Questions - vancouver

Wikiposts

Questions - vancouver

Old Jun 5th 2011, 12:30 am
Just Joined

shanethompson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions - vancouver

Help please

i have an interview in vancouver this week (they have flown me over), and have the following questions.
1 - if im offered the role would i me able to work straight away on a temp work visa, whilst they sort out the permanent residency one?
2 - if i'm accepted , what happens with regards to my wife, does she qualify straight away, and can she start to work,

Would appreciate any advice please

Shane
Old Jun 5th 2011, 1:47 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions - vancouver

Originally Posted by shanethompson
Help please

i have an interview in vancouver this week (they have flown me over), and have the following questions.
1 - if im offered the role would i me able to work straight away on a temp work visa, whilst they sort out the permanent residency one?
2 - if i'm accepted , what happens with regards to my wife, does she qualify straight away, and can she start to work,

Would appreciate any advice please

Shane
1. Yes. But they don't sort your residency out, surely you do.
2. Normally if you get a TWp, you're wife could poss obtain an Open WP.

The Wiki at the top of the page is a good start for reading, saves asking questions asked 1000's of times before. Good luck.
Old Jun 5th 2011, 5:56 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions - vancouver

Originally Posted by shanethompson
Help please

This depends. Yes you can work on a temporary work permit (TWP) until you get permanent residency, but first you have to get the TWP. Is this an inter-company transfer? If not, the company will have to either apply for a labour market opinion (LMO) to show that they could not find a Canadian or permanent resident to do the job, or apply to the provincial nominee program (PNP).

If they have a current LMO for the job then you can take the offer of employment and the LMO to the border, get the TWP, and start working the next day. Otherwise you have to wait until the LMO is approved or, if applying for residency through the PNP, you get the nomination letter. Either of these can take between a few weeks to a few months.

If yours is a skilled or management type job then your wife will be able to get an open work permit for the length of your TWP. You apply for residency as a couple.

Tangram's advice to read the wiki section is good. Everything you need to know, and a lot more besides, is there.