Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sorry I take offence at the title of this thread and Yes Im a white guy.
At the moment he is not legally entitled to work in Canada as he only has an Express Entry application submitted and has not been issued a LMIA nor been given a PNP support letter or exempt from a LMIA.
What proof do you have that these employers are racist and discriminating against him based on this. Oh yeah thats right a single employee at an employment office stated in your words that there a lot of racist issues when choosing new employers.
Somebody told me they knew a few muslims who were terrorists and probably had joined ISIS so Im guessing you will agree with this statement?
So the fact that he can't LEGALLY work in Canada at the moment just might have something to do with him not receiving job offers.

^^^This.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I remember a report several year ago where some researchers sent two applications for various jobs that were advertized over a period of time. The applications were identical except the applicant on one had a very English sounding name and the other an East Indian one. I can't recall exactly how many times the English applicant was called for interview compared to the East Indian one, but the difference was significant. So, it does happen here and I don't think it is completely fair to accuse the OP of playing the race card. (God, I hate that phrase.)

That said, there are plenty of people with "white" sounding names who get absolutely nowhere just sending resumes.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Juggernaut1064
One week ago and said goodbye to an english (caucasian) friend who was one of a reported 60,000 who had to leave canada with his family.

I didn't hear about that. What happened?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by colchar

I didn't hear about that. What happened?
Was all over the news, up to 60,000 had to leave, not sure if that figure is correct or the press sensationalised it a bit ???
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dorothy
+1

OP, I find your assertion that your husband isn't getting jobs because of racism offensive. Perhaps if Canada, and in turn Canadians, are racist you would do better to stay where you are.

Did you read my original message ?

It was the Employment Department in Alberta who are Canadians calling the Employers of Alberta racist! Not me
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:23 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
I think because his name is Mohammed .... It's a massive giveaway and to be honest with all the negative news in the media we think it my be having an effect on Canadian Employers hiring.
It just gave us a sad sinking feeling and loss of hope. We have spent so much time, energy and money getting documents together, getting credentials assessed etc.

Thx for your response
I'm sorry, but if this isn't a direct accusation of racism by you, then what is it? These are your words, not those of anyone else.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

My husband has applied for Express Entry but I believe this route isn't guaranteed and MAY or MAYNOT lead to an application being offered for PR.

PS :- Can I just say that they're some replies on here which are confusing. We were not the ones stating that Canadian Employers are racist rather the Employment Agency in Alberta ! They themselves are Canadian telling us as clients that the Employers are racist and are only selecting candidates from Ireland.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm sorry, but if this isn't a direct accusation of racism by you, then what is it? These are your words, not those of anyone else.
I'm married to the guy plonker !!!

Read my original message dur
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:25 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

?
That's not very nice.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

worklifebalance is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I remember a report several year ago where some researchers sent two applications for various jobs that were advertized over a period of time. The applications were identical except the applicant on one had a very English sounding name and the other an East Indian one. I can't recall exactly how many times the English applicant was called for interview compared to the East Indian one, but the difference was significant. So, it does happen here and I don't think it is completely fair to accuse the OP of playing the race card. (God, I hate that phrase.)

That said, there are plenty of people with "white" sounding names who get absolutely nowhere just sending resumes.
My wife is Chinese/Canadian and was struggling to get any interest in the first 6 months since we arrived - unless it was a Chinese owned company. The last 6 months she has used my family name and she is getting plenty of enquiries which are generating interviews. Possibly it is racist but we also emphasised on the resume that English language skills were excellent and really highlighted English speaking experience and locations. As a quick way for an employer to bin 900 of a 1000 resumes is to assume those with foreign names cannot speak English because there are a significant minority of that group who can't speak good English.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

Your the one stating that I'm racist ?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by worklifebalance
My wife is Chinese/Canadian and was struggling to get any interest in the first 6 months since we arrived - unless it was a Chinese owned company. The last 6 months she has used my family name and she is getting plenty of enquiries which are generating interviews. Possibly it is racist but we also emphasised on the resume that English language skills were excellent and really highlighted English speaking experience and locations. As a quick way for an employer to bin 900 of a 1000 resumes is to assume those with foreign names cannot speak English because there are a significant minority of that group who can't speak good English.
Thank you !!

At last some one understands where I'm coming from.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:30 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Your the one stating that I'm racist ?
I'm saying that you're the one using his name and creed (not race - look it up), as the reason he hasn't been offered a job. That directly infers prejudice and/or racism. What many on here are suggesting is that it has a lot more to do with his and your immigration status than what shape, colour, creed or name he has.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
I'm saying that you're the one using his name and creed (not race - look it up), as the reason he hasn't been offered a job. That directly infers prejudice and/or racism. What many on here are suggesting is that it has a lot more to do with his and your immigration status than what shape, colour, creed or name he has.
Please leave this thread your annoying
Old Apr 24th 2015, 4:33 pm
Muskoka, Ontario

Tirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond reputeTirytory has a reputation beyond repute

Wow how rude are you? I suggest you read posts carefully and then you would understand what RP meant.

Last edited by Tirytory; Apr 24th 2015 at 4:36 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.