Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Old May 7th 2012, 8:07 am
Cheesy Grin :-)

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light
Default Quick question re. purchasing laptops

Good morning!

We're (finally) heading out to GTA at end of June. Are laptops/PC's more/less expensive in Canada than the UK? If cheaper, where's best to buy please?

Many thanks!

DP
Old May 7th 2012, 8:38 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Quick question re. purchasing laptops

I typically buy macs, and they always seem to be the same price wherever you go. Cheapest would probably be the tax free dixons at UK airport
Old May 7th 2012, 11:31 am
x 0 x

JB0591 will become famous soon enoughJB0591 will become famous soon enough

I personally think that Laptops/PCs are cheaper here when we talk about Windows OS based machines but I would urge you to shop around and not just walk into the local Future Store or Best Buy (think Comet/Currys and you wont be far off).

As the other thread said, Apple regulate the prices of their products and so you wont see much difference in those items.
Old May 7th 2012, 1:02 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I typically buy macs, and they always seem to be the same price wherever you go. Cheapest would probably be the tax free dixons at UK airport
Mac pro definitely cheaper here...the model i bought was the equivalent of 679GBP..in the UK they are 999GBP.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:10 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
Bad advice.

Mac's are significant cheaper in North America.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Try this link for pricing in Canada.
http://www.apple.com/ca/why-mac/compare/
Old May 7th 2012, 2:22 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Laptops and computers don't come with any software bundles here (not that we've seen anyway). I'm campaigning for a Mac next time round.
Old May 7th 2012, 2:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jericho
Bad advice.

Mac's are significant cheaper in North America.
I have bought 2 macs over the last 7 years and on both occasions the ca v uk price has been about the same

looking briefly at the apple store website, cheapest MBP is £999, whereas the CA price is $1249CAD but the UK price includes tax so they are about the same

You might of course get a blow out sale in best buy!
Old May 7th 2012, 2:49 pm
Peter Darwin

pdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond reputepdarwin has a reputation beyond repute

Like anything else you purchase in Canada, you need to shop around as the prices can be dramatically different. Don't discount the big stores either. I've occasionally seen better deals in places like Future Shop or Staples when they have a special offer on something I'm looking for, than on the generally cheaper online stores, like New Egg or Tiger Direct.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:23 pm

Dotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of lightDotty P is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks all,

Useful info. Hubby is dead set against a mac but thanks for info anyway. He's mad keen on gaming and a mac has limited choice of games and you can't fiddle around with a mac as you can a pc (his words, not mine....I'm clueless)

Is tax 13% on all shopping, whether food, clothes, electricals etc etc?
Old May 7th 2012, 7:38 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dotty P

Is tax 13% on all shopping, whether food, clothes, electricals etc etc?
Not on basic groceries but is on prepared foods.
Old May 7th 2012, 7:52 pm

So, for someone like me, who prepares pretty much everything from scratch, tax won't be an issue? But I'm guessing for household/cleaning and toiletry products, it is? So my weekly shop.....taxed at the till for some but not all goods? Yikes, confusing
Old May 7th 2012, 8:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Not on basic groceries but is on prepared foods.
Originally Posted by Dotty P
So, for someone like me, who prepares pretty much everything from scratch, tax won't be an issue? But I'm guessing for household/cleaning and toiletry products, it is? So my weekly shop.....taxed at the till for some but not all goods? Yikes, confusing
That probably needs some clarification. Prepared foods at the supermarket like microwave meals, pizzas, lasagne, cheesecake etc - no tax.

Juice - no tax
Pop - tax
Chocolate - tax

As with many things there may be some variation in different provinces, such as a different rate. Supermarkets also have "tax free" days.
Old May 7th 2012, 8:36 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Generally what is on the ticket price doesn't include tax..so tax is added to your final bill..so if you have $10 in your pocket and you see something for $10..you will end up paying more than $10 when you get to the till.
Old May 7th 2012, 8:37 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

And restaurant food = tax.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.