Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:23 am
Forum Regular

chrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond reputechrisro55 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Notwithstanding the very fundamental issue of non resident? & no right to work? (which for most employers will be a full stop anyway), then I would echo the comments of the other respondents.

I work at a senior level within the Engineering / Maintenance industry, and a significant number of the trades / semi skilled staff in BC, AB, SK, and ON are releativly recent migrants from asian, south asian, or middle eastern backgrounds. (far more than white europeans or other ethnic groups)

You have mentioned that he is a plumber / gas filter, and also seem to intimate he has received his red seal / provincial licensing? That said, don't under estimate just how much focus is put into direct Canadian experience, especialy in the trades, which are much much different in terms of practices & installation methodologies in Canada than most other countries. Also on the construction side of things for electricians, pipe fitters / gas fitters, then belonging to a local union hall will also have a big influence on the type of jobs available to him (especially in AB)

Last edited by chrisro55; Apr 24th 2015 at 12:40 am.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:23 am
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
One wonders why you would even want to move to such a racist land.

Of course this board is full of people who had just as much trouble securing a job who aren't called Mohammed. They , however, don't get to play the race card
so true...

I have to be honest, that I, 'the white Christian' have played the racism card [towards me] a few times in the workplace in multi-cultural Canada, because 'racism has no boundaries'

Now, I play the 'old fool' card so that everyone can take a pot-shot at me , especially when trying to get service, waiting in a line or in a shop, on the phone.

Then again, I don't put up with any BS & still have the balls to do what it takes to get what I want & deserve what I am rightfully entitled too. Its the game of survival & that's why I came to Canada, I consider myself a good immigrant & Canadian citizen

Last edited by not2old; Apr 24th 2015 at 12:34 am.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 1:06 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Seems to me the fact he appears not eligible to work in Canada is the reason he isn't being hired/interview. If he can't work here, can't expect to get a job here,

I am white looking, but all my co-workers are not, some are east Indian, some are Asian, and I am not sure where others are from.

I see lots of diversity everywhere I go around BC at different types of companies, can't say about Alberta though.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 1:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

You are probably not getting any replies right now as you aren't in Canada and don't have PR. That said you could change his name on his resume to Mo, it might help. I worked with a Christian Egyptian who said he would never work with or employ a Muslim. I understand you thinking that racism is a factor as there does seem to be an increasing distrust and division but right now the problem is that you are not in Canads.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
Sorry I take offence at the title of this thread and Yes Im a white guy.
At the moment he is not legally entitled to work in Canada as he only has an Express Entry application submitted and has not been issued a LMIA nor been given a PNP support letter or exempt from a LMIA.
What proof do you have that these employers are racist and discriminating against him based on this. Oh yeah thats right a single employee at an employment office stated in your words that there a lot of racist issues when choosing new employers.
Somebody told me they knew a few muslims who were terrorists and probably had joined ISIS so Im guessing you will agree with this statement?
So the fact that he can't LEGALLY work in Canada at the moment just might have something to do with him not receiving job offers.
+1
Originally Posted by Zoe Bell
One wonders why you would even want to move to such a racist land.

Of course this board is full of people who had just as much trouble securing a job who aren't called Mohammed.
They , however, don't get to play the race card

OP, I find your assertion that your husband isn't getting jobs because of racism offensive. Perhaps if Canada, and in turn Canadians, are racist you would do better to stay where you are.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:01 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Despite being a Permanent Resident with many years of experience I applied for literally hundreds of jobs, culminating in 3 interviews in 3 years.

After that I gave up and am now self employed.

I would agree with others and say it's due to his a) not being in Canada b) not being legally able to work in Canada and c) lots of Canadians and PR's that can do the job

I'd suggest having a read of the various wiki pages on job hunting in Canada, if you are serious about coming then either a recce and a job hunting trip or else apply for PR.

Category:Job Hunting-Canada : British Expat Wiki

Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:39 am
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, rent a car and check it out - talk to people, try to make some contacts before you come then get on the land, travel a bit and see if you like it.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:45 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old

Now, I play the 'old fool' card so that everyone can take a pot-shot at me , especially when trying to get service, waiting in a line or in a shop, on the phone.

