a test about First Nations history and treaty rights.
Is that a rant? I hope not.
I knew one of the policemen involved in the Stonechild Inquiry case and he never was anything but self-important trash - even had the gall to ask for his job back when he should of been behind bars.
ps: I live squarely in the middle of North Central Regina and all the people who run it down because mostly natives live here can bite me. There are a lot of wonderful native people here.

Last edited by caretaker; Apr 28th 2015 at 10:00 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
I have lived in MB and now in AB and both places treat aboriginals like crap.
Thousands of Aboriginal women Canada wide have gone missing, their disappearances are not investigated and thats a well known fact canada wide.
What other modern country could have so many women disappear and nothing is or was done about it ???????

Canada commits 'grave violation' of rights of aboriginal women: UN report - Aboriginal - CBC

lots of canadians want an inquiry into this, it's the Conservatives that won't budge, but y'know what, i don't want to get into a silly google link debate about whose country is better for diversity. there is plenty the UK has done, and continues to do, that is not that great either. As I said before, 2 very different countries with very different histories. I don't consider the UK more enlightened at all - nor do I consider Caanda more enlightened.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 10:43 pm

Originally Posted by caretaker
The deliberate campaign of genocide against American Indians by the US Army in the 1800's (they freely admitted that getting rid of the buffalo was the main tool for getting rid of the Indians), sets their history apart from ours. When there were no more buffalo to hunt the Plains Indians here had no choice but to take treaty as well and the transition didn't go well for a variety of reasons. I'm only familiar with Treaty 4 and Treaty 6 because that's my part of Canada but I know that land claims are still being settled all over the country and some are disputed.
Aside from the Beothuks of Newfoundland which became extinct in 1829 the methods of subjugation employed here generally weren't as violent. Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee chronicles massacre after massacre committed to facilitate manifest destiny (let's just call it stealing land). The residential school system of forced assimilation which robbed Indian people here of their culture existed in the US as well. Not only people my age but some I know who are far younger were forced to go through it. If I had my way all immigrants would have to pass a test about First Nations history and treaty rights.
Is that a rant? I hope not.
I knew one of the policemen involved in the Stonechild Inquiry case and he never was anything but self-important trash - even had the gall to ask for his job back when he should of been behind bars.
ps: I live squarely in the middle of North Central Regina and all the people who run it down because mostly natives live here can bite me. There are a lot of wonderful native people here.
truthfully colonization has been very bad for the indigenous peoples - whether in australia, canada, nz or the us. But what I find strange is how british immigrants to those places now act as if their own country had nothing to do with that colonization and thus the treatment of the indigenous people, as if they're some enlightened race now smelling of roses. The British Empire included Australia, Canada and NZ and once the US too. Britain facilitated ethnic British immigrants coming over and pushing indigenous people from their lands. British and european money financed settlement, companies, exploited natural resources. and british and european religious groups set up the schools that abused indigenous children. And most of the treaties aren't worth the paper they are written on - the crown has rarely if ever acted with honesty or integrity when it comes to indigenous people, something the descendants of settlers are trying to deal with now with mixed success. And then there's the trans-atlantic slave trade. is Britain planning to pay reparations? oh didn't think so.

So spare us the bleating. Your people are part of this too.

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 28th 2015 at 10:46 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

don't forget the part that British colonization played in Africa .......

......... a large part of the problem of those nations had in becoming self-governing was the treatment they had received from the colonizers and the lack of training locals received.

It was the same attitude as displayed in Canada, OZ, etc ................ take everything and send immigrants to take over the land.

NZ is in a slightly better position ............. the Maoris did sign some good treaties which have held up, and seem to have escaped many of the problems of the First Nations here and elsewhere.
Old Apr 28th 2015, 11:40 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caretaker
natives live here can bite me. There are a lot of wonderful native people here.

Not only immigrants but all Canadians should be educated on FN history in a coherent way. Not sure what they youngsters are being taught now, obviously something, but there does not seem to be a general Canadian narrative. Perhaps to be expected given the tribal nature of FN and geography.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.