Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick Tax question

Wikiposts

Quick Tax question

Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:51 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick Tax question

This may be a dumb question and apologies if it is I havent done a whole lot of job hopping
If you work for 2 different companies during the year and max out CPP and EI with both companies does this get sorted out with your tax filing or is their a alternative route to go down to get back the overpayments ?
Old Mar 7th 2012, 4:54 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Tax question

Hi

Originally Posted by nldfc
This may be a dumb question and apologies if it is I havent done a whole lot of job hopping
If you work for 2 different companies during the year and max out CPP and EI with both companies does this get sorted out with your tax filing or is their a alternative route to go down to get back the overpayments ?
If you paid over the maximum you get a refund (credit) when you file your taxes.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:01 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

What PMM says. Same thing happened for me in 2010. Overpaid CPP and EI and got it all back at tax time.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 5:17 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks guys - Thats what I thought but wasnt sure enough to gamble almost 3k on it
Old Mar 7th 2012, 6:49 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by nldfc
So is CPP and EI not centrally tracked? What I mean is say I hit my max with my current company and then move to a new company. Does the new company know not to charge further CPP/EI or do they start again treating you as if you have paid none that year?

Thanks!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by delsol79
So is CPP and EI not centrally tracked? What I mean is say I hit my max with my current company and then move to a new company. Does the new company know not to charge further CPP/EI or do they start again treating you as if you have paid none that year?

Thanks!
They would have no idea, payroll is taken off of CRA tables and deductions based on the credits claimed on the meployees TD1 and TD! provincial. It is not linked to any central database. Payroll tables are issued twice a year, Jan 1 and July 1 and the employer is an unpaid tax collector, in fact they have to pay to collect the taxes.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:18 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

So if I moved company in June of this year I would be fine as in July the new company would get an updated payroll table and see I had paid my max contributions and stop charging me?

Cheers.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:24 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

So if I moved company in June of this year I would be fine as in July the new company would get an updated payroll table and see I had paid my max contributions and stop charging me?

Cheers.
No. The new employer has no idea what CPP and EI you paid in your previous employment. Even if you tell them they are required by law to deduct CPP and EI according to the tables. You get any overpayment back when you file your tax returns.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 7:25 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers.
Nope. They'd start charging you again from zero as if you hadn't yet worked that year.

But at least it would get sorted at tax time.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Works out as a handy little non interest gaining savings account that you have no choice but to pay into
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:45 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

And a nice little earner for the government. They refund the excess contributions individuals make, but not the contributions both employers make.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
And a nice little earner for the government. They refund the excess contributions individuals make, but not the contributions both employers make.
I didnt realise that - Free money for the government then .

Do most companies try and take out the CPP and EI as quickly as possible or do they usually space it out over the year ? My last lot used to try and max them both out in the 1st 6 months
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:04 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Nor did I. That's not kosher.