Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quite astonishing...

Quite astonishing...

Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quite astonishing...

Originally Posted by kasieczko
Hello all, just to introduce myself as I am new here - I am a Pole and recently we have decided to try our luck and apply for Canadian PR under the SW category. The reasons are many, one of them being we want to give our six-month boy a chance for a better life. I have browsed the forum and, to my surprise, I have read that many of you want to leave UK as Canada seems a better place to you.. Why is that?? If it wasn't for that many Polish people to have invaded UK (especially London) we would most likely decide to go there for proximity reasons. Bearing in mind that it was UK to leave its footprints in countries like USA, Canada, Australia, I am wondering what makes you want to go there i.e what is better there than in UK? What are the differences?? And do not ask me the same question - the gap between Poland and UK is quite considerable
"Why?" - you ask. I'll give you our reasons.

Our main reason is we will be mortgage free.

We will have the house of our dreams with views across to the rockies. We have a 4 acre lot waiting for us & we are designing our house which hubby will play a large part in building - this has been his dream for along time, to build our home.

We love animals & have pets (no children) & it has been a dream of mine to have a small holding with some chickens, goats, maybe a donkey & some alpacas.

These things we could never do while living in the UK, but in Canada we can. We also have family & friends in the part of Canada we are moving to, so we are also very fortunate there.

The lower crime rate & no gangs of teenagers that hang around in an intimidating way.

We also want to live a quieter life away from a busy town - we love the space that Canada provides.

Outdoor pursuits - we are looking forward to trying new hobbies & sports, & my husband can continue to go off roading on his dirt bike - which is very restricted now in the UK.

We know that Canada is no Utopia & that the grass is not necessarily greener, but we feel that Canada can give us a better way of life.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:45 pm
Just Joined

kasieczko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I think the OP is a bit more perceptive than you are all giving him credit for.

A disturbing number of posters on here (almost exclusively those in the "queue") suggest they are leaving the UK because of the Polish immigrants to Britain.

Leaving aside the irony of emigrating to avoid immigrants, l suspect our Polish friend may be researching whether this attitude is the same here.

Well, overwhelmingly, it's not, (although pockets of bigotry are everywhere unavoidable).
I am not really surprised to hear that the British are not happy with the wave of Polish immigrants as I am well aware of what sort of people go there. But we are not all that bad

BTW, the housing prices in Poland are also becoming ridiculous... I have not made any research yet as to what to expect in Toronto but I am not easily surprised in this matter any longer...
I am lodging our papers tomorrow, it takes about 2 years to process it here.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I am not really surprised to hear that the British are not happy with the wave of Polish immigrants as I am well aware of what sort of people go there. But we are not all that bad

BTW, the housing prices in Poland are also becoming ridiculous... I have not made any research yet as to what to expect in Toronto but I am not easily surprised in this matter any longer...
I am lodging our papers tomorrow, it takes about 2 years to process it here.
mls.ca will give you a good idea of Toronto house prices. If you're the sort who would like to find a community with a significant Polish presence in the city, look at the area around Roncesvalles Avenue just east of High Park. You can get the best kielbasa (spelling?) I've had in North America at the butcher near Wright and Roncey.

See you in 2 years mate.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 2:58 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I bet you will have good time - many western Europeans still perceive Poland as an exotic place and I do believe there are reasons for it Which places will you visit? I'll be happy to offer some help/advice if you need it, cheers
Exotic?

I spent a week in Bielsko Biala once. It was a loooooong week.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:04 pm
Account Closed

Deer Hunter is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sinope
Yawn, Deer Hunter. Here we go again. What I wrote is nothing new on this forum and yet you question my post.

If you are interested in debating the comparative merits of Uk and Canadian childhood, which I doubt, I suggest you start a thread about it.
I chose your post because you mention not wanting your child to become anorexic as a reason for moving to Canada. I haven't come across this reason before, hence my quoting you.

I have no interest in the merits of either childhood, I was simply telling you MY experience of growing up in Canada. Anyway there is nothing stopping you from putting me on ignore.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:17 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
we are designing our house which hubby will play a large part in building
I really hope you know a lot about the appropriate building codes There are a lot of potential pitafalls I can see with trying to do it all yourself, so hopefully you have hired the appropriate canadian experts too.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 8th 2007 at 3:22 pm.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:20 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I chose your post because you mention not wanting your child to become anorexic as a reason for moving to Canada. I haven't come across this reason before, hence my quoting you.

I have no interest in the merits of either childhood, I was simply telling you MY experience of growing up in Canada. Anyway there is nothing stopping you from putting me on ignore.

I thought the post about childhood pressures to be an odd one. What I liked about the school system here was the pressure it placed on the kids. Each year there was a high school graduation ceremony in which the graduates were anounced in order of scholarship money received. Their SAT and bac results are announced and the school provides tutors specifically for the SAT. I hear kids on the streetcar who are attending the same school now and they babble relentlessly about the need for results in these two tests and their individual rankings within the school and across the city. School here reminded me of a software company I worked for which published employee earnings each month with a view to driving the laggards to sell more. I don't think you can get the same academic pressure in the UK unless you pay for the school.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Arris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond reputeArris has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I really hope you know a lot about the appropriate building codes There are a lot of potential pitafalls I can see with trying to do it all yourself, so hopefully you have hired the appropriate canadian experts too.
Thanks for the advice. Hubby is in construction & our friend in Canada is also - he built his own house - so we should be alright.

We are over in the summer & hubby already has a list of things to find out, people to see etc.

Cheers Arris
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Deer Hunter
I chose your post because you mention not wanting your child to become anorexic as a reason for moving to Canada.
Whatever.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I thought the post about childhood pressures to be an odd one. What I liked about the school system here was the pressure it placed on the kids. Each year there was a high school graduation ceremony in which the graduates were anounced in order of scholarship money received. Their SAT and bac results are announced and the school provides tutors specifically for the SAT. I hear kids on the streetcar who are attending the same school now and they babble relentlessly about the need for results in these two tests and their individual rankings within the school and across the city. School here reminded me of a software company I worked for which published employee earnings each month with a view to driving the laggards to sell more. I don't think you can get the same academic pressure in the UK unless you pay for the school.
As a matter of fact it isn't necessarily academic pressure that I am talking about. There is a lot of bullying and huge media pressure to conform to a certain ideal of beauty for example.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bleech
Or worse when she finds out that you have a wife!
Mistresses, wives, girlfriends, they're all an expensive past time.
Should have stayed single and saved for that Ferrari instead me thinks.

Looks over shoulder to check OH is not around
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:35 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
Should have stayed single and saved for that Ferrari instead me thinks.

Looks over shoulder to check OH is not around
Oh, no question, if I had no penis I could have had a fleet of Ferraris.
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by sinope
As a matter of fact it isn't necessarily academic pressure that I am talking about. There is a lot of bullying and huge media pressure to conform to a certain ideal of beauty for example.
You don't think it's hell to have to try to look like Celine Dion?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dbd33
You don't think it's hell to have to try to look like Celine Dion?
Good point but we have Jordan's proportions to aspire to...

An extra 'o' on the end of to at the end of this sentence?
Old Feb 8th 2007, 3:38 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by printer
I nominate this as Freudian typo-slip of the year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.