Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quite astonishing...

Quite astonishing...

Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quite astonishing...

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Exactly!!!!
I'm booked in for the Collagen implants and Boob job next week.
That's why you're having the nightmares...
Old Feb 9th 2007, 10:29 am
Just Joined

kasieczko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by willmore
Indeed we are quite excited about our trip to eastern europe and especially meeting our relatives in warsaw, poland. We were hoping our dad would join us, but he has no interest in visiting the old country.

Thank you for your kind offer, I may have to pick your brain closer to the time that we leave.

I guess our biggest concern is whether we will be allowed to cross the poland/ukraine border from warsaw.. We want to visit Kiev where there are a few relatives of ours as well. We've heard horror stories about travellers not be allowed across even with visas, or having to pay to be allowed to cross over to the ukraine.

Do you know anything about this?
Have not been to Ukraine so cannot relate. Surely strange and unexpected things can happen everywhere, thou.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 2:20 pm
Forum Regular

marsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nicemarsaday is just really nice

ukraine aint that bad. i was there last summer with the wifey. if they want something off you give it to them. they will only ask for $10 or so. but i think you will get straight through.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 3:39 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Willmore,

You may be asked to pay. Just cough up and say nothing, it won't be much by your standards. Carry some $US with you at all times.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:06 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
Willmore,

You may be asked to pay. Just cough up and say nothing, it won't be much by your standards. Carry some $US with you at all times.
Let's refine that suggestion. Carry some US$ with you at all times but don't keep it in one chunk. Being able to shove your hand into your shirt breast pocket and pull out a couple of low-denomination notes is one thing. Being able to shove your hand into your pocket, drag out a huge wad, peel off a ten-spot and then put the wad back in your pocket is something else altogether.

As the old saying goes: "don't put all your eggs in one basket".
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:13 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Let's refine that suggestion. Carry some US$ with you at all times but don't keep it in one chunk. Being able to shove your hand into your shirt breast pocket and pull out a couple of low-denomination notes is one thing. Being able to shove your hand into your pocket, drag out a huge wad, peel off a ten-spot and then put the wad back in your pocket is something else altogether.

As the old saying goes: "don't put all your eggs in one basket".
I had assumed Willmore would realise this.......
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Thanks for the help folks. I did know about keeping a few bucks in my pocket and the rest kept safely somewhere else on my body.

Both my sister and I have travelled quite extensively, but never tried to cross a border where bribes were allegedly known to be asked of north americans.....although since neither of us speak ukranian or polish, I sure hope they speak english well!

Karma sent to both of you. Not worth as much as it once was, but still......the thought is there.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 11:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kasieczko
I bet you will have good time - many western Europeans still perceive Poland as an exotic place and I do believe there are reasons for it Which places will you visit? I'll be happy to offer some help/advice if you need it, cheers

I have been to Slovakia and Czech Republic. Both places were quite fun, friendly people mostly and the beer was a reason to like it there as well! I would also like to visit Poland sometime, maybe Warsaw or Krakow.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 4:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
I have been to Slovakia and Czech Republic. Both places were quite fun, friendly people mostly and the beer was a reason to like it there as well! I would also like to visit Poland sometime, maybe Warsaw or Krakow.
Thanks for the info Perry. Czech Republic and Slovakia are two places we intend to visit.

Any tips?
Old Feb 10th 2007, 5:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light
Talking Re: Quite astonishing...

Originally Posted by kasieczko
Hello all, just to introduce myself as I am new here - I am a Pole and recently we have decided to try our luck and apply for Canadian PR under the SW category. The reasons are many, one of them being we want to give our six-month boy a chance for a better life. I have browsed the forum and, to my surprise, I have read that many of you want to leave UK as Canada seems a better place to you.. Why is that?? If it wasn't for that many Polish people to have invaded UK (especially London) we would most likely decide to go there for proximity reasons. Bearing in mind that it was UK to leave its footprints in countries like USA, Canada, Australia, I am wondering what makes you want to go there i.e what is better there than in UK? What are the differences?? And do not ask me the same question - the gap between Poland and UK is quite considerable
Hi, I know many Poles in both countries and had lived in Western Canada and U.K a good few years.

Polish people seem an awful lot more contented in Canada than in U.K.
They also seem more prosperous in Canada.

Exempt from this would be Poles who had arrived in U.K. 20+ year ago.

If you had lived in U.K. prior to Canada for some years you may miss some social
benefits to do with the English culture. Equally in areas of esthetics and social customs.
Traditional British professionalism becoming extinct by the day!

You need to ask yourself the hard question : “Do I want to save money and head back for Poland or decide again in a few years. Or do I want to live abroad for good”

In the former case England is obviously a better choice

Otherwise Canada always
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Perry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond reputePerry Groves has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info Perry. Czech Republic and Slovakia are two places we intend to visit.

Any tips?
Yes, Willmore, Prague is a nice place to visit as is Kosice, which is in the Eastern part of Slovakia. Bratislava is a bit modern for my liking but would appeal to people perhaps looking for a lively nightlife (becoming a place for Stag do's), as would Prague.
Old Feb 10th 2007, 6:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Perry Groves
Yes, Willmore, Prague is a nice place to visit as is Kosice, which is in the Eastern part of Slovakia. Bratislava is a bit modern for my liking but would appeal to people perhaps looking for a lively nightlife (becoming a place for Stag do's), as would Prague.
Kosice? It must have changed a bit in the last decade or so. My abiding memory of the place is "kinell".
Old Feb 10th 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Kosice? It must have changed a bit in the last decade or so. My abiding memory of the place is "kinell".
Not sure what "kinell" is, I was there last year and there were a number of Brits, Aussies etc there who seemed to be having fun. Cheap prices for drinks certainly helped. The nightlife there was o.k. as well, and it has a McDonalds now
Old Feb 11th 2007, 7:11 am
Manchester, UK

Tommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura aboutTommy HC has a spectacular aura about

Any tips?
Slovakia has high concentration of medieval castles, I would probably recommend Spissky Hrad, Trencin or Bojnice
And don't forget about High Tatras.
Old Feb 11th 2007, 9:15 am
Banned

TonyLondon22 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=Perry Groves;4387761]Not sure what "kinell" is,
......Perry,Perry LOL.....its the polite abbreviation for something!!

Last edited by TonyLondon22; Feb 11th 2007 at 10:36 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.