Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Questions re Tax Return in Canada

Questions re Tax Return in Canada

Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:37 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Questions re Tax Return in Canada

Hi

Although I have been in Canada since August 2010, this will be the first tax return that I will try to do on my own, so I need some advice please.

I understand that I have to record my earnings between January 2012 and December 2012. i worked from January 2012 until I was laid off in July 2012, I have a T4 for this period. Since then I have been claiming Employment Insurance. My question is, will I get a separate T4 for that, and although they have deducted approx $50 every two weeks from that as tax, does EI have some sort of lesser requirement with regard to the tax they take, or am I likely to owe CRA more money than has been deducted?

Anyone been down this route. I am not in a position to afford to get someone to do it for me this year unfortunately, as I have for the last two filing years.

Any help...gratefully received
Thanks in advance
Stef
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:43 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions re Tax Return in Canada

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi
My question is, will I get a separate T4 for that,
Yes

and although they have deducted approx $50 every two weeks from that as tax, does EI have some sort of lesser requirement with regard to the tax they take,
No, it is just income.

or am I likely to owe CRA more money than has been deducted?
Probably, but difficult to say without more details.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 2:50 am
BE Forum Addict

lins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond reputelins and Stef McLachlan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Yes

No, it is just income.

Probably, but difficult to say without more details.
Hi Thanks for that, so EI is not classified as income? is that what you are saying?
sorry if I appear thick...long day
Stef
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:24 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lins and Stef McLachlan
Hi Thanks for that, so EI is not classified as income? is that what you are saying?
sorry if I appear thick...long day
Stef
Just the opposite. EI is taxable income. It is added to your T4 income to calculate taxable income, then you get credit for the tax the EI people withheld.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Just the opposite. EI is taxable income. It is added to your T4 income to calculate taxable income, then you get credit for the tax the EI people withheld.
Okay, thanks.
Stef