Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Racist Employers

Thank you : )
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:41 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
Thanks for your response however I did NOT accuse Canadians of being racist ! Please read the thread properly, and to be honest I am tired of sacastic comments. Some people on here a really nice and have good comments and advice to share others are just nit picking and trying to score points on pulling me down for spelling or grammar mistakes.
Maybe your thread title should have been a question rather than a statement then?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe she just didn't gramatically position it

No racism, but maybe there is such a thing as overkill .. ?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

Isn't this site for raising questions ?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:01 pm
Forum Regular

I am Mohammed the husband.

Canadian employment office replied to us with this email please read it

Hi Mohammed,

You are not too old to work as a plumber. Retirement age in Canada is 65 and most some people work until they're 70 :0)

I've been in this business for many, many years and to be very honest with you, I'm very sad to say that unfortunately some people are racist. It's a terrible thing and I have on several occasions confronted the employers and questioned them on this...so it's just a matter of finding the right employer. The Federal Skilled Trade Class is not a point system so your age will not be a consideration.

I still think the Express Entry is a very good option for you and worth a try.....you will have to have your credentials assessed through ECA and a qualifying agency. And, you will have to have a language test, but we will advise you on all of that.

Let us know if we can help, and in the meantime I will keep looking for an employer.

Thank you for your patience...

I know one thing about Canada ( its a lovely country with lovely people )
My heart is on Canada every time I look up the country, I feel very happy about the country.

I moved to the UK in 1996, I have faced racism, but it never gave me a hard time, as my personality and my hard work changed peoples opinion about me and people began to respect me for who I am

Thanks ppl

Last edited by Nuckynoo; Apr 25th 2015 at 4:05 pm. Reason: colour
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:06 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Isn't this site for raising questions ?
Your original question was "is anyone else in the same situation" and the resounding response has been zero. I apologise if you feel put upon, but you're the one suggesting it's your husband's name that is holding you back. People tried, initially at least, to suggest it is more likely your immigration status that is the stumbling block. You chose to be abusive and name call. This forum is full of generally well meaning individuals who have a lot of collective experience. No one was rude or antagonistic towards you until you started to throw your toys out of the pram. The title of your thread is going to raise a few eyebrows before the first sentence is dry on the page. Canada isn't perfect I know, but to infer racism is the reason your husband can't get a job is just wrong. To state only Irish people are getting jobs is, frankly, silly.

Play nice and you'll get a lot of valuable advice and information from the posters on here. Name call and get aggressive and you'll find people are less inclined to take you seriously.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I think you will find that Dorothy, not2old, Zoe (a friend), were quite confrontational first in their responses. That probably was a contributing factor.

Not as an excuse, but hey guys, come on - it's not like she came out swinging first

Last edited by dishwashing; Apr 25th 2015 at 4:20 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

I know one thing about Canada ( its a lovely country with lovely people )
My heart is on Canada every time I look up the country, I feel very happy about the country.

I moved to the UK in 1996, I have faced racism, but it never gave me a hard time, as my personality and my hard work changed peoples opinion about me and people began to respect me for who I am

Thanks ppl
Hi and welcome to these friendly expat boards

More seriously, you don't have to explain yourself away - I never took your first post as offensive but maybe that is just me

FWIW maybe you don't want the letter from the Job Office guy in case it is a matter of privacy for him - he sounds pretty empathetic and nice.

Good luck!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:20 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Canadian employment office replied to us with this email please read it
They may have replied with that, but given that the email isn't terribly accurate (i.e. no points score for FST and your age not being a factor), I'd take it with a pinch of salt personally.

It's just one person's opinion, and I'd agree with everybody else above that a far more likely reason as to your job hunt not being successful yet is that you don't have any right to work in Canada.

Also, are you job hunting from the UK? Or are you actually in Canada?
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:25 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you : )
Another thing, you say you are looking in AB and SK. These provinces have resource based economies and are not doing too well just recently. More companies are laying off tradesmen than hiring them. It also means that there is a pool of Canadian tradesmen for employers to choose from so making the chances of an employer getting a LMIA next to zero.

As said above, the process of hiring foreign workers changed and it is much more difficult now. Even putting aside government requirements the hiring culture is different in Canada. Most hiring is done face to face. Even before the changes in the regulations it was incredibly difficult to get a job just by sending CVs/Resumes because, if an employer has a job to offer, they want to see a candidate today and get them started on the job tomorrow.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Another thing, you say you are looking in AB and SK. These provinces have resource based economies and are not doing too well just recently. More companies are laying off tradesmen than hiring them. It also means that there is a pool of Canadian tradesmen for employers to choose from so making the chances of an employer getting a LMIA next to zero.

As said above, the process of hiring foreign workers changed and it is much more difficult now. Even putting aside government requirements the hiring culture is different in Canada. Most hiring is done face to face. Even before the changes in the regulations it was incredibly difficult to get a job just by sending CVs/Resumes because, if an employer has a job to offer, they want to see a candidate today and get them started on the job tomorrow.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I've been in this business for many, many years and to be very honest with you, I'm very sad to say that unfortunately some people are racist. It's a terrible thing and I have on several occasions confronted the employers and questioned them on this...so it's just a matter of finding the right employer. ...
I don't disagree with him. Canadians are people and people are inherently fearful of others that come from different cultures. However, the First Nations aside, it is not a defining characteristic of the country. From personal experience I can confidently tell you that life as a visible minority is much easier in our bit of Canada than it ever was in the UK.

If you want to come to Canada then persevere but try and get over here to meet potential employers. It is much easier to hire a friendly face than a piece of paper.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

thanks , this is the best ever comment I have ever had ,

you are right its better to see a face not a document

thank you very much pal
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

It was the Employment Department in Alberta who are Canadians calling the Employers of Alberta racist! Not me

It was not the employment department, it was one person offering their opinion.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 5:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband has applied for Express Entry but I believe this route isn't guaranteed and MAY or MAYNOT lead to an application being offered for PR.

PS :- Can I just say that they're some replies on here which are confusing. We were not the ones stating that Canadian Employers are racist rather the Employment Agency in Alberta ! They themselves are Canadian telling us as clients that the Employers are racist and are only selecting candidates from Ireland.
Only selecting candidates from Ireland?!?!

Please leave this thread your annoying
So you cannot handle hearing from anyone who disagrees with your spurious claims? If your husband's attitude is anything like yours it is no wonder that he is having trouble finding a job!

Don't know why on earth I bother when this thread has been bombarded with intimidating comments and accusations against me!

Intimidating? Dafuq are you on about?

I shall not be using this site again !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by colchar; Apr 25th 2015 at 5:07 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.