Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:45 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

at the risk of sounding like a petulant child , they started it when they started throwing personal insults at people who didn't agree with their premise that the lack of employment must equal racism.

Personally i still stand by my original question , which incidentally has never actually been answered.

If you are finding it so difficult to find a job and you've been told its due to your race, why on earth would you consider making that move? We all know how even with a fantastic job and gorgeous home and fantastic people around you it is still tough to emigrate.
Why would you set yourself up for that kind of heartache?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:53 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Good on you Bats and ExKiwilass! Nuckymoo when someone gets rude don't be too quick to hit back; sometimes it's due to miscommunication and even if it isn't there's no advantage in name calling. I'm 60 years old and I know a lot of people, have a lot of friends and not a single one of them is perfect. That's just the way it is.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

humanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to allhumanist is a name known to all

Coincidentally we just had to let someone go whose name was also Mohammed. He was a nice guy, but he said he had a work permit and it turns out he didn't, so we had to show him the door. The fault lies with our HR department ultimately.

It was quite annoying considering we'd paid for him to go on training courses and suchlike. There's no wonder there's a lot of scepticism around newly arrived immigrants.

Last edited by humanist; Apr 24th 2015 at 7:36 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
oh stop ganging up on her you lot.
Here here.

I wonder how many other people on this thread had problems when they arrived in Canada? All of you I expect.

The OP has only said what she feels in frustration - I expect other posters did the same in the same/similar situation except maybe the internet didn't exist then so you couldn't make the same mistake. Trouble with the internet once said, its there forever and no one lets you take it back.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
Please leave this thread your annoying
I think he actually summed up nicely what everybody is saying...

It is not racism or xenophobia which is holding your husband back. It is rather the fact that there is only a very small percentage of employers who will consider going through the tedious and expensive process of recruiting a worker who doesn't have the right to work in Canada.

The only ever comment I have heard that was in any way derogatory was actually aimed at people who didn't speak fluent French or English. Not the colour of people's skin or name...
Old Apr 25th 2015, 12:55 am
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
Well you see my dear. Unlike you, I can back my premise up with several examples:

I'm married to the guy plonker !!!
Read my original message dur
Your the one stating that I'm racist ?
Please leave this thread your annoying

Whereas you have the sum total of your own experience , which as many have pointed out has very little to do with race and more to do with immigration status and the say so of one (possibly mythical) Government employee, whom I'm betting would not go on public record to say what you have claimed.
Ooops, I misread your post and came to the conclusion for a few seconds that you were married to Rivingtonpike, then remembered you're married to Ben... oooppsss
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:28 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
I think he actually summed up nicely what everybody is saying...

It is not racism or xenophobia which is holding your husband back. It is rather the fact that there is only a very small percentage of employers who will consider going through the tedious and expensive process of recruiting a worker who doesn't have the right to work in Canada.

The only comment ever I have heard that was in any way derogatory was actually aimed at people who didn't speak fluent French or English. Not the colour of people's skin or name...

Actually the only really derogatory comments that I have heard in 47 years in Canada have been in up-country BC .......... you ought to hear the red necks up there going after the local First Nations bands

The Chinese were treated like dirt for much of last century. The Japanese were treated as if 3rd and 4th generation Canadian-Japanese were traitors during WW2, and a lot of the rhetoric from politicians at that time was truly racist

There was a great deal of fear involved in that

There was still a little bit of looking askance at mixed marriages when we first arrived here ............ very few Japanese or Chinese had married out of their communities until the 1960s

BUT I have not heard much racism against groups other than the First Nations ............... and would agree with the rest that the problem is that he does not yet have the right to work here.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 12:16 pm
Resident Maple Leaf Lush

sharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond reputesharkus has a reputation beyond repute

I know I'm likely talking to the wall, as the OP likely won't read this (you, horrible, evil people )

If I am reading the OP's first post correctly, ONE person at an Alberta employment office make the comments about alleged racism in the hiring process. OP, is this correct?

If so then it was just that one, single person that made this comment. Yes, yes, one could construe that as being one person speaking on behalf of the whole employment office, however, unless others chimed in, it is likely just a single persons own opinion on the matter, backed up by who know what facts or fiction.

I do think that not being able to actually work in Canada does, especially after the various recent changes, does make it a lot harder to get an employer to even consider you for a position. Is the reason for a lack of job offers down to racism? I don't think any of us can really say for sure in this case.

On the point of changing one's name. This does not need to be some kind of deed poll name change. As long as on official documents you use your full name, I don't see a problem. I work with quite a few people whose name we addressed them by wasn't their legal name. Perhaps their name is the anglicized version of their current name, I don't know.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 12:37 pm
Forum Regular

DrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond reputeDrealDeel has a reputation beyond repute

Zoe Bell: If you are finding it so difficult to find a job and you've been told its due to your race, why on earth would you consider making that move? We all know how even with a fantastic job and gorgeous home and fantastic people around you it is still tough to emigrate.
Why would you set yourself up for that kind of heartache?

