Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by DrealDeel

Thanks to those who recognised the 'ganging up against the outsider' mentality and called it out. I'm looking at you Bats et al!
When someone makes a ridiculous assertion (several actually) they deserve to be called out on it.

As for 'playing the race card', if you read the actual original post and not just the title, that seems an unfair allegation.
No, actually, it is not.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
I am Mohammed the husband.

Canadian employment office replied to us with this email please read it

Hi Mohammed,

You are not too old to work as a plumber. Retirement age in Canada is 65 and most some people work until they're 70 :0)

I've been in this business for many, many years and to be very honest with you, I'm very sad to say that unfortunately some people are racist. It's a terrible thing and I have on several occasions confronted the employers and questioned them on this...so it's just a matter of finding the right employer. The Federal Skilled Trade Class is not a point system so your age will not be a consideration.

I still think the Express Entry is a very good option for you and worth a try.....you will have to have your credentials assessed through ECA and a qualifying agency. And, you will have to have a language test, but we will advise you on all of that.

Let us know if we can help, and in the meantime I will keep looking for an employer.

Thank you for your patience...

I know one thing about Canada ( its a lovely country with lovely people )
My heart is on Canada every time I look up the country, I feel very happy about the country.

I moved to the UK in 1996, I have faced racism, but it never gave me a hard time, as my personality and my hard work changed peoples opinion about me and people began to respect me for who I am

Thanks ppl

I call BS on that letter.

First of all, no government employee would be so stupid as to put that in a letter. Second, the way in which it is worded doesn't make sense - comments about alleged racism and the federal skilled trade class do not belong in the same paragraph.

Until you scan that letter and post the image here I refuse to believe it.

As for you finding a job here - you are not legally entitled to work here which puts you out of the running right off the bat. And if you haven't done the Red Seal process I doubt you are even qualified to work here which is another major knock against you.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:40 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

First of all, no government employee would be so stupid as to put that in a letter. Second, the way in which it is worded doesn't make sense - comments about alleged racism and the federal skilled trade class do not belong in the same paragraph.

As for you finding a job here - you are not legally entitled to work here which puts you out of the running right off the bat. And if you haven't done the Red Seal process I doubt you are even qualified to work here which is another major knock against you.
Who said it was a government employment office?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:45 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Get a life and don't be so bitter. As I found on my own Caniversary thread on employment members are very quick here to start judging the honesty of newbies rather than listen to what they have to say. There were a couple on that thread who implied that because events had not happened to them then I must be dishonest but I didn't bite the bullet. Just because you have not witnessed something first hand does not mean it does not happen. It may of not happened when you immigrated but things change.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:46 pm
Patricia Parker

Patricia Parker is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't have the ability to work in Canada, no one is going to take the time. That is a large headline without basis. Yes, there are racists in Canada. No, this is probably not a racial issue.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:47 pm
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Oh give it a rest will you?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 6:11 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

I have missed out on this one!

My 10c worth, there are racists everywhere, racist employers, employees, individuals. There is discrimination everywhere, ability, disability, age, race, religion.

It is very easy to throw the discrimination card out there when one is having a hard time, but one also needs to be realistic and examine the whole picture. We for example, we hire people of all ages, ethnic backgrounds, disabilities and so on, provided they can do the job. However if someone is not legally entitled to work in Canada and/or is not qualified in Canada to do a job, we won't look at them any further. We will always seek Canadians for employment, nothing racist about it, we will turn away any foreign application no matter where it comes from.

I would suspect racist employers in Canada are the minority and no higher proportion then the UK, US, Aus or Middle East. I bumped into racism against Europeans in my past career, it is everywhere and human nature.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 7:13 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Patricia Parker
Yes, there are racists in Canada. No, this is probably not a racial issue.
What PP said.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aviator
It is very easy to throw the discrimination card out there when one is having a hard time, but one also needs to be realistic and examine the whole picture.
And Aviator, and Jonboy etc etc.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 9:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

When someone makes a ridiculous assertion (several actually) they deserve to be called out on it.
Ridiculous for you maybe, are you an ethnic or do you use a foreign name? Like Xiao Wei or Abdalla Mustafa or Amit Kallayil?

Agree that race is not the issue here, but to say asking about discrimination is "ridiculous", I think, is not fair.

Where I am (in Can-Can) race is not the issue.

Jonboy, PP and Aviator make good points above. That seems more realistic and rounded.

Had a bad day? Go for a walk, colchar

Last edited by dishwashing; Apr 25th 2015 at 9:49 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:09 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
Ridiculous for you maybe, are you an ethnic or do you use a foreign name? Like Xiao Wei or Abdalla Mustafa or Amit Kallayil?

Agree that race is not the issue here, but to say asking about discrimination is "ridiculous", I think, is not fair.

Where I am (in Can-Can) race is not the issue.

Jonboy, PP and Aviator make good points above. That seems more realistic and rounded.

Had a bad day? Go for a walk, colchar
Sorry, but that just made my laugh....what on earth is 'an ethnic'
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

I am also curious about this sentence in that letter form the "government employee"

You are not too old to work as a plumber. Retirement age in Canada is 65 and most some people work until they're 70

How true is this?

Could this be another possible reason for lack of success.

I'm not wishing to be age-ist!

I know that most plumbers that we have used are below the age of 65.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:21 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Assuming that letter was actually written by an employee of the state/territory/Canadian government (I'm not sure how the levels work over there) I wonder where they would stand if the OP and her husband,or any other poster come to that, complained?

I work for the government at state level in Australia and it would be sooooo wrong for one of us to put a personal opinion like that in an official letter written in our capacity as an employee of the government. Its one thing thats amazed me in this thread. Surely in Canada the laws aren't so different that a government employee can use their official role to air their personal opinion - and in writing into the bargain?! We'd be in deep doodoo, and quite probably out of a job.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 10:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Pollyana

same here!

I think that is what has surprised many of us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.