Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Racist Employers

Racist Employers

Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Racist Employers

Hi

My husband has been searching for a job for over a year in the Provinces on Alberta & Saskatchewan. He has sent off his CV ( portfolio ) to countless employees and had one unsuccessful interview. We sought advice and guidance from an employment office in Alberta who admitted that there are a lot of racist issues when choosing new employees.

My husband is a Level 3 City & Guilds Plumber/ Gas fitted with over 10 years of experience. He is British Egyptian Muslim.

All his papers in order and he is ready to work.

Is anyone else in the same situation ?

Thanks

Naomi
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:31 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racist Employers

Originally Posted by Nuckynoo
Hi

My husband has been searching for a job for over a year in the Provinces on Alberta & Saskatchewan. He has sent off his CV ( portfolio ) to countless employees and had one unsuccessful interview. We sought advice and guidance from an employment office in Alberta who admitted that there are a lot of racist issues when choosing new employees.

My husband is a Level 3 City & Guilds Plumber/ Gas fitted with over 10 years of experience. He is British Egyptian Muslim.

All his papers in order and he is ready to work.

Is anyone else in the same situation ?

Thanks

Naomi
Don't put nationality or religion on the resume. Then who would know? Canada is full of interesting international names. Why do you think his not getting interviews is racist?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Nuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to beholdNuckynoo is a splendid one to behold

I think because his name is Mohammed .... It's a massive giveaway and to be honest with all the negative news in the media we think it my be having an effect on Canadian Employers hiring.

It just gave us a sad sinking feeling and loss of hope. We have spent so much time, energy and money getting documents together, getting credentials assessed etc.

Thx for your response
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:42 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

I think because his name is Mohammed .... It's a massive giveaway and to be honest with all the negative news in the media we think it my be having an effect on Canadian Employers hiring.

It just gave us a sad sinking feeling and loss of hope. We have spent so much time, energy and money getting documents together, getting credentials assessed etc.

Thx for your response
When you say you have all your papers in order, do you mean he still requires a work permit from an employer? Or do you already have permanent residency?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

He is waiting for a job offer first , he has had TEFl Test, credentials assesses by both Provinces AIT , he has just applied for Express Entry.

To be honest I don't know why he doesn't just apply for PR , we have been trying our best to get a job offer first then apply for PR.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:17 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

i honestly don't know if it's racism or not but could you try abbreviating his name to "Mo"? Might be worth it to see if it changes the response.

There's a few Mos around here.

Also, does it have to be AB or SK?
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 9:35 pm
"In cruce vincam"

He is waiting for a job offer first , he has had TEFl Test, credentials assesses by both Provinces AIT , he has just applied for Express Entry.

To be honest I don't know why he doesn't just apply for PR , we have been trying our best to get a job offer first then apply for PR.
Applying for and getting PR first would likely improve his chances of landing a job. Getting the paperwork to employ someone without already having PR seems to be a real pain and very expensive for an employer these days.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I take offence at the title of this thread and Yes Im a white guy.
At the moment he is not legally entitled to work in Canada as he only has an Express Entry application submitted and has not been issued a LMIA nor been given a PNP support letter or exempt from a LMIA.
What proof do you have that these employers are racist and discriminating against him based on this. Oh yeah thats right a single employee at an employment office stated in your words that there a lot of racist issues when choosing new employers.
Somebody told me they knew a few muslims who were terrorists and probably had joined ISIS so Im guessing you will agree with this statement?
So the fact that he can't LEGALLY work in Canada at the moment just might have something to do with him not receiving job offers.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:27 pm
"In cruce vincam"

Maybe with the added time, effort and expense of getting visas and employing foreigners without PR status, Canadian employers are putting more effort into finding people to fill their jobs already eligible to work. Have you seen lots of British plumers not called Mohammed getting jobs around him? Maybe they just don't like what they see on his resume, or maybe they're just not hiring from abroad. It does seem a bit of a knee jerk reaction to automatically assume it's a racist issue
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:36 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

It's always possible that you may encounter racist attitudes when seeking employment but you'll have to cross that bridge when you come to it. As FL says get your papers in order first then apply everywhere you'd like to live and don't give up until you get in. For what it's worth the mayor of Calgary is Muslim and he's one of the most popular mayors in the country so try to take heart from that. I look forward to welcoming you to Canada.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 10:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Getting job offers in Canada is more to do with who you know, not what you know.

But he needs to become entitled to work in Canada first. At the moment, he isn't.

Then try using an 'alternative' first name. Many Chinese do this after all.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:11 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Then try using an 'alternative' first name. Many Chinese do this after all.
I will disagree with that; it's against the law to discriminate on the basis of race or religion and nobody should have to change their name to get an interview if they have the qualifications. Besides, if a plumbing company granted an interview to 'Mike' then rejected Mohammed when they got a look at him for a fake reason it would be even worse, and hiring him then letting him go by lying and saying he wasn't good enough would be worse still. A skype interview would short-circuit any surprises. Not everyone in the trades is a bigot but some are and that's a fact of life. I worked with a Moroccan finishing carpenter who was named Mohammed and he was known for his skill and engaging personality rather than his skin or his religion.
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying it's right, but a lot of people do it (use an English name, that is).
Old Apr 23rd 2015, 11:37 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

OP, I think your point of 'racist employers' is way off base & the fact pointed out by other posters 'he is not legally entitled to work in Canada'.

Before I retired going back a few years, I was the 'hiring person' in a company that was 90& non-white Christians, in fact majority Muslim. Then a factory that I was plant superintendent' with a majority of Vietnamese, Chinese & Korean workers.

This is Canada & within the GTA (Toronto) there are places & spaces that even I feel out of place now after living here for 48 years.

I have experienced all kinds of folks from all walks of life applying for jobs, even some past 65 years of age, unskilled, skilled & over qualified.. One of the questions you may find on an application form is 'are you legally entitled to work in Canada' - even if one answered 'yes' & wasn't, then at hiring time the proof has to be there in one form or another such as a SIN#

Even those that sent in their resume/CV it was evident they are new arrivals in Canada - that didn't matter to the company - its, 'if there are positions available', is the person skilled & qualified & do they have [as applicable] any license or trade credential that is required for a particular job.

Take from that & the other posts what your OH needs to do to apply for a position with a Canadian employer, keeping in mind there is likely home grown trained & qualified individuals with Canadian experience who are also applying for the jobs your OH is applying for who also never get a response, an interview or email/phone call.

In reverse, imagine a Canadian landing in the UK applying for a job, would be up against local trained, qualified & experienced folks. Who would you consider first?

Being an immigrant competing against the locals is a tough go even if one has landed status, a 'Red seal' trade ticket & Canadian experience
Old Apr 24th 2015, 12:02 am
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

One wonders why you would even want to move to such a racist land.

Of course this board is full of people who had just as much trouble securing a job who aren't called Mohammed.
They , however, don't get to play the race card

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.