Then again, I don't put up with any BS & still have the balls to do what it takes to get what I want & deserve what I am rightfully entitled too. Its the game of survival & that's why I came to Canada, I consider myself a good immigrant & Canadian citizen
Yes, let's use the OP's question and thread as an excuse to elevate ourselves whilst putting another down .. no, don't be shy about it !!!!
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

dishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond reputedishwashing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
At the moment he is not legally entitled to work in Canada as he only has an Express Entry application submitted and has not been issued a LMIA nor been given a PNP support letter or exempt from a LMIA.
FL - Does a PNP support letter entitle someone to work in Canada? On an open or closed work permit?

Sorry (off topic)
Old Apr 24th 2015, 5:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
Hi

My husband has been searching for a job for over a year in the Provinces on Alberta & Saskatchewan. He has sent off his CV ( portfolio ) to countless employees and had one unsuccessful interview. We sought advice and guidance from an employment office in Alberta who admitted that there are a lot of racist issues when choosing new employees.

My husband is a Level 3 City & Guilds Plumber/ Gas fitted with over 10 years of experience. He is British Egyptian Muslim.

All his papers in order and he is ready to work.

Is anyone else in the same situation ?

Thanks

Naomi
I have some opinions on Canadian work culture, but at least where I hover, racism is not a specific one - i.e. I have seen many ethnicities in many companies - I think it would help to not have "racism" at the forefront of your minds. i.e It's not only unhelpful, it can cloud your perception as to the reasons he may be finding it hard to get a job - which is why you have asked the question you did in the first place. i.e. with the prior assumption

As most other posters have said, I believe that the ineligibility to work is your PRIMARY reason. There are a lot of hoops employers have to go through to sponsor someone who is ineligible to work and nearly all Canadian employers would not bother going through that process to be honest. Especially at this stage

Then there are other reasons: interview style, learning about Canadian culture and styles etc. but I don't think we can comment as this is just an internet forum

As others have said, he can also abbreviate his name on his resume, no harm in trying that if he doesn't mind the shortened name.

Good luck!
Old Apr 24th 2015, 9:35 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dishwashing
FL - Does a PNP support letter entitle someone to work in Canada? On an open or closed work permit?

Sorry (off topic)
Yes thats why PNP support letters are issued to PNP applicants so they can work while their applications are being processed at both the Provincial and Federal stages until they get their PR documents. Depending which PNP programme and stream you can have a selected applicant employer specific or nominated applicant which can be both employer specific or open. With either of these letters they can be issued a work permit without the need for the LMIA.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 10:07 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

He is waiting for a job offer first , he has had TEFl Test, credentials assesses by both Provinces AIT , he has just applied for Express Entry.

To be honest I don't know why he doesn't just apply for PR , we have been trying our best to get a job offer first then apply for PR.
You say he's applied for EE, but then say 'I don't know why he doesn't just apply for PR'? Can you clarify what you mean and what he's applied for?
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Juggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond reputeJuggernaut1064 has a reputation beyond repute

Firstly if it says CV or Portfolio then change it to Resume, I'm a recruiter and when i see CV the first thing i ask is "what's your immigration status" I dont give a flying nuts if thats offensive, i don't have time to waste on people who can't actually work here in Canada (Not all companies have access to LMIAs) and i'm guessing thats the problem for your husband. I am polite with my response that i can't help them with employment but as stated i don't have time to waste on people who can't accept a job offer if i made one.
Get his immigration status sorted out first ! I'm also assuming being English his spoken English is good ?
This land is not racist, My company has employees from all over the world, i don't care where your from as long as your qualified and experienced and your english is good, Only two weeks ago i orientated a guy from Nepal but his english was excellent.
One week ago i said goodbye to an english (caucasian) friend who was one of a reported 60,000 who had to leave canada with his family.

Last edited by Juggernaut1064; Apr 24th 2015 at 3:30 pm.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:19 pm
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly where I work, we needed a number of engineers in a bit of a hurry, and I did suggest "what about getting them from Britain" there was a resounding "No", not because they are either racist or anti-British, but there is certainly a perception that getting foreign workers will get you caught up in a stream of red tape. I am sure having PR would be a great advantage.
Old Apr 24th 2015, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

colchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond reputecolchar has a reputation beyond repute

I think because his name is Mohammed .... It's a massive giveaway and to be honest with all the negative news in the media we think it my be having an effect on Canadian Employers hiring.

You are making a huge assumption here. Did it ever cross your mind that there could be any number of reasons for his inability to find a job that have nothing to do with racism - especially when neither Egyptian nor Muslim are races?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.