It is precisely to make that sort of judgement in a considered way that the OP may have asked the question about whether others were in the same situation. It seems clear that the OP has not made up her mind yet, but is pondering whether this experience could be due to racism.

As others have kindly (and not so kindly) pointed out, the answer is that there are probably more commonplace issues limiting his employability.

Thanks to those who recognised the 'ganging up against the outsider' mentality and called it out. I'm looking at you Bats et al!

As for 'playing the race card', if you read the actual original post and not just the title, that seems an unfair allegation.

If you think are being discriminated against, you should consider the variables and try and work out what your 'handicap' is in a particular environment. That is part of a logical process of assessment. I agree that the more common reasons are lack of PR, lack of Canadian work experience etc and I would suggest it is more helpful to concentrate on stuff you can fix.

I'm off to start a thread about the religious family looking for a private school who thinks Canadians may be a bit racist to attract some genuine opprobrium away from this thread!
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
He is waiting for a job offer first , he has had TEFl Test, credentials assesses by both Provinces AIT , he has just applied for Express Entry.

To be honest I don't know why he doesn't just apply for PR , we have been trying our best to get a job offer first then apply for PR.
Without a job offer, he likely won't have the points to get PR. Without PR, any potential employer will need to get him an LMIA. The process to get an LMIA is non-trivial - e.g. it requires at least a month of advertising the job in various places and a plausible demonstration of why they can't find someone with PR or citizenship to do the role - and most companies will end up using a law firm which will cost them around $5000. Unless he has some very, very specific and rare skills for the particular location of the job, there's no good reason for an employer to go through this hassle. So, before you start accusing Canadians of being racist, you might want to look at the facts of what's involved from an employers perspective.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
So the fact that he can't LEGALLY work in Canada at the moment just might have something to do with him not receiving job offers.
Apparently not.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Stop it, will you?

She asked because she heard it from someone and she took it here for feedback.

I think many here could have explained another perspective without jumping down her throat. And echoing ad infinitum the "Stay away then" comment. Good grief, can't you remember the times when you were still unsure of how things "are"? Give her a break and I hope you guys don't repeat that behavior on others.

I think she responded because the thread was moving into bully territory.

As to the OP or anyone else reading, I thought about this a bit more this morning: what I do think is:

1. Without PR/right to work, unless you are have some extraordinary skills, good luck or a great Uncle, chances are you are automatically disqualified from the job hiring process. I do think it has nothing to do with any other factor here.

2. Next basis is the normal employability aspects: experience (relative to everyone else), culture, perception. I have seen some Canadian employers like to hire ... uhhh non expats and some who recognize talent regardless - it depends on the person, I would not say - at least where I hang around - race is an issue.

3. If there are segments who whether consciously or unconsciously discriminate, then adopt measures - like the suggestion ExKiwiLass put forward - amend the names etc. Sometimes, life sucks. The good ? news is it probably affects everyone in some way, this shade.

And yet -

Sometimes life sucks, so please try not to pass the bitterness, heaven knows this world needs more humanity and it starts with each of you (me) (us).

Last edited by dishwashing; Apr 25th 2015 at 3:28 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised how many people here think that racism is a NON issue.

I think that most people are actually subconsciously discriminating against people nearly all the time - clothes, status, color, religion, class, job, smell, looks... and then it bounces off your own values system etc. i.e. I think it is human nature in general that people are assessing another at some level

I do think however, that when you carry the self consciousness around that you may be discriminated against because of (looks, weight, religion, sex, race, color, height, clothes etc) then it can work into a *perceived* self fulfilling prophecy - so best to steer clear of that and try to position yourself forward as best as possible with your credentials/character/learnings/cultural awareness of Canada

Bla bla blahhhhh over.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:34 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for your response however I did NOT accuse Canadians of being racist ! Please read the thread properly, and to be honest I am tired of sacastic comments. Some people on here a really nice and have good comments and advice to share others are just nit picking and trying to score points on pulling me down for spelling or grammar mistakes.
Old Apr 25th 2015, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hey Nuckynoo

Don't worry: these people are actually quite decent, I think you may have just nudged a few people the wrong way as they think you are implying that.

So regardless, clear the air, and move on: forumers here are usually very helpful. Cheers and good luck with your husband's job hunt, I know it can be very stressful looking for a job, but again without PR/eligibility to work it is NOW very difficult to get sponsorship

(Caveat: I don't know enough about your profession so if it is one where employers are willing to fork out for LMIA processes, keep going on that. Also check to see if your "resume" (as poster above said) is up to scratch and his job interviewing skills are good - that's just baseline stuff)

Last edited by dishwashing; Apr 25th 2015 at 3:38 pm. Reason: Added stuff

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.