Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Old May 13th 2012, 1:57 pm
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question re. purchasing laptops

And if you read the original question the person posting here said specifically that her husband wanted to play games
Actually it wasn't, Dotty P's original question was

Are laptops/PC's more/less expensive in Canada than the UK? If cheaper, where's best to buy please?
and then the thread deviated and turned into PC vs Mac
Old May 13th 2012, 5:23 pm
Just Joined

dartd27 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hawk13
Actually it wasn't, Dotty P's original question was

and then the thread deviated and turned into PC vs Mac
Ok it wasnt the original question so i stand corrected but she said a few posts down.

Useful info. Hubby is dead set against a mac but thanks for info anyway. He's mad keen on gaming.

He didnt want a mac and he wanted to use it for gaming. So why enter the convo to say Mac? I didnt even read most of the posts and it was just full of "i use a mac". They didnt read any of what she said.
Old May 13th 2012, 6:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisbrockhurst
Bootcamp works very well. But why tarnish your nice Mac's hard drive
WORD!
Old May 13th 2012, 6:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dartd27
For gamers and hardcore users though i would never recommend a Mac.
Gamers and hardcore users can still use macs. Either with bootcamp or parallells.

Something goes wrong with my machine i fix it within hours. Simple.
Upgrading a computer should be relatively quick and easy.
Something goes wrong with my mac I fix it within hours. Simple. Upgrading a mac is relatively quick and easy.

How many Macs have you taken apart to do upgrades?
All of the macs that have passed my hands. From powerbook through G4 desktop, G5 desktop and Macbook Pro. Swapping out harddrives and putting more ram in is dead easy. I'm even known to have repaired a Macbook from a pint of squash damage. The G5 being the easiest to work with. Although a buddy of mine who is a PC tech was highly impressed with how easy the G4 was to fix.

It's a myth that macs can't be fixed or upgraded by other than mac service techs. Just as it is a myth that macs are invincible. They will break and lately trojans are infecting them. The latter was a given with the increased popularity.

It is also a myth that macs are for dummies. I was one of those who thought macs were toys up until 10 years ago. A dummy will find a mac easier to navigate but they are in no way for dummies. They are for people who wants to have an easy life and not have to tweak registries, or spend hours on their linux installations. It is also a myth that the mac is virus free running windows. It's not the hardware that has anything to do with it. It's the OS.
Old May 14th 2012, 2:13 am
Up Your Kilt

Hawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond reputeHawk13 has a reputation beyond repute

I didnt even read most of the posts
That's just poor forum etiquette, lol.

They didnt read any of what she said.
Just like you didn't read all the posts - the shame.

Anyway, I'm just being a bit of a dink as "thread poaching" does happen when a post goes off on a tangent from the original question.
Old May 14th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
They are for people who wants to have an easy life and not have to tweak registries, or spend hours on their linux installations.
Last time I installed Linux (not counting the custom CDs we use to install at work) I put the disk in the DVD drive, booted the machine, checked a few boxes and half an hour later it was done.

The last Windows install was much worse; it spent three hours repeatedly rebooting and then came up with some arcane cryptography error which, after another three hours of investigation, I discovered was because I'd swapped my original laptop disk for a larger one and some bundled Intel software couldn't handle the change.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:16 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
UAC is largely irrelevant. Yes, it provides a minor road-block when a trojan wants to install a root-kit on your PC, but so what?
Well I agree it's a bad solution but I have found with the dozier users it does stop them from doing stupid things. The real solution is to use a GPO to stop them from being able to install software not to mention about a thousand other things, but if you have someone who uses their own computer (e.g. mom) it does make them stop for a moment and think.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:23 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Last time I installed Linux (not counting the custom CDs we use to install at work) I put the disk in the DVD drive, booted the machine, checked a few boxes and half an hour later it was done.

The last Windows install was much worse; it spent three hours repeatedly rebooting and then came up with some arcane cryptography error which, after another three hours of investigation, I discovered was because I'd swapped my original laptop disk for a larger one and some bundled Intel software couldn't handle the change.
You can prove anything with a sample size of two (or one).

Plus "Linux" and "Windows" cover a pretty broad spectrum.

Most companies (vague I realize) use Active Directory for their NDS, it's rare indeed to encounter someone using Novell eDirectory or something like that.

Windows is piss easy to join to an Active Directory domain. Apple OS is a bit trickier but not terribly difficult. No doubt there's a simple way to do it with Linux but imx it's way harder.

That's just one problem.

Everything has a use though, but anyone who works in IT who tells you they possess and understand more than 1% of all the information about it, or even common information about it is lying. Linux is just a headache for me.
Old May 14th 2012, 7:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by jericho
Most computer users dont want, or need to know how to take their computer apart. Most dont want to add html signatures to their emails, because most people only use it to download stuff, surf the web, and maybe, maybe write some letters, do some basic spreadsheets etc.
IT is a bottomless pit, I will never know how every single thing in Windows works.

99% of users imx have never even attempted to use the admin tools, let alone complicated things like Powershell or regedit. And those are just the super basic things, ever used the WMI CIM Studio to examine WMI objects? Or WQL? Or created a WIM file?
Old May 14th 2012, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Hawk13
How do you find using the iPad as an ereader? I struggled with this one after reading tons of pros and cons and ended up spending less and bought a kindle. I read a ton of books and the kindle works fine but wonder if the iPad would have worked as, like you said, I could ditch the laptop.
Kindle hands down - the iPad is too heavy and cumbersome for long reading unless you prop it up with something. Also its obviously sore on they eyes reading on a computer screen for long periods of time vs Kindle where I have never felt eye strain.

Magazine - yes the iPad for sure but for proper reading Kindle.

PS> this is from someone who loves iPad - just not for reading books.
Old May 15th 2012, 9:00 pm
Forum Regular

jaminsk1 will become famous soon enough

think you can claim the tax back if you are just visiting though.
Old May 16th 2012, 1:53 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I’m a big fan of Linux , I would not use it for a regular install for the average user, granted there is good support on line, and installs in some respects are easier now than Windows , with Live disk and auto hardware detection. Its major down side for the average user is when it comes to the command line, simply put its not where the average user want to be..

I’m going to steal the car analogy to push my case for Windows over OsX, I’d liken the two OS’s to Ford and BMW, no disputing one has a better reputation that the other, however in day to day use you won’t see a difference other than the initial bill and the ongoing service/support, they’re just isn’t the differences now that there used to be in the past, the gap between the OS’s is much much smaller and IMHO so small that the average user won’t run into it anymore
The Ford (windows) will be able to get reasonable and competitive service and parts almost anywhere, in fact highly skilled operators and system experts are quite common, BMW(OsX) you’re restricted to the dealer for over 99% of the time and even though the dealer provides good training, you’re still not guaranteed an expert, just a good link to Head office..

OsX has been selling its self to the public on its historical differences, add in that in part due to their well designed adverts its seen as the fashionable OS

If its true bomb proof virus free/Trojan Web/internet browsing you want, then it’s off to install chromium as a boot to ram web browser only install, and use google apps for all your work…

If however you already own an iPhone, or iPad or AppleTV then its common sense to back it up with a Mac
Or to be slightly more cynical; if you do move in fashionable media circles, and what you wear or carry and the type of shoes you buy is noticed, and image is everything then quite clearly you have only one brand to choose from.. and that's a lifestyle thing, its not bad, just not everybodys choice

Otherwise, save your money buy a mid priced windows machine…

It’s a choice and a choice with a price tag

Last edited by MikeUK; May 16th 2012 at 1:58 pm.